HENDERSONVILLE vs. MARYVILLE 6A Championship

Newcastle

There's a book about the history of HHS I haven't gotten to read. But I believe the first football team was formed in 1941 and a large majority of the team was to be sent off to WWII, so they started referring them as "Commandos" .. Something along those lines. And then I know that the first jerseys were hand-me-downs donated by Vanderbilt, so the black & gold colors stuck. James Franklin actually joked about this in a press conference last year saying "Nowadays I'm pretty sure that'd be an NCAA violation."

Between 1941-1945, 54 Hendersonville "Commandos" served in WWII.

You can add in a lot of factors into the Maryville/Alcoa rivalry.  In fact, the only reason Alcoa exists is because Maryville begged Alcoa, Inc. to come to the area.  They turned down Maryville and built their own town and Alcoa High was born.  Kids that lived in Alcoa also went to Maryville schools when the city of Alcoa was first created, but Maryville kicked them out because of overcrowding and Alcoa had to create their own schools    The two schools played their first football game the same year the school was built, if I am not mistaken.  You also have the factor that Maryville and Alcoa have families that run deep in the area.  Alcoa has a ton of kids that are related to each other either as brothers or cousins, Tysons, Warrens, etc.  Maryville has a lot of players are currently playing and their own father's played.  So the kids grow up cheering for their family's team and take a ton of pride into the game when they finally get to play.  The kids play each other at almost every level.  Alcoa has their own peewee teams that play Maryville teams, and they play each other in middle school, 9th grade, and finally in varsity.  You also have the fact that both teams are excellent.  Maryville is typically less talented, but a bigger school.  Alcoa is smaller but has some of the best athletes in the state.  

It is a pretty crazy rivalry with a lot of disdain built around it.  The game is not as important for the teams because their main goal is a title, but in recent years the winner of the Alcoa/Maryville game has determined whether these teams will go undefeated or have one loss, and that gives them a whole lot of motivation.  It certainly isn't their superbowl, but it is the most important game before the playoffs.

Definitely, a top rivalry in Tennessee if not the nation.

Sumner County has 7 high schools with football in which 4 have won state titles and 2 winning multiple. Hendersonville is making a 4th appearance in a title game looking for it's first win. Between the 5A/6A schools, Hendersonville, Beech, Gallatin and Station Camp, the longest drive is 12.5 miles to the football stadiums. The Hendersonville-Gallatin rivalry has been around since HHS opened in 1941 although Gallatin has been playing in it's current stadium since 1916. You will also see the same families through the years with fathers, grandfathers and even great grandfathers (at Gallatin) that played football. Most every week is a rivalry game. High school football is a wonderful thing in which many experience a commonality.  

Maryville = 235-16 with 15 trips to the state championship game in the last 17 high school football seasons

10 State Championships

4 State Runner-Up

1 State Semifinals

1 State Quarterfinals

In all likelihood you'll change the numbers to 236 wins and 11 state championships after this weekend.

Is there another program in the nation that has owned an entire state like this during the same time span?

I think the main point was that every week is a rivalry in 9AAA. Several of the schools are only minutes apart and the kids have known each other for years, go to church together and frequent the same places. Maryville/Alcoa both have very rich traditions and the rivalry is deep, but it is THE rivalry. Most of their opponents come in each week needing a major upset to win. That's not rivalry. That said, Maryville gets a different teams best shot each week. They walk around with a target on their backs, to beat them is a major accomplishment (that just doesn't happen often).

I believe this will be a much better game than a lot of people think. I expect it to be very physical and hard fought, from whistle to whistle. Good luck to both teams.

Maryville = 235-16 with 15 trips to the state championship game in the last 17 high school football seasons

10 State Championships

4 State Runner-Up

1 State Semifinals

1 State Quarterfinals

In all likelihood you'll change the numbers to 236 wins and 11 state championships after this weekend.

Is there another program in the nation that has owned an entire state like this during the same time span?

GREAT PROGRAM no doubt! And my guess is no to the question of domination, 16 losses in 17 years is ridiculous.

10 State Championships

4 State Runner-Up

1 State Semifinals

1 State Quarterfinals

Yes

http://www.unapproved website.com/m/article.aspx?articleid=756a8319-c92c-429e-b14a-f7366eab0cbd

Okay what coach HAS the best record for the last 10 years?

http://www.unapproved website.com/m/article.aspx?articleid=69715747-28f6-4265-a9b4-7be90be99e38

Neat article

http://collegestats.org/articles/2012/09/the-10-best-high-school-football-towns-in-america/

Edited by notredame66

Maryville / Alcoa is THE rivalry for your area. Maryville rolls thru their competition as Alcoa rolls thru theirs. Thats not disrespect, that's just a testament to Maryville's dominance. My point was for our area, it could be any and all of these games on any given year. Making the regular season seem like one big playoff.

Hville vs Beech... Battle for Hville

Hville vs Gallatin... Historic Rivals

Hville vs Station Camp

Hville vs Mt Juliet

Station Camp vs Beech

Station Camp vs Gallatin... Battle for Gtown

Station Camp vs Mt Juliet

Gallatin vs Beech

Gallatin vs Mt Juliet

Beech vs Mt Juliet... always big

The Wilson County rivalries.. Any game between Mt Juliet/Wilson Central/Lebanon

All of these games are as big as one another in their community. Depending on the year, one may be a bigger factor for winning District. For example, this year it was Hville-SC .. Last year it was MJ-Beech.. Next year, who knows. That's what makes it great. I'm sure some of the Gallatin posters can attest to this.

Edited by insanlylargebarge