HENDERSONVILLE vs. MARYVILLE 6A Championship

Newcastle

HHS has played well as of late.  Seem to have caught lightning in a bottle in the playoffs.  Maryville can't take the week off, but if they show up and play their game, I like their chances.

Also, I got dibs on sittin' next to Mama Starz, it looks like it's going to be cold and as Starz describes her, she should be.....warm.

HHS has played well as of late. Seem to have caught lightning in a bottle in the playoffs. Maryville can't take the week off, but if they show up and play their game, I like their chances.

Also, I got dibs on sittin' next to Mama Starz, it looks like it's going to be cold and as Starz describes her, she should be.....warm.

No chance on Maryville taking the week off. This will be the hardest week of practice this year.
  • Upvote 1

I see that a lot of posters on here are from Maryville and seem to fairly unfamiliar with 9AAA and just the general landscape of HS football over here. Here's a lil breakdown, and hopefully will shed some light on why 9AAA make deep runs in playoffs, and Hendersonville in particular.

The top 2 players in the state of Tennessee play in 9AAA, but regardless of the talent level, Hendersonville will play a big rivalry game just about every week. If you ask Beech, Gallatin, Station Camp student what 1 team they could pick to get a win against ahead of the season, most of them are going to say HHS. But overall, all these teams are big rivals. Throw in Mt. Juliet who's separated by the width of Old Hickory Lake with HHS, you're talking HHS, MJ, Beech, Station Camp, Gallatin... All teams who are in very very close proximity and absolutely hate each other.

A team like Hville has to come to play every week and play a physical brand a football in order to be successful.. Because the majority of the time they're playing a local rival who hates them, and is gonna hit them in the mouth every week. This prepares teams like us, and is the reason you see 9AAA teams make deep runs in the playoffs. Almost every district game in the regular season is like a playoff atmosphere. I've seen a Maryville/Alcoa rivalry game before and know of it's magnitude in the state, but you can see pure hatred with Hendersonville/Beech. It may be lesser known, but both in the same city, and one of us seems to make state every year. I'd put the atmosphere of this rivalry over any, IMO.

Here's a quality video from Beech perspective of the game, you can watch it thru to get an idea of a bigtime 9AAA rivalry game's atmosphere.. Again, this is why I think 9AAA teams make deep runs. They have to bring a physical brand of football every week.

Edited by insanlylargebarge

I see that a lot of posters on here are from Maryville and seem to fairly unfamiliar with 9AAA and just the general landscape of HS football over here. Here's a lil breakdown, and hopefully will shed some light on why 9AAA make deep runs in playoffs, and Hendersonville in particular.

The top 2 players in the state of Tennessee play in 9AAA, but regardless of the talent level, Hendersonville will play a big rivalry game just about every week. If you ask Beech, Gallatin, Station Camp student what 1 team they could pick to get a win against ahead of the season, most of them are going to say HHS. But overall, all these teams are big rivals. Throw in Mt. Juliet who's separated by the width of Old Hickory Lake with HHS, you're talking HHS, MJ, Beech, Station Camp, Gallatin... All teams who are in very very close proximity and absolutely hate each other.

A team like Hville has to come to play every week and play a physical brand a football in order to be successful.. Because the majority of the time they're playing a local rival who hates them, and is gonna hit them in the mouth every week. This prepares teams like us, and is the reason you see 9AAA teams make deep runs in the playoffs. Almost every district game in the regular season is like a playoff atmosphere. I've seen a Maryville/Alcoa rivalry game before and know of it's magnitude in the state, but you can see pure hatred with Hendersonville/Beech. It may be lesser known, but both in the same city, and one of us seems to make state every year. I'd put the atmosphere of this rivalry over any, IMO.

Here's a quality video from Beech perspective of the game, you can watch it thru to get an idea of a bigtime 9AAA rivalry game's atmosphere.. Again, this is why I think 9AAA teams make deep runs. They have to bring a physical brand of football every week.

That is your opinion ... but if you think the Maryville / Alcoa Rivalry doesn't at least match the emotions you're talking about ... then throw in about 26 ( ? is that right ? I can't keep up ) state Championships to the 1 Between you guys and Beech .... again , not trying to be disrespectful at all , but Atmosphere , Physical Football , ya we just might have an Idea about that . 

That is your opinion ... but if you think the Maryville / Alcoa Rivalry doesn't at least match the emotions you're talking about ... then throw in about 26 ( ? is that right ? I can't keep up ) state Championships to the 1 Between you guys and Beech .... again , not trying to be disrespectful at all , but Atmosphere , Physical Football , ya we just might have an Idea about that .

Amount of championships between programs doesn't really determine a rivalry. Look at the Egg Bowl with Ole Miss and MSU for example.. But my comment isn't really intended to compare Maryville/Alcoa with any of our rivalries.. Just showing that there are some big games here that prepare our teams for post season that we play that I think you would just have to attend to understand. No disrespect intended, I'm just talking about our district. I would imagine with Maryville it's very similar. It's the other teams biggest game of the year every game.

Amount of championships between programs doesn't really determine a rivalry. Look at the Egg Bowl with Ole Miss and MSU for example.. But my comment isn't really intended to compare Maryville/Alcoa with any of our rivalries.. Just showing that there are some big games here that prepare our teams for post season that we play that I think you would just have to attend to understand. No disrespect intended, I'm just talking about our district. I would imagine with Maryville it's very similar. It's the other teams biggest game of the year every game.

Well we've also been playing since 1927 , the high schools are 4 Miles apart and we have each had a lot of success . I understand you being proud of your Rivalries we are too . I'm looking forward to learning more about you Guys .