HENDERSONVILLE vs. MARYVILLE 6A Championship

Newcastle

Hendersonville fans, how did they get the name Commandos? Was this an earned nickname, like Rebels was for Maryville or just a school board vote?

I am very familiar with D-9 AAA Football. One of my best buddies from college is a huge Beech fan. I have also been known to frequent Cafe Rakka on New Shackle Island Road in Hendersonville. Mmmm Good.

That #34 looks like he could pose alot of problems for a defense. It will be a battle of wills after hitting him a while. The old defensive coach will have to dial up something special.

Does HHS air it out much?

No, we average about 8 attempts per game. Elston went 4 for 8 against WS for 54 yds with 2 drops. We rushed for 419 yds which put us over 4,000 for the year. If we throw more than 10 times that's usually a bad sign. The 2 half backs (#3 Turner and #10 Towe) are both in the 5-9 170 range, both are pretty quick and both will be back next year as will Elston. Of course you know about Jones who went over 1000 yds for the year against WS (was injured against Brentwood, missed the 2nd half and then the next 4 games including the loss to Gallatin) Has right at 625 yds in the playoffs and is really running well.

You can add in a lot of factors into the Maryville/Alcoa rivalry.  In fact, the only reason Alcoa exists is because Maryville begged Alcoa, Inc. to come to the area.  They turned down Maryville and built their own town and Alcoa High was born.  Kids that lived in Alcoa also went to Maryville schools when the city of Alcoa was first created, but Maryville kicked them out because of overcrowding and Alcoa had to create their own schools    The two schools played their first football game the same year the school was built, if I am not mistaken.  You also have the factor that Maryville and Alcoa have families that run deep in the area.  Alcoa has a ton of kids that are related to each other either as brothers or cousins, Tysons, Warrens, etc.  Maryville has a lot of players are currently playing and their own father's played.  So the kids grow up cheering for their family's team and take a ton of pride into the game when they finally get to play.  The kids play each other at almost every level.  Alcoa has their own peewee teams that play Maryville teams, and they play each other in middle school, 9th grade, and finally in varsity.  You also have the fact that both teams are excellent.  Maryville is typically less talented, but a bigger school.  Alcoa is smaller but has some of the best athletes in the state.  

It is a pretty crazy rivalry with a lot of disdain built around it.  The game is not as important for the teams because their main goal is a title, but in recent years the winner of the Alcoa/Maryville game has determined whether these teams will go undefeated or have one loss, and that gives them a whole lot of motivation.  It certainly isn't their superbowl, but it is the most important game before the playoffs.

Hendersonville fans, how did they get the name Commandos? Was this an earned nickname, like Rebels was for Maryville or just a school board vote?

I am very familiar with D-9 AAA Football. One of my best buddies from college is a huge Beech fan. I have also been known to frequent Cafe Rakka on New Shackle Island Road in Hendersonville. Mmmm Good.

First football team was in 1941. Has to do with WWII. Cafe Racca is about 2 miles from here and worth the trip. Here is the Hville football website. Hendersonvillefootball.com

There's a book about the history of HHS I haven't gotten to read. But I believe the first football team was formed in 1941 and a large majority of the team was to be sent off to WWII, so they started referring them as "Commandos" .. Something along those lines. And then I know that the first jerseys were hand-me-downs donated by Vanderbilt, so the black & gold colors stuck. James Franklin actually joked about this in a press conference last year saying "Nowadays I'm pretty sure that'd be an NCAA violation."

There's a book about the history of HHS I haven't gotten to read. But I believe the first football team was formed in 1941 and a large majority of the team was to be sent off to WWII, so they started referring them as "Commandos" .. Something along those lines. And then I know that the first jerseys were hand-me-downs donated by Vanderbilt, so the black & gold colors stuck. James Franklin actually joked about this in a press conference last year saying "Nowadays I'm pretty sure that'd be an NCAA violation."

Before that if they wanted to play ball a lot of them played for Gallatin. Now how is that for history!!

No, we average about 8 attempts per game. Elston went 4 for 8 against WS for 54 yds with 2 drops. We rushed for 419 yds which put us over 4,000 for the year. If we throw more than 10 times that's usually a bad sign. The 2 half backs (#3 Turner and #10 Towe) are both in the 5-9 170 range, both are pretty quick and both will be back next year as will Elston. Of course you know about Jones who went over 1000 yds for the year against WS (was injured against Brentwood, missed the 2nd half and then the next 4 games including the loss to Gallatin) Has right at 625 yds in the playoffs and is really running well.

Mondo

I think or know HHS can run on MHS

Thing is ........... MHS will pass/run the ball at will agsinst your D......

Stranger things can happen so let's go HHS

Maryville traditionally does very well against teams that are one dimensional and against teams that run the wing-t.  Hendersonville will have to throw the ball against them and keep them honest.  They may not have to do it a ton, but they have to be able to throw it occasionally and make Maryville worry about it.  If they don't then Maryville will load the box and trust the corners on the edges. 

Blackman's mistake was that they went to the pass too much and Maryville got multiple interceptions.  Hendersonville needs to find that happy medium.  If they can run then they need to make Maryville stop the run and then throw an occasional safe pass to let Maryville know that you can throw it.  Blackman got into some long third downs and that was where they turned the ball over.  HHS has to avoid that scenario. 

Also... one of the biggest ways Maryville wins is taking advantage of mistakes and turnovers.  Just take the Blackman game.  Blackman likely goes up 13-0 on Maryville if MHS doesn't pick off a pass.  Instead, Maryville gets a two TDs right after that and goes into halftime leading 14-6.  Total momentum shift.  If HHS doesn't play a clean game then they will have a tough time against the Rebels.

Also... one of the biggest ways Maryville wins is taking advantage of mistakes and turnovers.  Just take the Blackman game.  Blackman likely goes up 13-0 on Maryville if MHS doesn't pick off a pass.  Instead, Maryville gets a two TDs right after that and goes into halftime leading 14-6.  Total momentum shift.  If HHS doesn't play a clean game then they will have a tough time against the Rebels.

MairvulRebulls eye agree thait Blackman shooda runned hit moore inn tha furst haif butt tha scorr wuz 7-6 Mairvul att thait point......Maybee 13-7......Howevur Shinsky maid a grait play thair on thait littull button hook.....Mairvul gott tha bawl att thair own 8 wif 2:30+ left inn tha haif...And az certun az tha sun comes upp inn tha mornin' Mairvul cashes hit inn beefour haif and steal haid 33 seccunds left....

Eye thawt Mairvul purtee well stayed ahead ov tha curve inn tha seccund haif tradin' 2 TD's four a TD and a FG..... :popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

MairvulRebulls eye agree thait Blackman shooda runned hit moore inn tha furst haif butt tha scorr wuz 7-6 Mairvul att thait point......Maybee 13-7......Howevur Shinsky maid a grait play thair on thait littull button hook.....Mairvul gott tha bawl att thair own 8 wif 2:30+ left inn tha haif...And az certun az tha sun comes upp inn tha mornin' Mairvul cashes hit inn beefour haif and steal haid 33 seccunds left....

Eye thawt Mairvul purtee well stayed ahead ov tha curve inn tha seccund haif tradin' 2 TD's four a TD and a FG..... :popcorneater:

Stars, I could be mistaken, but I thought Maryville was down 6-0 when Jackson picked one off.  Maryville then went in to score to make it 7-6.  What I was saying was that Blackman was driving and it didn't look like Maryville was going to stop them but for the interception.  Had they just ran the ball they likely would have scored to make it 13-0. 

Stars, I could be mistaken, but I thought Maryville was down 6-0 when Jackson picked one off.  Maryville then went in to score to make it 7-6.  What I was saying was that Blackman was driving and it didn't look like Maryville was going to stop them but for the interception.  Had they just ran the ball they likely would have scored to make it 13-0. 

OK eye missundurstood which innersepshun ewe mint....Thait play bye big Dylan turned tha hole moemintum ov tha gaim....imo.... :popcorneater: