Early predictions for 8-AA 2014

Before the pre-season I would have said DC would have a legitimate shot at the district with Livingston being the favorite. After watching some practice and the jamboree I think we will be competitive and in the top half of the district but I would say winning the district may be a poor bet to make.

Our lack of team speed is obvious. We do not have any real deep threat and while our running game looks to be solid it does not look explosive enough to force the safeties to cheat up. From what I have seen holes in the opponent's secondary are lacking (unlike what was created from speed with Sonny a couple years ago and Devonte last year drawing attention at the line). Jennings will be a really good QB (and our receivers have pretty good hands) but the ball is being forced into tighter spots and those risks often don't pay off.

I think Coach Trapp will find a way to spread the opposing defense out a bit more during the regular season but we will have to grind out yardage this year much more than in the past few. As much as we have pushed the pace on offense under Coach Trapp, this year may be one that the defense (albeit thin) must lead and pace likely should slow. I am not sure how the DC faithful will like that as we have gotten accustom to big numbers on the scoreboard but W's are never easy to come by and we have to adjust to what we have.

You can't tell anything from a scrimmage so to speak. But you can see how physical your team is at the point of attach and how crip you look. Getting pushed around, penalties, bad snaps, or fumbles are never good signs a week before live action. Not getting lined up or plays called in smothly....that's what you have too look at. How vanilla you play call has a lot to do with who you first game is verse. Not a lot of teams worry past the next game, cause after that there will be plenty of film from every team.

Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

You can't tell anything from a scrimmage so to speak. But you can see how physical your team iss at the point of attach and how crips you look. Getting pushed around, penalties, bad snaps, or fumbles are never good signs a week before live action. Not getting lines up or plays called in smothly....that's what you have too look at. How vanilla you play call has a lot to do with who you first games is verse. Not a lot of teams worry past the next game, cause after that there will be plenty of film from every team.

Penalties...bad snaps and fumbles happen in scrimmages. It's great if they don't....but very common. Those things can be cleaned up. It's much better to happen then than in the first games. You almost hope that kind of thing does happen to see what will happen if you do those things...the consequences...and how your players handle adversity. At that point...it doesn't count except for people that don't know anything.

Penalties...bad snaps and fumbles happen in scrimmages. It's great if they don't....but very common. Those things can be cleaned up. It's much better to happen then than in the first games. You almost hope that kind of thing does happen to see what will happen if you do those things...the consequences...and how your players handle adversity. At that point...it doesn't count except for people that don't know anything.

agree, but compared to the beatdown LA took last jamboree, wasn't a lot of good that came out of it for them. I don't see but one team on LA's regular season schedule that has anything close to what CHS has and they handled themselves pretty well. LA OL and DL looked a little weak but with 2 being out, might be more soild than we seen. Depth will be an issue for them if certin players get banged up. I remember watching Beech a few years ago in jamboree at TC, everyone knew leaving that contest Beech was the team to beat in 5a. I didn't get that feel from either sqaud Saturday. Same as with UHS-White or White-Macon...didn't feel than any of those three will make any noise this season. Haven't seen SC,DC,YI yet but will each by week 4. I stll stick with LA as the favorite, but DC aint far behind.

Man guys really know how to over react. As far as the "vanilla" comment, here is an interview after the jamboree. Straight from Trapp's mouth.

There are a few videos of short clips on there from scrimmages, then there's an interview after the jamboree. Coach Trapp said they kept it really vanilla. The interviewer asks oh so you're not playing all your cards to which he replies, well there's a lot of cards there. So yeah take it how you want. I've been to every scrimmage unlike half the people on here talking trash blindly.

Edit: video didn't work, but it's on the front page of dekalb's football site.

Edited by TigerPride23

Man guys really know how to over react. As far as the "vanilla" comment, here is an interview after the jamboree. Straight from Trapp's mouth.

There are a few videos of short clips on there from scrimmages, then there's an interview after the jamboree. Coach Trapp said they kept it really vanilla. The interviewer asks oh so you're not playing all your cards to which he replies, well there's a lot of cards there. So yeah take it how you want. I've been to every scrimmage unlike half the people on here talking trash blindly.

Edit: video didn't work, but it's on the front page of dekalb's football site.

Ain't that the truth.