Your School's Mt. Rushmore

Here's a little fact for you, 91...

Back then, everyone didn't make the playoffs. So WB would not have had a chance to beat a team like DB in the first round of the playoffs, because there was not a "4 seed" back then. Heck, there wasn't even a two seed until the 90's.

T-Rob took the Govs to Farragut and beat them down on their own turf to set up a district championship game at Oak Ridge, last game of the season, win or go home.

WB lost, but they were in that game, at a time when no other teams would play against Oak Ridge.

Kinda like Alnwick won't play Alcoee now.

Ask the Gov Man, he will tell you. WB would play anyone back then.

a lot of people would disagree but I think a 5-5 or 6-4 team deserves to be in the playoffs depending on their strength of schedule and other things. But regardless of all of that WB usually doesnt even reach those records. They didn't have their first winning season until 1991. As far as playing anybody... I think they still do....before sevier county took them off the schedule they played them every year.... And in 09 they picked up Jefferson County too! So WB was playing Sevier County, Jeff County, Catholic, West, Lenoir City, Maryville, Farragut,and Bearden. How much more brutal could they make that schedule? And as for Alcoa.... I don't know why WB and Alcoa stopped playing each other but i highly doubt it has anything to do with wb being scared of Alcoa... I know that should speak for itself but thats what people keep telling me... But that lack of logic is easily disproved when you consider that WB played maryville every year even when they didn't have to... I dont know the politics behind wb's decision not to play Alcoa but its definitely not because WB is scared of Alcoa.

a lot of people would disagree but I think a 5-5 or 6-4 team deserves to be in the playoffs depending on their strength of schedule and other things. But regardless of all of that WB usually doesnt even reach those records. They didn't have their first winning season until 1991. As far as playing anybody... I think they still do....before sevier county took them off the schedule they played them every year.... And in 09 they picked up Jefferson County too! So WB was playing Sevier County, Jeff County, Catholic, West, Lenoir City, Maryville, Farragut,and Bearden. How much more brutal could they make that schedule? And as for Alcoa.... I don't know why WB and Alcoa stopped playing each other but i highly doubt it has anything to do with wb being scared of Alcoa... I know that should speak for itself but thats what people keep telling me... But that lack of logic is easily disproved when you consider that WB played maryville every year even when they didn't have to... I dont know the politics behind wb's decision not to play Alcoa but its definitely not because WB is scared of Alcoa.

While there have been other variables that entered the equation since WB decided to take Alcoa off of it's schedule that have prevented them from being put back on, I believe the original thought process of the head coach that made the decision was to get Alcoa  off the non-district schedule and replace them with a more winnable game as he was trying to build a young team.  The first two years the Gov's took Alcoa off, they replaced them with Clarksville Northwest (not exactly a football powerhouse in the mid 2000's).  What has always bugged me was that the kids were the ones that had to endure the "Cowards of the County" tshirts and the chants, when they had nothing to do with the decision.  

Fellers looks like eye've missed a lot twoday.....

Hairatige haid sum good teems inn tha lait 70's and urlee 80's....Jack Roberts, Jeff Burns, Danny Mathis, Richard Hyatt, tha Dunn Bros, Tim Wilson, Lee Headrick etc.....

Gov-Man iz rite on tha knew Allin-Wick.... Boy Dawg's littull bruvver wuz good....Whut abowt transfurrs like Ronald Osbourne and Aaron Carson??? And then Cole Lail and hoo cood fergit like jake sed, the Indyun Warpaith Wunder???..... :popcorneater:

Gov-Man...Danny Ray wood maik 2 Rush Moore's...Allin-Wick (old skool) and Mairvul.....He cood nock tha taste outta yore mouth.....

Uvvur Mairvul candydates imo......Carl Stewart, Tommy Beaver, T.J. Miles, Mike Casteel, Larry Johnston.....and tha list goes on..... :thumb:

Edited by STARSNBARS

Albert Davis: best athlete in school history.

David Davis: the shot.

Dawn Marsh: We've never been that good in girls basketball, before or since.

Gary Rankin: the Brian Sommers thing. Whether you agree or disagree with the decision, never met another high school football coach in my life who would make that call.

While there have been other variables that entered the equation since WB decided to take Alcoa off of it's schedule that have prevented them from being put back on, I believe the original thought process of the head coach that made the decision was to get Alcoa off the non-district schedule and replace them with a more winnable game as he was trying to build a young team. The first two years the Gov's took Alcoa off, they replaced them with Clarksville Northwest (not exactly a football powerhouse in the mid 2000's). What has always bugged me was that the kids were the ones that had to endure the "Cowards of the County" tshirts and the chants, when they had nothing to do with the decision.

well thats ok because the county kids know that they play a much tougher schedule than alcoa has ever dreamed of playing. Yes,Alcoa is a better team but the county schools play a tougher schedule... If alcoa thinks they are so tough let them opt to play up in 6A

a lot of people would disagree but I think a 5-5 or 6-4 team deserves to be in the playoffs

And I am one of those people...

But that lack of logic is easily disproved when you consider that WB played maryville every year even when they didn't have to...

I can sum that reason up in one word.

Money.

but would you be singing the same tune if Alcoa was 5-5 or 6-4? All I'm saying is records can be deceiving... Hasn't William Blount already proven that twice? Strength of schedule is more important than overall record imo. But wait I forgot WB doesnt play anybody, they are cowards. Lmao

Albert Davis: best athlete in school history.

David Davis: the shot.

Dawn Marsh: We've never been that good in girls basketball, before or since.

Gary Rankin: the Brian Sommers thing. Whether you agree or disagree with the decision, never met another high school football coach in my life who would make that call.

Tour 89,

Welcome. Agree with you on Dawn. I was limiting myself to football, but if we considered girls basketball...you could add Cait Macmahan to Heritage and Angela Puleo to WB's list.

Concerning Brian Sommers and Coach Rankin. Did he really even have much of a choice? I had always heard there was plenty of evidence involved. But that was hearsay...are you saying he could have kept him on the team?