Your School's Mt. Rushmore

I would agree with Jake about the WB '99 team. Not only did they beat murvil, but also had a big win against hairtage after most of the crowd had left. I think their playoff run was stopped by the eventual State Champ - Sevier County. Or maybe I remember that wrong. I do remember a good receiver and RB on that team. But I am partial to the QB. Somebody off their best team ever should be on the Mt.

Good thread topic. For Henry County I'd have to go with:

James Counce- Most successful head coach we've had. Has amassed a career record of 225-93, including a 122-43 record here at Henry County over two stints as head coach (1984-93, 2010-present), and had been an assistant coach here for several years prior to his first stint as the head man.

John Hudson- Standout lineman here in the 80's and was a major piece of our '85 team, which is still widely considered to be one of our best. Went on to be a starter at Auburn before having a decade long career in the NFL that ended with a super bowl ring as a member of the 2000 Ravens. Currently serves as an assistant coach at Henry County.

Marsalis Teague- Despite how recent he came through, I'd be foolish to leave off arguably the best athlete we've had. Stud player as a DB his sophomore year before having record-setting seasons his Jr and Sr years from the QB position. Went 25-3 over the 2007-08 seasons, was named Mr. Football back of the year in 4A as a senior, and was also named Tennessee's Gatorade player of the year in 2009. Went on to play WR/DB at UT.

Andrew Jelks- Another recent one. The fourth spot was hard to pick, but I had to get at least one player from our championship era on here, and who better than he. Kid was a beast and was the anchor of our offensive line during our '11 championship run. All-District, All-State, and was a Mr. Football finalist his senior year. Currently plays RT for Vanderbilt where he was an All-SEC freshman pick this past season. 

Good thread topic. For Henry County I'd have to go with:

James Counce- Most successful head coach we've had. Has amassed a career record of 225-93, including a 122-43 record here at Henry County over two stints as head coach (1984-93, 2010-present), and had been an assistant coach here for several years prior to his first stint as the head man.

John Hudson- Standout lineman here in the 80's and was a major piece of our '85 team, which is still widely considered to be one of our best. Went on to be a starter at Auburn before having a decade long career in the NFL that ended with a super bowl ring as a member of the 2000 Ravens. Currently serves as an assistant coach at Henry County.

Marsalis Teague- Despite how recent he came through, I'd be foolish to leave off arguably the best athlete we've had. Stud player as a DB his sophomore year before having record-setting seasons his Jr and Sr years from the QB position. Went 25-3 over the 2007-08 seasons, was named Mr. Football back of the year in 4A as a senior, and was also named Tennessee's Gatorade player of the year in 2009. Went on to play WR/DB at UT.

Andrew Jelks- Another recent one. The fourth spot was hard to pick, but I had to get at least one player from our championship era on here, and who better than he. Kid was a beast and was the anchor of our offensive line during our '11 championship run. All-District, All-State, and was a Mr. Football finalist his senior year. Currently plays RT for Vanderbilt where he was an All-SEC freshman pick this past season.

I think you nailed it. My honorable mention or 5th spot would be Joe Gaddis. Even though he didn't win a state title, he brought HC back from some dark days and rebuilt the program.

I think you nailed it. My honorable mention or 5th spot would be Joe Gaddis. Even though he didn't win a state title, he brought HC back from some dark days and rebuilt the program.

Agreed. He was really hard to leave off, not only for rebuilding the program, but also for taking it to places it hadn't been before, even during the 80's and 90's. I love what Counce has done with this program, but I'd be stupid if I didn't admit that a good amount of our current success should be credited to Gaddis for establishing some pretty incredible expectations while he was here.

I also thought about putting Bobby Jelks on there, but he's from way, way back and isn't even directly tied to HCHS, so that didn't make much sense.

There's also a handful of players I strongly considered, a couple of whom didn't have the luxury of playing on great teams but were truly awesome to watch.