It's Time to Separate the Public and Private Schools

@38320

Signal had a lot more students than the Class A/2A playoff limit that year but since it was in the middle of a cycle, got to remain in that group. They aren't the only school to have benefited from that, Walker Valley when first opening had a ton of success playing in Class AA with about 1200 students, went to the state tournament or finished high locally in multiple sports. The class cycle should only be 2 years to help prevent that from happening. Signal then jumped 3A and went to 4A to avoid Alcoa.

agree to some extent, but see some holes in your theory. A few years back....a good Trousdale team lost to a great Signal Moutain team in 2a semi finals. Was it more tradition and better coaching? Or was is due to fact that TC had about 400 students and that's it to draw from in the entire county, while SM had around 450 students at the school but were drawing players out of zone? A Hamilton Co zone that had over 9,000 to pick from. Then suddenly, the very next year they bump to 5a. Yea pretty fishy and they got busted because Hamilton Co is not open zoned. Blount is open zoned and nothing TSSAA can do about it. But when a school has a pay to attend policy, so numbers keep you in 2a, but drawing kids from an population area like a 5 or 6a.....that's more than a "built in advantage". That fee is not only going towards textbooks...trickles into athletics too. I agree some schools and towns have more tradition and better coaching, but put Rankin and his staff at Pickett Co and have him go play Alcoa with any joe blow coaching them and the outcome is still the same. Some of it is talent, - will give you that. But some advantages make the playing field uneven. Would be like giving Bama 5 more schoolarships a year and then say they win based only on " Tradition and Coaching". Yes Bama has more tradtion and better coaching than most schools.....but if you stack more schoolarships(pay to play) on top of that, no one would stand a chance.

Good points but I think you also need to look at what else I said in my original post to discuss some of the things in your post.  The TSSAA has ruled all private schools that play in  D1 cannot provide financial aid to athletes thus they must pay their way.  Therefore if a kid's parents want to pay to send him to a private school then that is their constitutional right.  Secondly in response to drawing from a larger school zone privates have to play up at a higher level due to their larger school zone thus .  As far as open zoning goes I or TSSAA cant help you there I like it because competition should make us all better.  In the end people in Knoxville would move into Maryville and Alcoa district to play football if it was closed zoning.  Also in reference to some schools regardless of coach could not beat other schools regardless of coach.  I guarantee you this if Qualls, Rankin etc moved to pickett county in time they would greatly improve and compete for championships.  Look at What Ron Crawford is doing.  Well that goes back to the uncontrollable advantages or circumstances that exist.  Some schools because of tradition location population etc are going to have a leg up or be better than others before the ball is kicked.  Life isnt fair and all one can do is do the best they can where they are with what they got.    Another argument is people always think city schools have an advantage well their is alot of competiion for athletes in cities like Nashville you have metro schools Williamson county schools and several private schools that are really good at sports.  The talent can get somewhat diluted and Nashville does a pretty good job controlling transfers unlike other cities.  The talent gets diluted or spread out.  Where a place like say Giles County/Marshall County they get all their players though they have less to choose from.  Also most private schools not all but most in D1 do not through tuition fund athletics.  This is not a call for sympathy many privates rely heavily on booster club donations and fundraising and alumni donations to meet budget yes meet budget.  Now many schools do build nice facilities but most tuition dollars are spent on school operations.  In reality the majority of private schools do well to stay in black.  Again not asking for sympathy because many public schools have the same issues.  Lastly the whole purpose of high school athletics is competition and participation.  Many schools know going into seasons know they wont win the state title but they still have great seasons.  Now I like to win as much as anyone but when looking at this from a TSSAA perspective I think they are doing a really good job again they cant legislate against teams circumstances.  

Good points but I think you also need to look at what else I said in my original post to discuss some of the things in your post. The TSSAA has ruled all private schools that play in D1 cannot provide financial aid to athletes thus they must pay their way. Therefore if a kid's parents want to pay to send him to a private school then that is their constitutional right. Secondly in response to drawing from a larger school zone privates have to play up at a higher level due to their larger school zone thus . As far as open zoning goes I or TSSAA cant help you there I like it because competition should make us all better. In the end people in Knoxville would move into Maryville and Alcoa district to play football if it was closed zoning. Also in reference to some schools regardless of coach could not beat other schools regardless of coach. I guarantee you this if Qualls, Rankin etc moved to pickett county in time they would greatly improve and compete for championships. Look at What Ron Crawford is doing. Well that goes back to the uncontrollable advantages or circumstances that exist. Some schools because of tradition location population etc are going to have a leg up or be better than others before the ball is kicked. Life isnt fair and all one can do is do the best they can where they are with what they got. Another argument is people always think city schools have an advantage well their is alot of competiion for athletes in cities like Nashville you have metro schools Williamson county schools and several private schools that are really good at sports. The talent can get somewhat diluted and Nashville does a pretty good job controlling transfers unlike other cities. The talent gets diluted or spread out. Where a place like say Giles County/Marshall County they get all their players though they have less to choose from. Also most private schools not all but most in D1 do not through tuition fund athletics. This is not a call for sympathy many privates rely heavily on booster club donations and fundraising and alumni donations to meet budget yes meet budget. Now many schools do build nice facilities but most tuition dollars are spent on school operations. In reality the majority of private schools do well to stay in black. Again not asking for sympathy because many public schools have the same issues. Lastly the whole purpose of high school athletics is competition and participation. Many schools know going into seasons know they wont win the state title but they still have great seasons. Now I like to win as much as anyone but when looking at this from a TSSAA perspective I think they are doing a really good job again they cant legislate against teams circumstances.

Don't sweat old UCM. He would rather sit around and make excuses as to why his beloved team got whipped 75-18. However, before the game he was tooting his horn about how he thought the game would be close. Then reality set in. Sooooo, now let the excuses begin.... That's typically the situation every time. It's gonna be close, we are that good. 75-18! It was unfair because Alcoa is open zoned. However, if lowerman had won that game, there would have been no mention of zoning.

If Alcoa and Maryville don't need out of zone players, then why do they keep that option for their school, other than needing a few great tuba players, merit scholars, or chess team members? Seems like they are using the Putin propoganda method. We don't have any troops in Urkrane,( WE DON'T HAVE OR NEED OUT OF ZONE PLAYERS).

Edited by throwdaslant

Don't sweat old UCM. He would rather sit around and make excuses as to why his beloved team got whipped 75-18. However, before the game he was tooting his horn about how he thought the game would be close. Then reality set in. Sooooo, now let the excuses begin.... That's typically the situation every time. It's gonna be close, we are that good. 75-18! It was unfair because Alcoa is open zoned. However, if lowerman had won that game, there would have been no mention of zoning.

Where to start. First off, I live in Overton Co home of Livingston Acd. I rooted for UHS being the top team in 8aa in 2013. Just like I will root for for UHS in state basketball tourn now that they are the last standing in 8aa. Would it have been a big accoumplishment for UHS to have beat Alcoa? Yes. Would it have changed the fact that pay to attend open zone schools have a huge advatage, nope. A multiplier for students gained would be perfect for this, just like in private schools. Tradition and coaching has a big influence in the program. So do athletes. I am all for parents being able to move and put their kid in any school they want. That's not the issue. The issue is the ones not moving and paying a fee to attend. I played at Riverdale. I know how the laxed zone rules aided us in late 80's and 90's. How ever good athlete in the whole county somehow wound up on our team. And some from out of county, still not sure how it was accouplished. But when more strict zones were enforced with the coming addition of Seigle and Blackman....Riverdale had to play by the same rules the other 5 schools did, and Rankin left town. Yea, Riverdale is still a good program...but not as dominant, but as a whole, the district is stronger for it.

Also...the number I have received of expected total enrollment at AHS when the new school opens is.......

Wait for it.....

Have fun with that...... :D

I am surprised that they will have that many students. I have total respect for the Alcoa program. Coach Rankin and his staff do a tremendous job of coaching/teaching players the game of football and life. Also, the kids are disciplined and are expected to be good people on and off the field. I am sure that people across TN wish they had the program Alcoa has.  We, at Smith County, have seen the fruits of a Coach Rankin team and have enjoyed every minute of it. Good luck Alcoa!!