It's Time to Separate the Public and Private Schools

@38320

money is just one issue. I am sure most of the facilities at private schools are donated or raised by parents. But check out Enworths facilities say compared to Pearl Cohn, or CAK compared to Austin East. Typically private school parents and boosters are a little higher up the pay scale on average than public school parents.Develope talent? Take a kid like Antonio Richardson, developed by Pearl Cohn, then as a sophmore moves over and plays for Ensworth. That's his and his parents choice. But you can't ask a public school in Knoxville that has to play with kids in a certin zone,after the top athelets are picked threw, to compete with a private school like CAK who can simply get the athletes they need from virtually anywhere his parents are willing to drive in from and pay the tuition. Let the privates play privates. Seperate two divisions in privates based on finicial aide and problem is fixed, end of story. On the public side, TSSAA can't set zones for schools. They can simply count attendence yearly and set classes. If your school has a pay to attend public access..simply put a multiplier on the portion of paying students. Problem solved, end of story. Its not that hard folks.

To be honest I don't care if they split or not.  My kids have a better chance at getting scholarship playing Baylor, McCallie, Ensworth and schools like Alcoa then they would playing rural or small schools like Upperman HS. Not to knock or disrespect Upperman, but colleges want to see you against the best competition, not rolling up numbers against lesser caliber teams. Problem with your argument is the top athletes in Knoxville do go to public schools so hence moot point. Schools like Maryville, Alcoa, Bearden, Fulton and (once upon a time and still in hoops) AE usually get the best players because of tradition.  I've been to schools in the Nashville area like Blackman, Siegel, Wilson Central,Riverdale, etc and they have facilities that make colleges look like rec centers so it's not about public or private its about economics.  If I'm not mistaken didn't Richardson go back to Pearl Cohn? And to say CAK as far as facilities, there are a bunch of public schools in Knox County with better facilities then CAK.  They have outstanding coaches and a system in place.  CAK doesn't hand pick who they want, they develop their kids and compete.

Edited by QSouth89

To be honest I don't care if they split or not. My kids have a better chance at getting scholarship playing Baylor, McCallie, Ensworth and schools like Alcoa then they would playing rural or small schools like Upperman HS. Not to knock or disrespect Upperman, but colleges want to see you against the best competition, not rolling up numbers against lesser caliber teams. Problem with your argument is the top athletes in Knoxville do go to public schools so hence moot point. Schools like Maryville, Alcoa, Bearden, Fulton and (once upon a time and still in hoops) AE usually get the best players because of tradition. I've been to schools in the Nashville area like Blackman, Siegel, Wilson Central,Riverdale, etc and they have facilities that make colleges look like rec centers so it's not about public or private its about economics. If I'm not mistaken didn't Richardson go back to Pearl Cohn? And to say CAK as far as facilities, there are a bunch of public schools in Knox County with better facilities then CAK. They have outstanding coaches and a system in place. CAK doesn't hand pick who they want, they develop their kids and compete.

agree 100% on what college recruiters look for competition wise. I play at Riverdale, and know the dynamics in that area. Also know since Riverdale of the 80's-90's boro has been great but not dominant state wide. Lots of kids end up at BGA,CPA,Ensworth. They all still do well, but you should picking kids from 2000 plus student base. But that not the point. The point of HS athletics is not getting a schoolarship for 99 out of ever 100 kids who play. TSSAA is in place to to try and make it as level playing field as they can. 2 simples rules would go a long way to doing it. And yes Richardson did go back to Pearl half way threw his senior season, but it was grades based.

agree 100% on what college recruiters look for competition wise. I play at Riverdale, and know the dynamics in that area. Also know since Riverdale of the 80's-90's boro has been great but not dominant state wide. Lots of kids end up at BGA,CPA,Ensworth. They all still do well, but you should picking kids from 2000 plus student base. But that not the point. The point of HS athletics is not getting a schoolarship for 99 out of ever 100 kids who play. TSSAA is in place to to try and make it as level playing field as they can. 2 simples rules would go a long way to doing it. And yes Richardson did go back to Pearl half way threw his senior season, but it was grades based.

Is it possible to make it a level playing field for everyone? I'm just curious.