It's Time to Separate the Public and Private Schools

@38320

I don't see any reason to force private schools to grant aid if they prefer not to. Keep the regular season the same. Bunche them all together. But, come play-off time, private competes against private and public against public.

If you separate the schools I foresee problems with transfer issues both ways. If the privates leave the T$$aa, there will really be transfer problems. Parents will send their kids to the school that offers what they deem a priority for their child. Why bash Alcoa, Maryville, Fulton, South Pittsburg, Trousdale, Milan, or CeePeeAaay, Ensworth, Lipscomb, BA or the likes? Instead work harder on building community support, coaching staffs, & work ethics of the kids. Then your team will make the list!  :ugeek:

Ya might send a framed picture of the Gold Ball, some rose colored glasses along with a box of chocolates to Upper. It may me the closest he gets to "The Prize".... :rolleyes:

. I guess you haven't read were I grew up in the Boro(Riverdale), Live in Overton Co, which is Livingstone Acd. Both have won state. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

TEXAS

The largest state in the nation has arguably the biggest high school

football scene in the United States. That scene is divided into two strict classes, public and private schools. Georgia.

A debate that has long existed between public schools and private schools in Georgia has grown to a fever pitch with the completion of the 2008-2009 school year.

And that debate seems to have little, if any, middle ground.

By the time all of the high school sports seasons were completed in late May, private schools had claimed 12 of the 14 possible Class A state championships.

Many advocates and representatives of public schools think that private schools have an unfair advantage in terms of where they can draw their students from. Instead of only having to pick from students that live within county lines, like public schools, private schools can accept students from any reasonably close area.

"You look at their opportunity to draw from one-and-a-half million kids and we draw from 16,000," Banks County football coach Blair Armstrong said of private schools. "How is that fair?"

Armstrong makes the analogy that, if the Atlanta Falcons were only allowed to take players from Georgia and all other teams could take players from all over the country, any NFL fan would claim it is unfair. Or if UGA could only recruit Georgia high schools while other colleges recruited nation wide. It's ridiculous to think there is not an advantage. Who pays for the student athletes to attend a private school, whether it is his parents or a scholarship, makes no difference.

The best example I have is in volleyball. In the Class A state championship you had South Greene with less than 500 students playing Goodpasture who uses the multiplier. Goodpasture had kids from 7 different counties on their roster. Their is no way any true public school can compete with that.

The public school arguement...

Recruiting...This is the big one as far as the public school arguement. Do private schools recruit? Of course they do! There is no debating this. How else are they supposed to atrract students to their school? They have no district requirements. If you tell a private school not to recruit, you might as well ask them to close their doors. There is no way around it. When you read articles in the newspaper about 8th graders and how it was agonizing trying to pick a high school, that pretty much seals the recruiting deal right there. When each private school can hand pick who they want to go to their school, it does create an unfair advantage as far as athletics go. The private schools are getting the best of the best. Not only that, but it takes a kid away from the public school that he or she may have attended.

http://www.examiner.com/article/public-vs-private-should-private-schools-have-their-own-football-division

Participation trophies are the answer. You can't go wrong there and everybody wins. Even throw in some orange slices out of the cooler for the players after the final game of the season. Can't beat that.

or let the public schools have no zones. If a half dozen kids from Lebanon looking to get noticed for football schoolarship want to go to Trousdale and play, let them. Put then on equal footing and play ball. Don't let the TSSAA say no to that, but let it go on at the private schools and still expecvt the two compete together.