It's Time to Separate the Public and Private Schools

@38320

Most public school systems either can't or won't contribute the resources (coaches, money, and facilities) that many private schools do.  A public/private split doesn't dilute the value of a championship trophy any more than it is already diluted.  We already have 6 football "Champions".  If the privates and publics are split, there should probably be 3 public classes and 3 private classes based upon school enrollment without a multiplier.  Let schools play up if they want to. 

Within the public schools, zoning rules can give a particular school a decided advantage.  I believe the TSSAA should adopt a policy that says all legitimately enrolled students are eligible to play sports.  If a local school board says a student can attend a certain school or transfer to another school, that student should be allowed to play sports, period.

There is nothing that can be done about recruiting, public or private.  If a school wants to recruit, they will; and it is difficult to catch them.  I think recruiting should still be prohibited, as it is now, just to keep a lid on it; but nobody is going to stop it.

Split the publics and privates.  Enrollment and eligibility determined by local school boards.  Recruiting still prohibited.

or let the public schools have no zones. If a half dozen kids from Lebanon looking to get noticed for football schoolarship want to go to Trousdale and play, let them. Put then on equal footing and play ball. Don't let the TSSAA say no to that, but let it go on at the private schools and still expecvt the two compete together.

Works for me where do I sign? 

Most public school systems either can't or won't contribute the resources (coaches, money, and facilities) that many private schools do.  A public/private split doesn't dilute the value of a championship trophy any more than it is already diluted.  We already have 6 football "Champions".  If the privates and publics are split, there should probably be 3 public classes and 3 private classes based upon school enrollment without a multiplier.  Let schools play up if they want to. 

Within the public schools, zoning rules can give a particular school a decided advantage.  I believe the TSSAA should adopt a policy that says all legitimately enrolled students are eligible to play sports.  If a local school board says a student can attend a certain school or transfer to another school, that student should be allowed to play sports, period.

There is nothing that can be done about recruiting, public or private.  If a school wants to recruit, they will; and it is difficult to catch them.  I think recruiting should still be prohibited, as it is now, just to keep a lid on it; but nobody is going to stop it.

Split the publics and privates.  Enrollment and eligibility determined by local school boards.  Recruiting still prohibited.

So which path will SM being going, public or private?  :popcorneater:

Works for me where do I sign?

ok finally agree on something.If it were up to me, I would have a public-private split...4 clases for public, 2 for private with classes based on who give schoolarships. Would go from 8 champions to 6. As far as public open zones, a multiplier for the student you enroll outside your core zone. Problem solved. But, if they want to keep the none schoolarship privates with the public schools, simply make everyone open zoned. Some schools can't afford it and won't do it, but most would assign a fee to cover the coast like Alcoa. Either way, you level out the playing field without watering down the championships Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

ok finally agree....if it were I, would be a public-private split...4 clases for public, 2 for private with classes based on who give schoolarships. Would go from 8 champions to 6. As far as public open zones, a multiplier for the student u expect outside your core zone. Problem solved. But, if they want to keep the none schoolarship privates with the public schools, simply make everyone open zoned. Some schools can't afford it and won't duee it, but most would assign. A fee to cover the coast like Alcoa. Either way, you level out the playing field without watering down the championships

I guess we could of agreed to disagree, but where is the fun in that right  B)

I guess we could of agreed to disagree, but where is the fun in that right B)

Correct. I know I sound anti-private school but just the opposite. I just remember back in the day, BA plaing 1A smashing threw everyone and thinking, got to be a better system. The state has went along way, but a few more tweeks would help. I have never been a fan of 6 classes for public...way to many.

Correct. I know I sound anti-private school but just the opposite. I just remember back in the day, BA plaing 1A smashing threw everyone and thinking, got to be a better system. The state has went along way, but a few more tweeks would help. I have never been a fan of 6 classes for public...way to many.

Not sure if you have seen this. Click Here