2014 9-AAA Off Season Thread

MajorZ

My observation from the scrimmage game last night. Just remember that it's early on and alot can change between now and the start of the season. No doubt Chowbay has a cannon of an arm but his short to medium passes has to improve running this spread offense. He made a few good runs. A lot of substituting between the 3 QBs so it is hard to get in the groove of things. I was very impressed with #12 (3rd string QB). His short to medium passes were on the money. I think he should be moved up to the back up role. #4 is a little beast running the ball. #13 (back up RB) also looked good running the ball. The defense looked pretty good. One thing that needs to improve is better tackling in the open. It seems like they got into position to make the tackle and then right before contact their feet got stuck in quicksand which allowed their RBs to make a spin move and pick up several more yards. The O-Line is bigger but needs to get a little more nasty (aggressive). The OTs need to work on their foot speed. I watched the BEARS scrimmages last year and wasn't overly impressed but I think this will be a much improved team. This team (offense) should continue to get better each practice as they continue to learn this new offense that was implemented by M. Duncan (new O.C.) Good luck to the BEARS!

Edited by SCBisondad

Some news from mj has a kid who was a major contributor quit, and with the everlasting drama with the qb will he be there when it counts? This years district can go anyway and should be a very interesting year.

News from scrimmages?

This is old news WCP. If it is who I think you are talking about. He mentioned a time or two on social media that he did not want to go to work outs. Coach replied all of your team mates cant wait to be there and are working their tails off and asked him why he would put that on social media. Then told him if he really didn't want to be there don't come. I was told that before practice started on first day of spring ball he tell coaches he doesn't want to play.

Also to give you an update on the QB position; there is no drama. All is good in the land of the Black and Gold.

My take on the MJ / Siegel scrimmage from last night.

MJ won 3-1 with 1's winning 2-0 and 2's going 1-1 and the three's 0-0. The defense gave up some yards early; but then stiffened and shut down the Stars the two times they got to the Bear 20. The Bear defense looked pretty good. Always tough to get a grip on when both teams are running 10 play series.

I will disagree with SCBisondad on the fact that I thought there were some very nice one on one open field tackles. Point being; just make the tackle. Yes there were a couple missed but you see that in every game at every level during the season.

The Bears are much improved over last year's squad. Much more unity, continuity and desire as a team. New offense looked good considering they have been practicing for a less than two weeks. Everyone seemed to be on the same page and know where they were supposed to be and what they were doing. A few execution errors; but that is to be expected. Seven on sevens will really help. The Bears alternated two QB's with the one's every five plays. All three QB's looked good throwing the ball.

This will be a fun team to watch.

Looking forward to Friday night vs Shelbyville.

GO BEARS !

This is old news WCP. If it is who I think you are talking about. He mentioned a time or two on social media that he did not want to go to work outs. Coach replied all of your team mates cant wait to be there and are working their tails off and asked him why he would put that on social media. Then told him if he really didn't want to be there don't come. I was told that before practice started on first day of spring ball he tell coaches he doesn't want to play.

Also to give you an update on the QB position; there is no drama. All is good in the land of the Black and Gold.

If that is all good to you? Getting kicked off the team, then getting kicked off the basketball team, then you have a different view then I do. I was told the kid that quit, was upset because a the coaches don't know the offense and he was having to do help some of the YOUNG guys, B the hc responding to this on social network and was called into the office for that. C the hc acting like he is above everyone, and d being offered an enhancement to aid his workouts. That was a deal breaker for the young man.

Solid young group, this senior class not so much, but the freshman is promising.

Edited by WCP

If that is all good to you? Getting kicked off the team, then getting kicked off the basketball team, then you have a different view then I do. I was told the kid that quit, was upset because a the coaches don't know the offense and he was having to do help some of the YOUNG guys, B the hc responding to this on social network and was called into the office for that. C the hc acting like he is above everyone, and d being offered an enhancement to aid his workouts. That was a deal breaker for the young man.

Solid young group, this senior class not so much, but the freshman is promising.

Are you the parent or the kid responding to this stuff? 

From an outside point of view, are we living in a time that the kid is always right?  What happened to the time in which what the coach said goes?  Now we live in a time of entitlement.  Let's go through the ABCD list you mentioned.  A) I doubt that no one knew the offense, but I would say considering that it is a new offense they needed all hands on deck.  I am pretty sure that older more established kids are supposed to help out the younger kids because it is a team game.  B) I am glad a coach actually steps up to the plate and holds a kid accountable for their social media accounts.  You know that colleges, recruiters, and job opportunities are base some of their decision on the persons social media account?  We can all find out about an individual's character by checking these accounts.  C)I don't know the head coach, but he does have the term "HEAD COACH" there for a reason.  I am sure that he, just like every other coach, is looking out for the best interest of the team.  If an individual compromises that then they have to make sound judgements on what the next step is.  This goes for business as well.  I am in a business setting myself and I know that if we have one bad egg it can hinder the whole environment.  Some people you have to cut and others cut themselves.  D) My son played with the head strength coach at MJ and talks to him frequently.  The last time we all got together and talked this topic of supplements was brought up.  My son asked him if he promotes supplements to the athletes and he told him that he does not.  He did say that if a kid wants to gain or lose weight that he would help with diet goals, but the only supplement that he would consider telling a kid about is chocolate milk as a post workout recovery drink.  

I don't have a dog in the race because I have no one playing the game anymore in my family, but I do keep up with MJ since that is where I raised my kids.  I was wanting to get on here and read about peoples thoughts on the scrimmage since I was there last night until I read this.  Sometimes little johnny is not always right and they may not tell the whole story.  Usually there is something deeper going on that needs to be addressed.  

Other than that, I liked the competitive spirit of both teams and coaching staff.  It was a fun scrimmage to watch and I wish both teams the best.  

Once again WCP; you don't have your facts straight.

A) QB was NEVER kicked off football team.

B) it's a new offense. Leadership in helping your teammates... this is a problem?

C) I don't know anything about HC getting called into office for this. First I have heard of it with as close to the  program as I am.

D) enhancement aid- supplements like whey protein and creatine and chondroitin sulfate for  strength joint lubrication and weight gain.

Don't make this sound like it is an illegal PED.

if you want to now the truth ( I didn't want to go here )... the deal breaker was he came back the next day wanting to rejoin the team and because of some off the field issues was not allowed back on. Bet you didn't know that did you.

You need to get your facts straight. Don't go slandering an excellent school , program and coaching staff.

By the way; I don't see you on the private board talking about how well " your son " is doing at Ensworth after he left MJ. ( Funny how his name was never on any MJ roster ; but you said he was a starter for the freshman 2 years ago and that he was called up to dress varsity and none of the freshman had ever heard of him ) I would think you would reveling in his state championship and not worrying about MJ.

Solid young group; but the seniors not so much? You don't know what you are talking about.

As for the 2015 senior class. They are great leaders and you wont find any group that works harder then they do . As freshman and JV they were undefeated. Many of them started varsity games and most of them play significant minutes as sophomores.

As for the QB that you thought was kicked off the team . I would take him over any QB in the district hands down.