New T$$AA Divisions!

Isn't single A (football)  almost all small rural schools now?  Sorry guys, but life isn't fair. There will always be communities that have better athletes and facilities than yours.  If your district is not open-zoned, the only thing stopping that is your local school board.  The important thing is to train our children to do their best in whatever they do.

Great programs do come and go.  Once upon a time Springfield was a dominate State power. Also Chattanooga Central comes to mind as well.  Communities that love their football, invest (ie. spend their tax dollars) to make sure that their schools' athletic programs are competitive, others chose not to and whine when they are not successful.

A lot of public school systems spend all of their (ie. tax dollars) trying to educate kids and keep the buildings from falling down.  A lot kids in those schools don't even want to be there.  So . . . the responsibility then falls to the boosters.  Some schools are lucky to have boosters with money, like Signal Mountain and Greeneville.  Some are lucky enough to have single city school boards, like Alcoa, Maryville, and Greeneville.  Oops, does Greeneville get both?  :mrgreen:

Obviously nothing wrong with moving into a zone for the schools within that zone, its done everyday. There is no ONLY reason teams are successful.  There are many reasons , of which one is they can pull from a much bigger talent pool than the teams they are playing.  Why can everyone get on board to bash the privates, (who need it)_ but you dont want your advantage messed with.  Biggest offenders in the system are the open zone schools, hands down.  Look at state champion contenders every year.  I could fix the system tomorrow if given chance.  Publics - stick to your zoned area that is already established but not enforced. Privates - only play students that pay their own way. NO WORK STUDY, no financial aid.  and if you want to participate in TSSAA open your books and your athletes parents  tax returns for audit.  Case closed. 

As I understand it work studies in D1 don't happen.  I think those ended along time ago.  Secondly I don't think the multiplier for schools getting kids from open zone would be effective.  Schools would figure out how many they could take and not be moved up.  They would be crazy not to figure that out.  Also it only takes a few great players to make a difference.  I think one thing to remember is whoever wins there will be people that don't like them and are not going to be happy.   So a level playing field or not people are going to complain.   I do like the fact that other public's do see that advantages of open zone and "recruiting" does happen in public schools.  I think a better course of action would be to simply move open zone schools up a class.  Also closed or open zone will not matter South Pitt will continue to be a power in high school football.  Look at their level of commitment in many ways.

As I understand it work studies in D1 don't happen.  I think those ended along time ago.  Secondly I don't think the multiplier for schools getting kids from open zone would be effective.  Schools would figure out how many they could take and not be moved up.  They would be crazy not to figure that out.  Also it only takes a few great players to make a difference.  I think one thing to remember is whoever wins there will be people that don't like them and are not going to be happy.   So a level playing field or not people are going to complain.   I do like the fact that other public's do see that advantages of open zone and "recruiting" does happen in public schools.  I think a better course of action would be to simply move open zone schools up a class.  Also closed or open zone will not matter South Pitt will continue to be a power in high school football.  Look at their level of commitment in many ways.

D-1 Private schools are allowed to offer work study for up to half of tuition, the amount they qualify for is determined by the clearing house that TSSAA uses.  The parents have to send their financial info including tax returns to this clearing house. Based on this info the clearing house determines how much of the tuition (up to half) that the student can work off.  The school must cut the student a check for the hours worked then they return the money back to the school.  You may think its silly to open the financial records but those same records are what is filed to qualify for the work study.  The shady part of the equation is where does the other half of the tuition come from.  The TSSAA has no way to verify that the other half was paid by the parents. If they are willing to release their records to qualify for work study they should be willing to release them to TSSAA to prove they paid the other half.  If your kid is planning on going to college you have to file a FAFSA form , they dont think its silly

Edited by bigdanteague

Split publics and privates, 2 divisions for privates, aid giving and non aid. As fas as the open zone and magnet schools, look at the number of kids who play any type of sport and determine if they on the school's bus route. If not, they are a transfer. Put a multiplier on the schools who get these transfers on a regular basis. I'm not picking on Adamsville, but I think they are getting alot of kids that buses don't pick up.

Split publics and privates, 2 divisions for privates, aid giving and non aid. As fas as the open zone and magnet schools, look at the number of kids who play any type of sport and determine if they on the school's bus route. If not, they are a transfer. Put a multiplier on the schools who get these transfers on a regular basis. I'm not picking on Adamsville, but I think they are getting alot of kids that buses don't pick up.

I like this except it scares me to separate privates completely.  with no rules for them their recruiting efforts will increase exponentially.  everyone within an hours driving distance of a private will be fair game. at least now they have to do it on the down low which has to curtail it some

I like this except it scares me to separate privates completely.  with no rules for them their recruiting efforts will increase exponentially.  everyone within an hours driving distance of a private will be fair game. at least now they have to do it on the down low which has to curtail it some

I think most privates are within 30 minutes of several large schools. Small schools in large zones just don't cut it. The potential drawing pool is HUGE.

confucuis say...any kid who goes to a school out of his/her natural zone is not eligible for sports...going to an out of zone school should be strictly for academic purposes, not athletics!

confucuis say...any kid who goes to a school out of his/her natural zone is not eligible for sports...going to an out of zone school should be strictly for academic purposes, not athletics!

"Natural zone", is that zip code or bus route? Still say...woodpecker lips...no school can exist in one zip.

Edited by tradertwo

Why?  What about the kid who is good at football and wants to improve his chances of getting a scholarship to pay for his college education?