A/AA State Tournament

DIIA

Your son made a good observation.  CAK played very well and hard and were a class act throughout the match as well as after.  Same can be said for their support.  Officiating at the match was also excellent.

As for players going on to play at the collegiate level, I don't know about CAK.  As for CPA, we graduated 13 seniors.  None of them will play college soccer and only two of them played any level of travel soccer in high school.  We have 6 underclassmen who play on club teams outside of school at various levels.

I was referring to the SR fans who came to support the team.  We have no players going to DI schools to play soccer.  The goalie, Adam Pickett did get a scholarship to a smaller school.  We have several students on the team however, who have DI honors scholastic scholarships.  Almost all student support came from the SR class, because lots of IB kids still taking exams even after graduation looking for International Baccalaureate Diplomas.

So for the first time in FOREVER there were 6 public schools and only 2 private schools in the tournament.  Yet still all you do is complain.  You didn't hear private schools saying "Man, 6 spots taken by publics and only 2 for privates!  MAKE A SPLIT!  This is unfair!"

I, for one, wish there was a split so we wouldn't have to listen to the endless whining.

There is a split, they just choose not to go to D2, so that they can continue to have an unfair advantage over the public schools who cannot recruit, or bring in kids from any distance.  But, I'm sure its fair, that's why none of the public schools who have made it to the State playoffs have won it in several years?  I guess its because private schools just have better coaches, or maybe because they can play travel.  I have heard all of the excuses, but still the fact remains, THERE IS A SPLIT AND THEY CHOOSE TO STAY!!!!  We don't have a choice.

There is a split, they just choose not to go to D2, so that they can continue to have an unfair advantage over the public schools who cannot recruit, or bring in kids from any distance.  But, I'm sure its fair, that's why none of the public schools who have made it to the State playoffs have won it in several years?  I guess its because private schools just have better coaches, or maybe because they can play travel.  I have heard all of the excuses, but still the fact remains, THERE IS A SPLIT AND THEY CHOOSE TO STAY!!!!  We don't have a choice.

And the private schools have a fraction of the students the public schools you belly ache for.

I will point this out again as I did earlier in the thread.

Over the past five years, in A/AA soccer for boys and girls, there have been 80 slots in the state tournament.  Of those 80 slots...

• 72 (90%) have been AA, 8 have been A.  Broken down further... 72 AA (3A & 4A), 7 (2A), 1 (1A)

• 55 (69%) have come from 8 metro counties, 18 from "middle" counties, and 7 have come from single county schools

• 38 private schools, 42 public schools

All 20 champions in soccer from both genders in both A/AA and AAA have come from Davidson, Williamson, Knox, Hamilton, and Shelby, plus one from Sumner.

In AAA, 74 of the 80 state teams since 2009-10 were 6A and only 6 from 5A.

This does not even begin to address the issue of open zoning, charger, or magnet schools.  One side of the public-private debate will say these schools are simply public schools.  Public is public.  The other side will say these are essentially private schools without a $10k+ tuition bill.

In terms of most successful programs in the TSSAA over the past two decades, nothing comes close to the football programs which hail from Blount Count,y which has open zoning and can attract students from surrounding counties. Alcoa has won 8 of the last 10 Class 3A Football titles including 7 consecutive years from 2004-2010. Maryville has been even more impressive, winning 10 of the last 14 5A/6A titles and was runner up in 3 of the 4 years they lost. 

All of this is to point out that while complaining about the public/private disparity, it is not the only disparity and not biggest.

If we are truly interested in wanting to discuss the problems of parity in high school athletics, in addition to private/public... combined classes, revisiting the multiplier, metro/middle/rural, and accepting certain demographics are going to have to be brought into the discussion.