New 32 team 6A Proposal

mjuhb

I'm sorry, but this plan just flat out sucks. I strongly prefer the 5 class proposal, even if it puts us in the state's largest class.

So you would be ok with Henry County being the 4th-5th best program in 5A? In a given year, Maryville, Oakland/Blackman/Siegel, and Whitehaven are going to be better than Henry County. The region they would have to play in would not be a walk in the park either, travel or competition wise

So you would be ok with Henry County being the 4th-5th best program in 5A? In a given year, Maryville, Oakland/Blackman/Siegel, and Whitehaven are going to be better than Henry County. The region they would have to play in would not be a walk in the park either, travel or competition wise

Big picture? No. None of that bothers me. We've done every bit of it in the past. And heck, our current region is not exactly travel friendly anyway. As for other programs being better, youre right, but i personally believe we're better equipped to play in the states largest class than we ever were in the past, and we had some pretty solid years back then.

Not to mention, there's no guarantee we would even be 5a. Our student population fluctuates between 1200-1400 students. We would still likely be one of the fringe schools.

But to be honest, I'm thinking less about us and more about high school football in general. I just think 5 classes would be better.

Big picture? No. None of that bothers me. We've done every bit of it in the past. And heck, our current region is not exactly travel friendly anyway. As for other programs being better, youre right, but i personally believe we're better equipped to play in the states largest class than we ever were in the past, and we had some pretty solid years back then.

Not to mention, there's no guarantee we would even be 5a. Our student population fluctuates between 1200-1400 students. We would still likely be one of the fringe schools.

But to be honest, I'm thinking less about us and more about high school football in general. I just think 5 classes would be better.

Kudos to you, not alot of fans would say that know their favorite team would be at a little bit of a disadvantage. The last time i projected a 5 class system with the complete public-private split, Henry Co. was the 2nd smallest enrollment in 5A, so your right there on the cut line. Personally, I would love to see Henry Co. in 5A, it would give a shot in the arm to the overall quality of football at the state's highest classification

Kudos to you, not alot of fans would say that know their favorite team would be at a little bit of a disadvantage. The last time i projected a 5 class system with the complete public-private split, Henry Co. was the 2nd smallest enrollment in 5A, so your right there on the cut line. Personally, I would love to see Henry Co. in 5A, it would give a shot in the arm to the overall quality of football at the state's highest classification

It sure would be great to see Henry County and Maryville play during the season. I'm sure it would be a very good game to watch with two schools that have so much tradition. Plus it would be a money maker for both schools.

Since all this talk about the new proposal came about, I never really felt like this hybrid proposal would pass.....but reading the article about the Chattanooga area schools meeting with Tommy Layne (Board of Control member), Layne says that he felt like there was no way they were going back to the five class system, and that he thought it would end up being the hybrid proposal that passed.  So maybe this thing has more support than I envisioned.

Since all this talk about the new proposal came about, I never really felt like this hybrid proposal would pass.....but reading the article about the Chattanooga area schools meeting with Tommy Layne (Board of Control member), Layne says that he felt like there was no way they were going back to the five class system, and that he thought it would end up being the hybrid proposal that passed.  So maybe this thing has more support than I envisioned.

Exactly. They wouldnt have kept this plan in the dark unless it was the option they want going forward. Short of something unlikely happening, I would almost be willing to bet money that this is the plan that the BOC passes

When I first saw the Big 32 plan, I though it was a plan that they threw out there to get everybody to accept the other plans. Sort of like when they are making a new highway and everybody objects so they throw two more options on the table to make the first option not seem so bad. I don't know how you tell the 5A's that they have to fight for a spot when the 6A's don't. If they have to have 32 in 6A I would do 32, 32, 64, 64, 64, 64 (approximately) I would only let half of the teams in the playoffs. 6A and 5A could have an 11 game regular season since the playoffs are only 4 games for the champs and runner up. 

Edited by Red Rebels

When I first saw the Big 32 plan, I though it was a plan that they threw out there to get everybody to accept the other plans. Sort of like when they are making a new highway and everybody objects so they throw two more options on the table to make the first option not seem so bad. I don't know how you tell the 5A's that they have to fight for a spot when the 6A's don't. If they have to have 32 in 6A I would do 32, 32, 64, 64, 64, 64 (approximately) I would only let half of the teams in the playoffs. 6A and 5A could have an 11 game regular season since the playoffs are only 4 games for the champs and runner up. 

Not a bad idea, but doesn't the TSSAA get a bigger portion of the gate for playoff games? On top of the fact that admission is higher.....so I couldn't see TSSAA passing anything that would cut out a playoff game.  They could just take the current number of teams in this proposal for 5A and 6A which is 96, and split them in half, and have 5A with 48 teams and 6A with 48 teams, and only 32 goes to the playoffs.  That would get them to their magic number of playoff teams of 32.

Although this would probably take in some teams for 6A that don't want to be there because of the disparity of enrollment.

Edited by jake