New Classification

devilsden

They can move down if a team is willing to move up, but I think the smallest school will have priority over a larger school.

Can someone point me to where this is officially stated by someone with the TSSAA? I've heard and read plenty of speculation, but I've not been able to turn up any guidelines stating that schools can move down. It's certainly not included on the "TSSAA Classification -- Two-Year Adjustment" page ( http://tssaa.org/tssaa-classification-two-year-adjustments/ ) or in the TSSAA's August minutes ( http://tssaa.org/tssaa-board-of-control-minutes-august-2014/ ) when they voted to make the change.

As I've asked on another thread, why must everyone make the playoffs? If 20 schools want to move up, the more the merrier -- but with the understanding that only 32 will make the playoffs. If the whole premise is that larger schools have an inherent advantage, you simply cannot allow schools to move down. It's not been permitted in the past, and there's nothing in this new system that should change that.

Determining who doesn't get into the playoffs, if you add schools to 6A without removing others, would require some thought, but given how few schools would be affected and how weak their argument for inclusion would be, it shouldn't upset the applecart. Should the TSSAA stubbornly insist that 6A must remain at 32 schools, then the only proper thing to do is stick with the largest 32 and, in this class only, not allow schools the option to move up. After all, if enrollment is how you gauge fairness or advantage/ disadvantage, then an imposed disadvantage on affected 5A teams (having to compete with a team that should be 6A but has dropped down) trumps the desire of other 5A teams to move up in order to compete in the highest classification.

Without consistency, ulterior motives become glaringly evident.      

Edited by ErikG

Assuming there are no changes in 6A, I think Gov has it the only way it can go if the TSSAA elects to have four 8-team regions.

What if they choose to do 8 regions of 4 teams though? This would make playoff seeding far easier and early round playoff matchups far more interesting (1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 just like the other classes). Otherwise, you're playing 10 largely meaningless regular season games only to turn around and play the same teams the first couple of rounds of the playoffs (assuming the TSSAA doesn't want to send schools half way across the state for 1st and 2nd round blowouts). The only problem for some schools might be filling out the rest of their regular season schedule, but with overall record removed from the playoff qualifying formula, this shouldn't be as difficult as it was under the z-plan. And it would likely help some of the geographically isolated schools, keeping down travel costs by lining up games closer to home than would be the case with an 8-team region. If they went this route I could imagine the following: 

Region 1: Science Hill, Dobyns-Bennett, Jefferson County, Bearden

Region 2: Hardin Valley, William Blount, Bradley Central, Cookeville

Region 3: Warren County, Coffee County, Riverdale, Oakland

Region 4: Blackman, Siegel, Smyrna, LaVergne

Region 5: Mt. Juliet, Wilson Central, Lebanon, Antioch

Region 6: John Overton, McGavock, Ravenwood, Franklin

Region 7: Collierville, Arlington, Cordova, Bartlett

Region 8: Houston, Germantown, White Station, Whitehaven

Edited by ErikG

With the proposed 5A schools it's far more difficult. I'm assuming they want, as much as possible, to minimize travel (and travel time), maintain the alignments (and rivalries) schools share in other sports, and have some semblance of balance in the number of schools that make up each of the 8 regions. Considering those factors and going only with the 55 schools currently slated for 5A, how about the following (and the districts they're currently in):

Region 1 (8 members)

TN High (1AAA)

Daniel Boone (1AAA)

David Crockett (1AAA)

Morristown West (2AAA)

Morristown East (2AAA)

Cocke County (2AAA)

Sevier County (2AAA)

South-Doyle (2AAA)  

Region 2 (8 members)

Campbell County (3AAA)

Halls (3AAA)

Powell (3AAA)

Oak Ridge (3AAA)

Karns (3AAA)

Knoxville West (4AAA)

Heritage (4AAA)

Maryville (4AAA)

Region 3 (8 members)

Farragut (4AAA)

Lenoir City (4AAA)

McMinn County (5AAA)

Walker Valley (5AAA)

Cleveland (5AAA)

Ooltewah (5AAA)

Soddy-Daisy (5AAA)

Rhea County (6AAA)

Region 4 (6 members)

Franklin County (8AAA)

Shelbyville (8AAA)

Lincoln County (8AAA)

Columbia (8AAA)

Summit (11AAA)     or White County (6AAA)

Cane Ridge (12AAA)

Region 5 (6 members)

Stewarts Creek (7AAA)

Station Camp (9AAA)

Hendersonville (9AAA)

Gallatin (9AAA)

Beech (9AAA)

White County (6AAA)    or Hunters Lane (12AAA)

Region 6 (6 members)

Rossview (10AAA)

Clarksville (10AAA)

Northeast (10AAA)

West Creek (10AAA)

Henry County (10AAA)

Dickson County (11AAA)

Region 7 (6 members)

Brentwood (11AAA)

Centennial (11AAA)

Independence (11AAA)

Hillsboro (12AAA)

Glencliff (12AAA)

Hunters Lane (12AAA)     or Summit (11AAA) 

Region 8 (7 members)

Brighton (13AAA)

Munford (13AAA)

Bolton (14AAA)

Southwind (15AAA)

Wooddale (15AAA)

Memphis Central (16AAA)

Memphis Overton (16AAA)

White County is a real outlier but the quickest and safest (and same time zone) trips to and from Sparta are either Sumner and Rutherford or those southern mid-state schools (Franklin Co., Shelbyville, Lincoln Co.). So for the sake of balanced numbers, wherever White County lands causes a shift, which is reflected above with the 3 "or" alternate guesses.

Stewart's creek would be closer to centennial. I would think Stewarts creek would have to go with Williamson county.

Cane Ridge is closer to Brentwood. You know as well as I do that they will stick some of those metros with Sumner no matter how much we protest. Terrible gates and no fan support.

Can someone point me to where this is officially stated by someone with the TSSAA? I've heard and read plenty of speculation, but I've not been able to turn up any guidelines stating that schools can move down. It's certainly not included on the "TSSAA Classification -- Two-Year Adjustment" page ( http://tssaa.org/tssaa-classification-two-year-adjustments/ ) or in the TSSAA's August minutes ( http://tssaa.org/tssaa-board-of-control-minutes-august-2014/ ) when they voted to make the change.

As I've asked on another thread, why must everyone make the playoffs? If 20 schools want to move up, the more the merrier -- but with the understanding that only 32 will make the playoffs. If the whole premise is that larger schools have an inherent advantage, you simply cannot allow schools to move down. It's not been permitted in the past, and there's nothing in this new system that should change that.

Determining who doesn't get into the playoffs, if you add schools to 6A without removing others, would require some thought, but given how few schools would be affected and how weak their argument for inclusion would be, it shouldn't upset the applecart. Should the TSSAA stubbornly insist that 6A must remain at 32 schools, then the only proper thing to do is stick with the largest 32 and, in this class only, not allow schools the option to move up. After all, if enrollment is how you gauge fairness or advantage/ disadvantage, then an imposed disadvantage on affected 5A teams (having to compete with a team that should be 6A but has dropped down) trumps the desire of other 5A teams to move up in order to compete in the highest classification.

Without consistency, ulterior motives become glaringly evident.

It is today's knoxville paper prep extra online. Maryville may stay in 5 a.

Is Sevier County going to be 5A or 6A? I bet you hope SC doesn't have Maryville in Region anymore.

So should everyone wait for maryville to make an official announcement then everyone could move based on the all stars decision? Sounds like GQ might be scared of DB and the rest of the big schools. This is all a joke why put out guide lines if schools can move. My team is 5a unless maryville stays then it would make since to move up lol!

And the possibility of the new region with tn high Boone crocket cocke county and Motown sounds as bad as iMac. I hope the bears get in with oak ridge and the knox area teams so we don't have to drive to cow pastures all across tn! Oh well guess the Bears will just play whoever the tssaa puts in front of them. They are going to whip the Allstars next year anyway!  :popcorneater:

GoBears!

Edited by gobears89

So should everyone wait for maryville to make an official announcement then everyone could move based on the all stars decision? Sounds like GQ might be scared of DB and the rest of the big schools. This is all a joke why put out guide lines if schools can move. My team is 5a unless maryville stays then it would make since to move up lol!

And the possibility of the new region with tn high Boone crocket cocke county and Motown sounds as bad as iMac. I hope the bears get in with oak ridge and the knox area teams so we don't have to drive to cow pastures all across tn! Oh well guess the Bears will just play whoever the tssaa puts in front of them. They are going to whip the Allstars next year anyway!

An Oak Ridge-SC series would be cool