New Classification

devilsden

Time line says next week is when schools will be given a chance to move up.

Still not sure how they determine who has dibbs of the 5a>Super 32 move up option.

They said first come, first serve.  Is there a specific time when the hotline opens? :rolleyes:

That Childress boy (who I don't like so much, by the way) might have to hire a mediator to sort it out.

Edited by MountainTroll

There has been no update in October so maybe most or all have submitted enrollments by now.

The "Super 32" format still is causing some fussing. If they were absolutely determined to go with such a system, I wish they'd moved up the cutoff a tad to the 48 largest. They could have gone with 8 regions of 6 each, and the cutoff would have been at around 1450. Schools that large should be able to compete with nearly anyone in the state, on the average. Four out of six make the playoffs from each region, so nobody can make the playoffs with a potential 0-10 record.

From there, cutoffs in the current partial split would have been at about 380, 586, 810, and 1117 (six total classes counting the "Super 48"). 52 or 51 schools in each so similar to the largest group.

With a complete split, the cutoff would still be at about 1450 in the large group, and the others would be about 395, 588, 830, and 1129, nearly identical as the other group, 49 or 48 in each class.

There has been no update in October so maybe most or all have submitted enrollments by now.

The "Super 32" format still is causing some fussing. If they were absolutely determined to go with such a system, I wish they'd moved up the cutoff a tad to the 48 largest. They could have gone with 8 regions of 6 each, and the cutoff would have been at around 1450. Schools that large should be able to compete with nearly anyone in the state, on the average. Four out of six make the playoffs from each region, so nobody can make the playoffs with a potential 0-10 record.

From there, cutoffs in the current partial split would have been at about 380, 586, 810, and 1117 (six total classes counting the "Super 48"). 52 or 51 schools in each so similar to the largest group.

With a complete split, the cutoff would still be at about 1450 in the large group, and the others would be about 395, 588, 830, and 1129, nearly identical as the other group, 49 or 48 in each class.

I like that idea for the 48.

"Super 48"

Region 1

Sevier Co. High School FB 1727

Farragut High School FB 1728

Dobyns Bennett High School FB 1856

Bearden High School FB 1897

Jefferson Co. High School FB 2147

Science Hill High School FB 2207

Region 2

McMinn Co. High School FB 1472

Walker Valley High School FB 1565

Heritage High School FB 1570

Bradley Central High School FB 1664

William Blount High School FB 1722

Hardin Valley Academy FB 1851

Region 3

Coffee Co. Central High School FB 1626

Lebanon High School FB 1638

Wilson Central High School FB 1714

Warren Co. High School FB 1821

Mt. Juliet High School FB 1903

Cookeville High School FB 2163

Region 4

Stewarts Creek High School FB 1505

Siegel High School FB 1873

Oakland High School FB 1919

Smyrna High School FB 1998

Riverdale High School FB 2028

Blackman High School FB 2381

Region 5

Hendersonville High School FB 1527

Hunters Lane High School FB 1586

John Overton (Nashville) High School FB 1744

Antioch High School FB 1920

LaVergne High School FB 2133

McGavock High School FB 2159

Region 6

Brentwood High School FB 1596

Cane Ridge High School FB 1603

Centennial High School FB 1655

Franklin High School FB 1747

Ravenwood High School FB 1906

Dickson Co. High School FB 1473

Region 7

Germantown High School FB 2038

Arlington High School FB 2315

Houston High School FB 1788

Cordova High School FB 1851

Bolton High School FB 1952

Collierville High School FB 1978

Region 8

Brighton High School FB 1458

Memphis Central High School FB 1619

Southwind High School FB 1702

Bartlett High School FB 1848

Whitehaven High School FB 2076

White Station High School FB 2263

I didn't look closely at the schools' locations so some could be switched. Seems much better than each getting an automatic playoff entry. Again, with the smallest at the 1450 range, there would likely be little debate about teams having to play much larger schools. One question would be if a Maryville could swap with someone, if each wanted, as is the case now. These are the outdated enrollments, none have been officially announced by the state or TSSAA.

Edited by Indian

Indian, I am assuming you used numbers from a few years ago.  Several of the schools listed are larger now and I know a few that are currently larger than some you listed.  But, I do think you are thinking along a good line.  I just hope everyone knows that this idea is not the brain child of someone in the TSSAA.  North Carolina uses the super 32.  Arkansas uses the "Z" plan that is currently in place.

I understand how they are trying to give a 1050 student school a break and keep them from 2000+ schools, it just seems wrong to give free passes to the postseason. Making the largest group a bit larger would also help the regions from being so spread out. As it stands now Bradley may be in a group with every other team a distance away, for example. There are also problems with spread-out regions in the other groups and some may have 9 or 10 teams so money making rivalries might be affected. That's a result from ending the 3 class regular season. I have said for years 4 classes should be adopted and add a playoff round to make up for the loss of a class or two.