GREENBACK @ GCA

orngnblk

O&B, you are exactly right. Greenback is a VERY good team. IMO, that was a great football game. It was one of those games where I didn't know who was going to come out on top. I will say this, I thought the GCA defense came up big. The Rams still need to find some offense if they have plans on being around in the playoffs for any length of time. After their #2 went down and already being without #6 I didn't know what they were going to do. #25 stepped up and made some plays, that kid is a player. I didn't feel like the refs had that big of an impact. I was confused about the 15 harder at the end, until I figured it out. Pride nailed it, any time there is contact it is an automatic flag. IF, there were warnings then I have no problem. It was a great ball game and I would look for nothing less that for the Greenback folks to be sitting in Cookeville late this year. O&B, seriously I think I would check the work schedule and make sure the first weekend in Dec. is wide open. I may even go as far as to make some hotel reservations. This is the first GB game I have seen in person this year and they are as good as advertised. With that being said, this GCA team just found a way to get it done in the end. Seems to be the theme this year. Not sure about the injuries for GCA but hope they heal up fairly quick. The bye week probably comes right on time for them. Hope Greenback came out healthy, I didn't see any one banged up too badly for them. No matter which team you pull for, everyone there watched a great ball game. Good luck to both teams in the playoffs.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O&B, you are exactly right. Greenback is a VERY good team. IMO, that was a great football game. It was one of those games where I didn't know who was going to come out on top. I will say this, I thought the GCA defense came up big. The Rams still need to find some offense if they have plans on being around in the playoffs for any length of time. After their #2 went down and already being without #6 I didn't know what they were going to do. #25 stepped up and made some plays, that kid is a player. I didn't feel like the refs had that big of an impact. I was confused about the 15 harder at the end, until I figured it out. Pride nailed it, any time there is contact it is an automatic flag. IF, there were warnings then I have no problem. It was a great ball game and I would look for nothing less that for the Greenback folks to be sitting in Cookeville late this year. O&B, seriously I think I would check the work schedule and make sure the first weekend in Dec. is wide open. I may even go as far as to make some hotel reservations. This is the first GB game I have seen in person this year and they are as good as advertised. With that being said, this GCA team just found a way to get it done in the end. Seems to be the theme this year. Not sure about the injuries for GCA but hope they heal up fairly quick. The bye week probably comes right on time for them. Hope Greenback came out healthy, I didn't see any one banged up too badly for them. No matter which team you pull for, everyone there watched a great ball game. Good luck to both teams in the playoffs.

Well if you were watching #1 didnt carry the ball after first quarter,played some D until they pulled him he was in too much pain.Still waiting to hear how bad he was injured.He was a big loss in second half! Edited by orngnblk

Can GB and GCA not play a game in Knoxville and everyone walk away without controversy. in my opinion the stripes stripped GCA of a chance of a solid win. Just a shame the whole game went down like that. It was however a great game!

If you were to ask any Coach or Player if they felt "stripped of a solid win" this morning, I think every one of them would laugh. It was a great game, comeback and win by the Rams that you are trying to tarnish.

The 2 plays that you are crying foul about on your QB were within 1 step, he held the ball too long. Look at the film, if you have that access. Our QB's been getting creamed well after the ball is gone all year and that's the 1st one we've had called all year. I fell out of my chair when we finally got that call. We've discussed the actual rule on the sideline 15 yarder, so that one has also been debunked. Do you have any other phantom flags you want to discuss or are you ready to take the loss and move on?

Bottom line is that I didn't see a flag dropped on GB when they had the ball with just over 3 minutes to go and couldn't run the clock out. The Rams stuffed 'em, and McKamey managed the clock and his timeouts perfectly.

You definitely would know, you had a front row seat over there with them. Again, in HS football, if an official makes contact with a player or coach, it's an automatic 15 yarder assessed to the HC. If it happens again, it's another 15 and the HC is ejected. That part of the rule seems too extreme to me.

I hesitate to post this. Probably better to let this die. But, I just saw video of this incident, and in my opinion, it's pretty ridiculous. The ref is running up the sideline, appears to easily see our coach standing still some 10 yards ahead of him. The play was an over-the-middle pass completion for Grace, and this line judge started from the line of scrimmage. As he's running, the Grace receiver goes to the ground and the play is dead. Because the play is ahead of this ref, he's looking directly up field in the direction of our coach, who is standing motionless, looking onto the field of play.

And here's the kicker: As the ref runs into the coach, he almost INSTANTANEOUSLY throws the flag. Almost like he was planning to make that call. Almost like he was annoyed with the coach standing where he was, and he was going to throw that flag to teach that coach a lesson.

Needless to say, it tacked on 15 yards to what was already about an 11 yard reception at THE MOST CRITICAL MOMENT OF THE ENTIRE GAME. 

Refs should never put themselves in a position to so heavily affect the outcome. 

Now, having said that, Grace played a heck of a second half. Their defense stepped up to force a GB punt and give themselves a chance to win. This post is not about bashing Grace's effort.

But if you deny the impact of this penalty, you're not being honest about the game. The Rams dodged a bullet last night. There's no doubt about that, and there's also no doubt the sideline ref injected himself into the outcome. 

It's not fair for GB fans to whine about sour grapes? Fine. It's equally unfair for Grace fans to not acknowledge the impact of this reffing decision.

Edited by 1925Kee

I hesitate to post this. Probably better to let this die. But, I just saw video of this incident, and in my opinion, it's pretty ridiculous. The ref is running up the sideline, appears to easily see our coach standing still some 10 yards ahead of him. The play was an over-the-middle pass completion for Grace, and this line judge started from the line of scrimmage. As he's running, the Grace receiver goes to the ground and the play is dead. Because the play is ahead of this ref, he's looking directly up field in the direction of our coach, who is standing motionless, looking onto the field of play.

And here's the kicker: As the ref runs into the coach, he almost INSTANTANEOUSLY throws the flag. Almost like he was planning to make that call. Almost like he was annoyed with the coach standing where he was, and he was going to throw that flag to teach that coach a lesson.

Needless to say, it tacked on 15 yards to what was already about an 11 yard reception at THE MOST CRITICAL MOMENT OF THE ENTIRE GAME.

Refs should never put themselves in a position to so heavily affect the outcome.

Now, having said that, Grace played a heck of a second half. Their defense stepped up to force a GB punt and give themselves a chance to win. This post is not about bashing Grace's effort.

But if you deny the impact of this penalty, you're not being honest about the game. The Rams dodged a bullet last night. There's no doubt about that, and there's also no doubt the sideline ref injected himself into the outcome.

It's not fair for GB fans to whine about sour grapes? Fine. It's equally unfair for Grace fans to not acknowledge the impact of this reffing decision.

Great post. And LadyKee keep telling it like it is lol. Sometimes people can't see the forest for the trees. It's time to move on to next week. Love going to Tellico! Great people and great food!

Edited by bballforever

Like I said in my last post I wish just one time these 2 good teams could play at either location and everyone walk away and say that this game was won by the teams and the refs had no part in who won or lost! There was some bad calls by the refs there was some calls that should have been made but wasn't. But it all boils down to if Greenback had scored on their own 1 yard line instead of getting 0 we would have won, If Greenback would have scored touchdowns instead of field goals we would have won. If Greenback comes out the second half and gets their heads out of their butts instead of having to take 2 time outs in the first 5 minuets because we cant count to 11 or run a play, WE WOULD HAVE WON ! But we didn't. Grace came out the second quarter and kicked our butts. They won its over we all need to move on. And I'm sure if we play any other Knox County team in Knox County it will be the same way with the refs. It has always been that way and it aint going to change. Good win Grace you deserved it because yall made the plays when you needed to and we didn't.

Point taken! Great post! During the game I felt like I was watching a scripted game. Like I had read a book and was there to see the movie just in case it might have a slightly twisted ending. I don't want my money back though. It was for the most part a great game. I, like you, just hate it for any team when the refs take the game in their hands if only for a moment. It can be a game changer. Reminded me of the TN/Michigan Sweet 16 game when Stokes was called for a charge. The 15 yard penalty call at that moment should have been a strong warning, but not what we got. It did not impede the ref or the play on the field so why call it? Haven't we heard a million times in games "You're not gonna get that call at the end of a game because the refs aren't going to decide the game"? Just didn't need to happen.

Am I the only one wondering why the coach was standing in the 1 yard lane in front of the play? Now I'm a GB fan & EVERYONE knows my thoughts on private/ public thing but seems to me if the ref could see coach then couch could see ref. why not step back?

Now if coach was behind the 1 yard lane then that's a horrible call. If coach was in the lane, especially in front of the play, then that was a bad decision. I'm in no way bashing the coach or the team, again I'm a huge fan, just asking a question.

Edited by crow

Am I the only one wondering why the coach was standing in the 1 yard lane in front of the play? Now I'm a GB fan & EVERYONE knows my thoughts on private/ public thing but seems to me if the ref could see coach then couch could see ref. why not step back?

Now if coach was behind the 1 yard lane then that's a horrible call. If coach was in the lane, especially in front of the play, then that was a bad decision. I'm in no way bashing the coach or the team, again I'm a huge fan, just asking a question.

Someone explain to me why, in high school football, the referees need to be 1 yard out of bounds? At these small schools there's barely room for coaches and players on the sidelines. Im not convinced that having the ref start out of bounds makes the game safer or easier to officiate, just causes an unnecessary headache.

Oh, and sounds like there was a good football game in Knoxville. Both teams should have successful post seasons.

Someone explain to me why, in high school football, the referees need to be 1 yard out of bounds? At these small schools there's barely room for coaches and players on the sidelines. Im not convinced that having the ref start out of bounds makes the game safer or easier to officiate, just causes an unnecessary headache.

Oh, and sounds like there was a good football game in Knoxville. Both teams should have successful post seasons.

It is supposed to be an open lane for the official to be able to get out of the field of play in the event the play comes to the sideline so they will have an open area to continue to observe from and not physically become involved. Also supposed to provide a clear lane to run (again staying out of the field of play) to follow the play down field without having to watch for obstructions. Lastly, on the visitors side, is to provide uninhibited movement of the chain crew.

Now I completely agree the officials should make a case by case decision but the rule does not state anything about that. I also agree some sidelines are extremely tight and that makes it very difficult to stay out of the lane. It's been my observation that most coaches do like to be right on the edge of the out of bounds line but most seem to stay behind the play and most officials seem to allow this without much issue as long as it's not the entire staff shoulder to shoulder out there. This whole thing just sounds like terrible luck. I am going to let this go after this post, I've already contributed to turning the GCA / GB thread into a rules topic. If folks really want maybe we could start a separate topic to discuss it further.