GREENBACK @ GCA

orngnblk

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is supposed to be an open lane for the official to be able to get out of the field of play in the event the play comes to the sideline so they will have an open area to continue to observe from and not physically become involved. Also supposed to provide a clear lane to run (again staying out of the field of play) to follow the play down field without having to watch for obstructions. Lastly, on the visitors side, is to provide uninhibited movement of the chain crew.

Now I completely agree the officials should make a case by case decision but the rule does not state anything about that. I also agree some sidelines are extremely tight and that makes it very difficult to stay out of the lane. It's been my observation that most coaches do like to be right on the edge of the out of bounds line but most seem to stay behind the play and most officials seem to allow this without much issue as long as it's not the entire staff shoulder to shoulder out there. This whole thing just sounds like terrible luck. I am going to let this go after this post, I've already contributed to turning the GCA / GB thread into a rules topic. If folks really want maybe we could start a separate topic to discuss it further.

Crow it was bad! Video footage from game up close clearly shows the play started on the 50 a pass completed to the 35 and as play was ending and players were going to the ground the ref runs straight up the white sidelines is looking at our DC who is looking straight out to the field standing straight up. Our DC was about at the 40. The ref sees him, keeps going and literally braces himself for the bump while reaching for his flag. If you watch it you would definitely have the same reaction as the GB folks. Our DC had no idea he was about to get hit. The play was in the middle of the field. There were no players anywhere near them. The red knee he was gonna hit him and made no effort to move one inch toward the field of play. He definitely meant to hit him. The video doesn't lie. I don't think this is the intent of this rule and I am sure any legit ref would be a little embarrassed by it.

I hesitate to post this. Probably better to let this die. But, I just saw video of this incident, and in my opinion, it's pretty ridiculous. The ref is running up the sideline, appears to easily see our coach standing still some 10 yards ahead of him. The play was an over-the-middle pass completion for Grace, and this line judge started from the line of scrimmage. As he's running, the Grace receiver goes to the ground and the play is dead. Because the play is ahead of this ref, he's looking directly up field in the direction of our coach, who is standing motionless, looking onto the field of play.

And here's the kicker: As the ref runs into the coach, he almost INSTANTANEOUSLY throws the flag. Almost like he was planning to make that call. Almost like he was annoyed with the coach standing where he was, and he was going to throw that flag to teach that coach a lesson.

Needless to say, it tacked on 15 yards to what was already about an 11 yard reception at THE MOST CRITICAL MOMENT OF THE ENTIRE GAME. 

Refs should never put themselves in a position to so heavily affect the outcome. 

Now, having said that, Grace played a heck of a second half. Their defense stepped up to force a GB punt and give themselves a chance to win. This post is not about bashing Grace's effort.

But if you deny the impact of this penalty, you're not being honest about the game. The Rams dodged a bullet last night. There's no doubt about that, and there's also no doubt the sideline ref injected himself into the outcome. 

It's not fair for GB fans to whine about sour grapes? Fine. It's equally unfair for Grace fans to not acknowledge the impact of this reffing decision.

Just seen the short clip, looks like Scott and Dustin are even in the same plane along the sideline and ref misses Scott and then embraces/grasp for the flag for the hit with Dustin, ridiculous is all that can be said.

An someone mentioned earlier something about the 1 yd white area,  that would be part of the coaches box(2 yds wide from sideline) from 25 to 25.

You people aren't listening to the rule, which is exactly what crow stated. If you are in the white area and an official runs into you, it's a penalty. The coaching staff was warned several times by the line judge to stay back or it would be a penalty, read an earlier post by one of our chain gang guys (87ismine). They refused to listen and FINALLY got flagged. Why keep warning them, the guy should have called it 2x and had Hicks ejected. Read my earlier post, I think that is stupid to eject the HC on that call. 15 yds each infraction is plenty.

This isn't a "mess" as the Oneida supporter stated. It's the rules. Should they not call offsides when the defense is in the neutral zone? What about punching a kid in the neck after the play, should they let that go too? This is stupid. We get hosed more than anybody, and you guys want to cry foul over a call that is a legitimate penalty. I saw the tape. He might have been able to avoid him, but he shouldn't have to avoid him. They were warned several times. Rules are rules, and without them, it's anarchy.

Final point, on this post. We were going to score on that last drive, regardless of a 15 yd penalty. Old MO had switched, especially after we stuffed you guys with the 3 and out. Isn't that what you are really mad about? Your inability to move the ball more than 4 yds and only run off less than 30 seconds? Pitiful. Be mad at yourself, not some official that warned your beloved coaching staff several times to stay out of the box.

Edited by gcapride

'pride & ole 'Knox tag teaming on the T again? Like days of old!

Haven't watched the footage yet but I assure you it was probably a pitiful call...BECAUSE those in stripped shirts, for sometime, have been ridiculous excuses for officials...And if they have any sorta beef with a coach, team, whatever, they will find a reason for those 15 yarders....OnB said they lost the game because they didn't play to win (in so many words)...OnB is usually spot on.

'pride & ole 'Knox tag teaming on the T again? Like days of old!

Haven't watched the footage yet but I assure you it was probably a pitiful call...BECAUSE those in stripped shirts, for sometime, have been ridiculous excuses for officials...And if they have any sorta beef with a coach, team, whatever, they will find a reason for those 15 yarders....OnB said they lost the game because they didn't play to win (in so many words)...OnB is usually spot on.

Close.I said we could have won but it didnt work out The kids played hard and fought till the end.Grace beat us regardless if the ref ran into us(i saw the footage i also saw it from field level)The coach WAS IN THE 1 YRD AREA,and yes i am GB fan-one of the biggest,but if you dont want a flag get out of the way sorry guys as i said earlier it is what it is,this wont change anything.We didnt make plays when we needed to.The game plan was good it worked well all night,have to execute every play.This is it for me on this one.

12. Sideline Administration 

A. The restricted area for football players and coaches, 25-yard line to 25-yard line, shall be 

distinctly marked. 

B. When the ball is live no one shall be within 6 feet of the sideline. When the snapper 

touches the ball the restricted area will be cleared. All players and coaches shall be 

in the team box.

C. The team box shall be located a minimum of 2 yards from the sideline from the 25-yard 

line to the 25-yard line and distinctly marked. The area in front of the team box is the 

restricted area. A non-player shall not be outside of the team box unless to become a 

player or return as a replaced player. 

D. A “get back†coach should be appointed to keep all team members, team attendants, and 

coaches in the team box. 

E. Failure to comply with restricted area rule (NFHS 9-8-3): 

First Offense – Sideline Warning (Signal 15) 

Second Offense – 5-yard foul (Signal 29) 15

Subsequent Offense(s) – 15-yard foul (Signal 27) 

F. Unintentional contact with an official in the restricted area is an immediate foul – 15 yards 

(see NFHS rule 9-4-8) 

Close.I said we could have won but it didnt work out The kids played hard and fought till the end.Grace beat us regardless if the ref ran into us(i saw the footage i also saw it from field level)The coach WAS IN THE 1 YRD AREA,and yes i am GB fan-one of the biggest,but if you dont want a flag get out of the way sorry guys as i said earlier it is what it is,this wont change anything.We didnt make plays when we needed to.The game plan was good it worked well all night,have to execute every play.This is it for me on this one.

Well said O&B...you are a class guy. You guys have a lot of football left to play, look for you guys to make a deep run in the playoffs. Hope Anderson is not too banged up.