Sullivan South 2015

SECPowerHouse

Hey South, are you guys ready for Boone on August 21? You better be because I can guarantee the Blazers are going to line it up and hit you square in the mouth.

Meanwhile, back on planet earth.....

But don't worry, it really won't hurt too bad because we just don't have the guys this year to do any real damage. We just hope that South lost enough to graduation that we can keep it close.

them boys just dont like each other very much do they? Boone will ALWAYS smack you in the chops....they just dont usually have the knockout punch to go with that jab.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devils had alot of kids missing for spring practice. So many so, that they cancelled the "green n white" game that was suppose to close out spring. I was able to get over to watch practice a couple times though and the new qb is polar opposite of quan harrison. Bigger kid, cannon for an arm, BUT, dont quote me on this, i THINK this will be his first time playing qb.....atleast, i know it will be his first time at this level. I dont think it's any surprise who folks around here are clammoring to see take the snaps for the mean greene, but only Coach B knows when or IF that will be. IMO, cade is gona be a record breaker at GHS, but I wont heap to much praise on him until he records his first TD pass or run. As for this season, I see our O and D lines being the strength of the team, but we've got some great skill players returning and as per usual, the backfield will be well represented and speedy. At this point, I dont have much to offer you in the way of news.In fact, you are probably as much in the know as i am about the Devils. I will still be covering the Devils for youtube this season, but i'll miss a few games, as your niece is now a member of the WG Color Guard....cant wait for the season, hope to be able to see my neph play a game this fall too.

South vs Greeneville will be a monster game.Look forward to your vids and hope to catch a game sometime with the Devils.I heard about the color guard.That's great.I know you will support her .Football is not the first choice for mine even though he isn't bad at it. I'll support him as long as he enjoys it Edited by BatmanDB

them boys just dont like each other very much do they? Boone will ALWAYS smack you in the chops....they just dont usually have the knockout punch to go with that jab.

BVD you are so right.    There used to be a youtube video from 2010 showing a fight in round 2 playoff fight between these teams.     They cleared the field and several players got suspended for the next game (and of course booted frm the current game)

BVD you are so right. There used to be a youtube video from 2010 showing a fight in round 2 playoff fight between these teams. They cleared the field and several players got suspended for the next game (and of course booted frm the current game)

I always called this game the backyard brawl even before that 2010 game. Some of my best friends are TrailBlazer alums/supporters and we have a lot of fun with it every year.

....Sounds like your incoming 9th is loaded....l

Hey Bat, just for clarity sake, I don't have a team.  No Homer here.  I'm not from here originally and no real ties to any school.  I have really enjoyed watching some schools more than others, as I bop around from place to place on Fridays in the fall.  It's easier to be a fan of some programs due to the way they play and the character they show.  I'm a fan of all the Friday Night kids really.  On the otherhand, some places do have fans that I enjoy watching eat crow, because they yak so much.  They know who they are, and everyone else can pick them out of the crowd... ;) 

Hey Bat, just for clarity sake, I don't have a team. No Homer here. I'm not from here originally and no real ties to any school. I have really enjoyed watching some schools more than others, as I bop around from place to place on Fridays in the fall. It's easier to be a fan of some programs due to the way they play and the character they show. I'm a fan of all the Friday Night kids really. On the otherhand, some places do have fans that I enjoy watching eat crow, because they yak so much. They know who they are, and everyone else can pick them out of the crowd... ;)

i know how you feel....some of these fans around here are unbearable....THANK GOD Greeneville doesnt have any fans like that .....wink wink

i know how you feel....some of these fans around here are unbearable....THANK GOD Greeneville doesnt have any fans like that .....wink wink

It is nice to pull out my state championship stuff you got me every now and then.No talk is needed when it's a fact.I know some Devil fans have got a little over the top but can you imagine all fans from any other local team being perfectly humble if they had been to three state games in a row and won two of them.I apologize to the South fans ,not trying to hijack your thread,there just isn't a lot of local fans talking football.The last time I seen you guys this quiet was before the 2010 DB game when DB was a heavy favorite and you guys came to J Fred and gave the Tribe a game to remember. Edited by BatmanDB

• 1 month later...

Kingsport Times News Article

Big front leads Rebels football into new era

July 30th, 2015 9:45 pm by PAT KENNEY

KINGSPORT — In 2014, the Sullivan South Rebels were loaded with skilled position players and hoping an inexperienced offensive line would grow up in a hurry.

The tables have turned in a big way this season for South.

“Last year, we had 14 players score points for us,†said Rebels coach Sam Haynie at the South football media day. “Thirteen of those guys were seniors.

“This time around we have an experienced line and have to hope they can carry us until the skill players can get up to speed.â€

The Rebs' experience up front includes Tanner Duncan, Cade East, Josh Bewley, Carter Trinkle, Andrew Kern and Austin Boggs.

South fans need not despair, Haynie and his staff are optimistic about the upcoming season.

“We’ve got a bunch of good kids who understand the winning tradition here at South,†said Haynie. “They’ve all played a ton of football for us, but now they are getting their first opportunity to play full time on the varsity.

“They are all working very hard in practice,†added Haynie.

With the TSSAA realignment, South finds itself in a new league that includes Cherokee, Seymour, Sullivan Central, Greeneville, Sullivan East, Grainger and Volunteer. The Rebels' non-conference schedule includes long-time rivals Daniel Boone, Tennessee High and Gate City.

“With the exception of Seymour and Grainger, we’ve played all of these teams pretty regularly,†said Haynie. “The schedule is exciting and we’re fired up about it.â€

Another big change for the Rebels will be at the quarterback position. After years of maturity at that position, South will be led this year by sophomore Ethan Ward.

“We’ve joked that for years our quarterbacks drove themselves to practice,†said Haynie. “Now our quarterback is dropped off by his mother.

“Ethan has a big learning curve but is athletic and very talented,†added Haynie. “He’s possibly as intelligent a player as I’ve ever coached. He really gets it.â€

With Ward at the helm, the Rebels will see some modest change in their offensive scheme.

“We’ll still run some of our same stuff,†said Haynie. “But we’ll be more of a pound-the-ball type of offense.â€

Haynie’s big concern for the Rebels is depth.

“We’ll be asking guys who only went one way last season to play on both sides of the ball this year," he said.

“We need to stay healthy and not have to go too deep on the depth chart."

A big plus for South is a senior class that has won 21 games over the past two seasons.

“We’re not naive about our weaknesses,†said Haynie. “But we have a tradition of winning here and that’s really big. We’ll just keep playing and building.â€

Starting his sixth year as head coach at South, Haynie knows what’s important.

“This business is about relationships. The winning is what we all want, but in the end you’re watching kids grow and you’re motivating them to battle through adversity," he said.

“When they do that it’s a teaching moment and that’s what it’s all about.â€

I don't know what to expect from this team

• 2 weeks later...