State Semifinal: Maryville at Oakland

BigDave1967

I think the big question in this game is whether Oakland's OL comes to play or just keeps reading their press clippings.  I have a hard time understanding why they can't move the ball better when every one of them is a future Outland trophy winner and multiple all-pro.  :rolleyes:

Sort of kidding on that but for all the press they've gotten the holes for the RBs sure have been small and few.  

Maryville will win special teams. They always win special teams because they have a great special teams program that just reloads every year. If they get a free touchdown from special teams...game over.

Oakland probably has a better defense but Maryville definitely has a defense that compares very favorably. If Oakland's defense has their best game of the year...game on.

Offensively, Maryville scores points in bunches and Oakland struggles to get much done.  If Oakland is forced to pass...game over.  If Oakland is forced to play catch-up...game over.  If Oakland can get the power run game going...game on.

So....

My take...Oakland only wins if the OL finally lives up to their billing, every play, for 48 minutes.  Otherwise, just too much Maryville.  

This is definitely a different 'Boro team than what Maryville has seen in the past.  Siegel and Riverdale were finesse teams and Blackman is just offense by broken play.  Oakland doesn't do a lot of fancy stuff but they're pretty darn good at the physical, field position game.

Maryville 31, Oakland 14

I really expected to be playing Blackman and so did most other Rebel fans and getting to play a game before this one against a quick Q.B. that S.H.. had would be good practice for a game with Jennings again but surprise that's not the case. I'm very scared of this one the more I watch film. When Oakland and Blackman played on ESPN i said then that Maryville could not beat the Blaze this year and now Oakland steps in. I will watch more film of this team but right now if people from Maryville are starting to count chickens I'm afraid their going to come up a few short from what I've seen.

I really expected to be playing Blackman and so did most other Rebel fans and getting to play a game before this one against a quick Q.B. that S.H.. had would be good practice for a game with Jennings again but surprise that's not the case. I'm very scared of this one the more I watch film. When Oakland and Blackman played on ESPN i said then that Maryville could not beat the Blaze this year and now Oakland steps in. I will watch more film of this team but right now if people from Maryville are starting to count chickens I'm afraid their going to come up a few short from what I've seen.

It's interesting that last year most folks expected to play Oakland and got Blackman and this year most folks expected to get Blackman again and got Oakland. It proves there is no such thing as a sure thing, except for Maryville being in the semifinals. Fifteen straight years in semifinals ( including 6 straight in 6A) qualifies as a sure thing in my book. :rolleyes:

I watched some of the Oakland vs. Blackman video and the Patriots are impressive. However, I think they lack the offensive diversity to beat Maryville. In some years (like 2009), Oakland's type of "smash mouth" football probably could have beaten Maryville but the 2014 Maryville team is too physical. Just my opinion, but I think Maryville's defense will shut Oakland down and although Oakland's defense is very good, Quarles will find their Achilles Heel and find a way for the offense to generate enough points to win.

Edited by Norman Dale

It's interesting that last year most folks expected to play Oakland and got Blackman and this year most folks expected to get Blackman again and got Oakland. It proves there is no such thing as a sure thing, except for Maryville being in the semifinals. Fifteen straight years in semifinals ( including 6 straight in 6A) qualifies as a sure thing in my book. :rolleyes:

I watched some of the Oakland vs. Blackman video and the Patriots are impressive. However, I think they lack the offensive diversity to beat Maryville. In some years (like 2009), Oakland's type of "smash mouth" football probably could have beaten Maryville but the 2014 Maryville team is too physical. Just my opinion, but I think Maryville's defense will shut Oakland down and although Oakland's defense is very good, Quarles will find their Achilles Heel and find a way for the offense to generate enough points to win.

BUMP! Great post! If you watched the special teams plays on that video Oakland could be in for a long night! Oakland has a very good defense as does Maryville! Coaching goes to the Rebels! Like any game execution will be key...ie... turn overs, stupid penalties neither team can afford those. Should be a defensive battle!

Not that any of this matters but it sure does make you think the stars may be aligned for the Pats this year. 

Oakland 1984, Riverdale 1994, Riverdale 2004.....I see a trend LOL

Here's another one

Oakland won it all in 1984, 1998, and 2008....in each of these years they defeated either the defending state champions or runner up from the previous year in the playoffs

1984 defeated Jefferson County (runner up in 83)

1998 defeated Riverdale (champion in 97)

2008 defeated Smyrna (champion in 06 and 07)

2014  ???

GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!

Not that any of this matters but it sure does make you think the stars may be aligned for the Pats this year.

Oakland 1984, Riverdale 1994, Riverdale 2004.....I see a trend LOL

Here's another one

Oakland won it all in 1984, 1998, and 2008....in each of these years they defeated either the defending state champions or runner up from the previous year in the playoffs

1984 defeated Jefferson County (runner up in 83)

1998 defeated Riverdale (champion in 97)

2008 defeated Smyrna (champion in 06 and 07)

2014 ???

GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!

You sound like espn when they do stuff like tom Brady is 10-0 in below 32 degrees when he has a 100 plus yard rusher and his mom makes his favorite breakfast... Good facts though that is impressive...