State Semifinal:Rhea County at Knox West

BigDave1967

Ok. You guys need to get your stories straight. Did you just win by 7 because of the "home-cooking" or because you lost your best defensive player? Watch the tapes and make sure the refs didn't trip that defensive player. And yeah, I was there from 6 PM until my son came out of the locker room. Saw every play.

What the heck are talking about? I just stated that we lost a darn good ball player the first play of the game.

You won the game. I seriously can't believe you guys are on here moaning about it.

Again, I'm not a West fan, I'm just sick of officials making themselves a part of the game! Nobody is there to watch them but so many want to make themselves more important than they really are. I'm moaning and griping about it because it is an atrocity!

Those guys weren't from Rhea County. They were from the Clinch Valley Association. They were some of the worst I have ever seen, most all the "Bad Calls" went against West. But Rhea did get some .too.

That being said West got a taste of the very good Rhea County team that just played Oak Ridge. Those kids were tough and deserve all the respect they get.

West deserved to win that game last night, they ran over Rhea in the first half and showed a lot of guts hanging on and winning the game.

I just hate to think Oak Ridge may have to face one of them next year. 

To address some of these blatantly bogus accusations I would like to begin with the fact that we are in the semifinals of the state football championships.  To imply refs would openly cheat for a team is asinine in and of itself.  Refs miss calls in every game at every level.  I for one think they made some bad calls both ways and I will list a couple that went against Rhea County. 

On one of West's first three drives there was a big pass interference call that went against Rhea County where the safety timed his hit perfectly and was called for a bogus penalty.  That was 3rd down and 15. 

West scored a touchdown on a quarterback tuck and run on a 3rd and 17, where I counted at least 2 blatant holding infractions. 

So while you are saying the score should have been 35-0 at the half minimum, I would respectfully like to disagree and say it should have been maximum 14-0.  Did I mention that Rhea County lost 3 fumbles in the first half as well.  West completely outplayed Rhea County in the first half, but they had some assistance on their way to the 28-0 half time lead.

On to the second half and the calls in question. 

We fumbled a kick off and due to your incompetence in the special teams as you committed a substitution infraction resulting in a re-kick.  That is not cheating that is making you follow the rules. 

The only really strange call was on the interception that West would have eventually returned for a touchdown.  The call was the correct call.  It should just have not been blown dead.  There was a offsetting unsportsmanlike conduct on both teams which meant the down would be replayed.  That doesn't seem like cheating to me either.  

A touchdown thrown to a tackle?  Number 85 plays end and also had two touchdowns against Oak Ridge. 

Finally.. Rhea's last first down was obvious pass interference, and we run the wing-t, so the motion penalty you are looking for is actually a back in motion.

Also if you want to complain about losing your best defensive player on the first play of the game go ahead.  Rhea lost it's most dominating physical presence on both sides of the ball in Jacob Williams in the first half.  He didn't play after half time.

Why can't you people just give all the credit to the kids on both sides of the ball, for playing their guts out for a chance to win it all.  Refs didn't win or lose this game it was decided by the coaches, and their preparation for this moment. 

Congratulations West and good luck next week.

Doesn't surprise me to see opposing fans leave Rhea complaining about the refs, it's pretty much what Rhea is known for.

I watched lastnight's game on tv and i saw several bad calls but the 2 that stand out to me was the penalty on the West kickoff and the other was the inadvertent whistle taking away the West interception.

I've heard stories abt the refs down that way but didn't believe it until last night.