CLASS A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP: UNION CITY VS. COALFIELD

JDOGG80

I'm gonna make one statement on this and that is all I am going to say. I know UC is a very large 1A school. That's a fact that is no denying. We are at the top of the 1A enrollment numbers. If I were in a smaller school I would probably have a problem with this situation and would feel resentful towards the larger school. Having said that I will add this. Someone has to be the largest school. Whether it's UC or some other school. Someone has to be the smallest school whether it be CF or some other school. It may seem unfair when schools from opposite ends of the spectrum end up in the Championship game. But the reality is that both schools play in the classifications that is set up by the state. When the time comes, and it will, that UC has to move up to 2A we will do so. Until then we will play where we are classified. Now having said that I want to add one last thing. UC has only been dominant the last two years. So being a large 1A school doesn't necessarily determine success. There have been years when we got put out of the playoffs in week one. Our current success is based on this very simple fact. Our kids and our coaches have worked extremely hard to get to where we are. Open zoning or not. We haven't always been on top. There were years when we couldn't beat a 1A team with a winning record. I remember the 07 season very well. We got shut out in week one by Jackson Christian School. After that season Coach Bowling came to UC and we started turning the program around. In the 08 season we got put out of the playoffs in week 2 by McKenzie who made it to the Semis and that is where they stopped. In 09 we won our first State Championship. Remember I said it was our first championship. The next 3 seasons were average at best. Then came this group of kids we have now. And that is where all of this success has come from. This group is the first group of kids that participated in our Jr football program. Every year since they first started we have been filling the pipeline with kids that want to play football. Each grade has their own team. Some are good some are very good. The point I'm trying to make is that it's about the kids and the time you invest in them is what builds champions. We have been a large 1A school for a long time now but are only recently been dominant. I hope this makes sense. If not I can't say anymore and won't. I will not comment on this a y further because there is nothing more I can say. I will leave the rest of this discussion to you fine coachters.

Big Swo remember a few years back when we were the smallest 2A school in the classifications and had to go far and wide just to fill a 10 game schedule. there were Ky. schools 3A and 4A on the schedule. Just a thought!!!