CLASS A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP: UNION CITY VS. COALFIELD

JDOGG80

Touching on the classification debate for a second here. UC is atop the 1A class this is true. Peabody, a team UC handled is at the bottom of 2A. Each are playing for a gold ball on Friday. Even if UC was moved up to being the smallest 2A school they would still be winning a gold ball. If I am correct I also believe Alcoa is the smallest 3A school but decorate their Christmas trees with state rings. Because at the end of the day it's 11 on 11 and true champions will step on the field against any other 11 because they believe whole heartedly the player across from them isn't better. And if they are they will not be on that night. With that being said coalfield doesn't stand a chance. The East has just hit a wall.. Also the west has better 1A and 2A schools throughout usually with the exception of the East having one or two powerhouse teams. I think the competition level in the region of UC is the best in the state. I don't think coalfield would have gotten out of the first round here. UC puts the game away in the first quarter and gives everyone valuable playing time.

UC really is a machine offensively and run the veer to perfection. The QB makes good, extremely fast, reads making it nearly impossible to defend. As a football fan it was actually quiet a treat to watch live.....

Then to top it off their defense is well coached, disciplined, and explosive. This would be an uphill climb for any team 1A through 3A w/ the exception of a hand full of 3A teams (3-5 maybe).....

No disrespect to Coafield they should be very proud to have made it to the title game, win or lose, the whole experience will be something their football program will benefit from, but they will be doing well to prevent the mercy rule and running clock.......

I say UC takes it 56-7 Good luck to both sides and hopefully there are no serious injuries.....

Edited by Kevin38

Big Swo remember a few years back when we were the smallest 2A school in the classifications and had to go far and wide just to fill a 10 game schedule. there were Ky. schools 3A and 4A on the schedule. Just a thought!!!

THIS is an excellent post...I have been saying this on here for years...We just played the games...Nobody complained...It just got to the point we couldn't compete...We had to move down...That decision wasn't made lightly either...Our program was built to be a strong 2A program when there were only three classifications...That is why we have such fine facilities...These kids are reaping the benefits of the blood, sweat and tears poured out of the players before them and coaches like Larry Shanks, Randy Barnes, Barry Duncan etc...Plus all that, we even dabbled in 3A and went to the playoffs in consecutive years against White House and Portland...