Tennessee's next O.C. is right under their nose in Maryville.

BarneySox2007

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it the best choice for Tennessee's next O.C. would be G.Q. at Maryville.  The best up and coming coaches (Freeze and Malzahn ) in the SEC were coaching high school football just a few years ago and jumped right into big positions in college and neither had the track record G.Q. has.  I'm glad Bajakian has moved on because he was the weak link in Butch Jones chain along with the offensive line coach. There is no need to go out and pick up someone that has been everywhere under the sun because they will move again like a Gypsy. There would be no better coach than G.Q. for that position and most say he wouldn't go but see what happens when the money talks. There is no doubt in my mind he is well qualified for that job and setting right under Butch's nose.

The best choice??? Out. Of. Your. Mind.

While GQ is one heck of a coach who has built Maryville into one of the best programs in the Southeast, saying he would be the BEST choice for the OC job at Tennessee is a little far reaching.  Could he recruit?  Kids from Texas, Georgia, Florida, California don't care about Maryville and what he's done there.  Could he transition from being the culture guy/head man to just a coordinator?  GQ is a great man.  He's a great coach.  He's got a monster of a program in Maryville.  Let's be honest though, part of his success is the product of getting to coach against inferior high school coaches who just try to copy him.  Using the TE in pass routes wouldn't confuse the crap out of Saban like it does the coaches in this area.  Just saying.

I only say this cuz I want Tennessee high school football to be seen on national TV and Maryville represents the best we have to offer...Coach Q has done a great disservice to us all by NEVER playing an out of state team. Maryville can compete against the best the USA has to offer. They may not win but the other team would know what pain feels like the next day. I only hope Maryville changes their thinking and whips some of the top teams in the nation before Coach Q is retired.

With this said, i still hate Maryvill but respect the heck out of them and hope this doesn't sound like an attack on them. I hope Maryville wins it all in 2015 but know they could do more than a state title.

You know what you get when you cross the state line to play a football game? SCREWED over a good home cooking. Never fails. When I was a senior at Maryville high we went to Middlesboro Ky. for a good home cooking and that should be a lesson for an eternity in my book. Nothing to gain playing the home team across state lines.

I only say this cuz I want Tennessee high school football to be seen on national TV and Maryville represents the best we have to offer...Coach Q has done a great disservice to us all by NEVER playing an out of state team. Maryville can compete against the best the USA has to offer. They may not win but the other team would know what pain feels like the next day. I only hope Maryville changes their thinking and whips some of the top teams in the nation before Coach Q is retired.

With this said, i still hate Maryvill but respect the heck out of them and hope this doesn't sound like an attack on them. I hope Maryville wins it all in 2015 but know they could do more than a state title.

Mail your check to:

MHS

825 Lawrence Ave.

Maryville, TN 37801

1. Hugh Freeze

2. Gus Malzahn

Your theory has been debunked.

Neither of them went from coaching at the high school level right into becoming a OC at an SEC school. That is a huge, huge swing. I have no doubts Quarles would be a quality OC, but dues would have to be paid first. UT will not offer him the OC job. I would love to have him as a position coach though. 

Freeze went from HS coach in 2004,  to assistant athletic director for football external affairs at Ole Miss in 2005. The following season, he became the tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator, positions he held through 2007. After that season, he replaced head coach Ed Orgeron on an interim basis before the hiring of Houston Nutt. Freeze interviewed for the offensive coordinator position with Nutt, but the position eventually went to Kent Austin. In January 2008, Lambuth University, a member of the NAIA, named Freeze its head coach. In 2010, he joined the staff at Arkansas State as offensive coordinator after a brief stint as offensive coordinator at San Jose State University. In 2011 he became head coach at Arkansas State for one season and then left for greener pastures at Ole Miss.

Gus Malzahn  coached HS ball until 2004. In 2005 he joined Houston Nutt's staff at Arkansas. He was a WR coach, and labeled CO-OC but didn't actually call plays. It's common knowledge he was awarded that label because his HS team had 4 highly touted recruits that he persuaded to commit to Arkansas and join him. These players were 5 star qb Mitch Mustain, Ben Cleveland, Andrew Norman, and Damian Williams. In 2007 Malzahn went to Tulsa to become the real OC, and assistant head coach. In 2008 he then became OC at Auburn. In 2011 he became head coach at Arkansas State. Last but not least, in 2012 he became head coach at Auburn.

My point is, even the best HS coaches in the county don't simply go from coaching at the HS level, to becoming OC at a SEC school. Like I said, dues must be paid first.

Neither of them went from coaching at the high school level right into becoming a OC at an SEC school. That is a huge, huge swing. I have no doubts Quarles would be a quality OC, but dues would have to be paid first. UT will not offer him the OC job. I would love to have him as a position coach though. 

Freeze went from HS coach in 2004,  to assistant athletic director for football external affairs at Ole Miss in 2005. The following season, he became the tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator, positions he held through 2007. After that season, he replaced head coach Ed Orgeron on an interim basis before the hiring of Houston Nutt. Freeze interviewed for the offensive coordinator position with Nutt, but the position eventually went to Kent Austin. In January 2008, Lambuth University, a member of the NAIA, named Freeze its head coach. In 2010, he joined the staff at Arkansas State as offensive coordinator after a brief stint as offensive coordinator at San Jose State University. In 2011 he became head coach at Arkansas State for one season and then left for greener pastures at Ole Miss.

Gus Malzahn  coached HS ball until 2004. In 2005 he joined Houston Nutt's staff at Arkansas. He was a WR coach, and labeled CO-OC but didn't actually call plays. It's common knowledge he was awarded that label because his HS team had 4 highly touted recruits that he persuaded to commit to Arkansas and join him. These players were 5 star qb Mitch Mustain, Ben Cleveland, Andrew Norman, and Damian Williams. In 2007 Malzahn went to Tulsa to become the real OC, and assistant head coach. In 2008 he then became OC at Auburn. In 2011 he became head coach at Arkansas State. Last but not least, in 2012 he became head coach at Auburn.

My point is, even the best HS coaches in the county don't simply go from coaching at the HS level, to becoming OC at a SEC school. Like I said, dues must be paid first.

I knew all of this.