Tennessee's next O.C. is right under their nose in Maryville.

BarneySox2007

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither of them went from coaching at the high school level right into becoming a OC at an SEC school. That is a huge, huge swing. I have no doubts Quarles would be a quality OC, but dues would have to be paid first. UT will not offer him the OC job. I would love to have him as a position coach though. 

Freeze went from HS coach in 2004,  to assistant athletic director for football external affairs at Ole Miss in 2005. The following season, he became the tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator, positions he held through 2007. After that season, he replaced head coach Ed Orgeron on an interim basis before the hiring of Houston Nutt. Freeze interviewed for the offensive coordinator position with Nutt, but the position eventually went to Kent Austin. In January 2008, Lambuth University, a member of the NAIA, named Freeze its head coach. In 2010, he joined the staff at Arkansas State as offensive coordinator after a brief stint as offensive coordinator at San Jose State University. In 2011 he became head coach at Arkansas State for one season and then left for greener pastures at Ole Miss.

Gus Malzahn  coached HS ball until 2004. In 2005 he joined Houston Nutt's staff at Arkansas. He was a WR coach, and labeled CO-OC but didn't actually call plays. It's common knowledge he was awarded that label because his HS team had 4 highly touted recruits that he persuaded to commit to Arkansas and join him. These players were 5 star qb Mitch Mustain, Ben Cleveland, Andrew Norman, and Damian Williams. In 2007 Malzahn went to Tulsa to become the real OC, and assistant head coach. In 2008 he then became OC at Auburn. In 2011 he became head coach at Arkansas State. Last but not least, in 2012 he became head coach at Auburn.

My point is, even the best HS coaches in the county don't simply go from coaching at the HS level, to becoming OC at a SEC school. Like I said, dues must be paid first.

Edited by wingman10

Neither of them went from coaching at the high school level right into becoming a OC at an SEC school. That is a huge, huge swing. I have no doubts Quarles would be a quality OC, but dues would have to be paid first. UT will not offer him the OC job. I would love to have him as a position coach though. 

Freeze went from HS coach in 2004,  to assistant athletic director for football external affairs at Ole Miss in 2005. The following season, he became the tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator, positions he held through 2007. After that season, he replaced head coach Ed Orgeron on an interim basis before the hiring of Houston Nutt. Freeze interviewed for the offensive coordinator position with Nutt, but the position eventually went to Kent Austin. In January 2008, Lambuth University, a member of the NAIA, named Freeze its head coach. In 2010, he joined the staff at Arkansas State as offensive coordinator after a brief stint as offensive coordinator at San Jose State University. In 2011 he became head coach at Arkansas State for one season and then left for greener pastures at Ole Miss.

Gus Malzahn  coached HS ball until 2004. In 2005 he joined Houston Nutt's staff at Arkansas. He was a WR coach, and labeled CO-OC but didn't actually call plays. It's common knowledge he was awarded that label because his HS team had 4 highly touted recruits that he persuaded to commit to Arkansas and join him. These players were 5 star qb Mitch Mustain, Ben Cleveland, Andrew Norman, and Damian Williams. In 2007 Malzahn went to Tulsa to become the real OC, and assistant head coach. In 2008 he then became OC at Auburn. In 2011 he became head coach at Arkansas State. Last but not least, in 2012 he became head coach at Auburn.

My point is, even the best HS coaches in the county don't simply go from coaching at the HS level, to becoming OC at a SEC school. Like I said, dues must be paid first.

Gus himself says he was the off coord/ wr coach at Ark

Edited by wingman10

Gus himself says he was the off coord/ wr coach at Ark

That may of been his "official" title, but he was not running the offenses for Arkansas during the 05-06 seasons. His main duties were strictly coaching WR's. Go watch high lights from Arkansas's offenses back then, and compare it to his tenure at Tulsa when he was completely in charge. They just added the co-oc to his title to stroke his ego, and so they would be sure to get Mustain and Williams. While at Arkansas, you can give Gus credit for installing the "wild hog" package with McFadden running it, but that's about as far as it goes. I mean use a little common sense, and read between the lines. See it for what it truly was!  Why would he leave a SEC school if he really was the OC, to go to Tulsa for the same position? That would be a major downgrade career, and money wise.

Edited by DCTIGERFAN

One name.....Gerry Faust. High school coaches don't always translate. Ask Notre Dame.

No dog in this hunt, but it is interesting that you have to go back to 1981 to bring up that one. 

Besides, I don't see anybody in this thread suggesting that GQ should go from being the head coach at Maryville High School to being a head coach at a "power 5" caliber college program.  

The bottom line is that Freeze and Malzhan have both proved that it is quite possible to go from being a high school coach to being a quite successful major college coach.  There are different routes to get there, but they have proved that it can be done.  

Edited by HTV

That may of been his "official" title, but he was not running the offenses for Arkansas during the 05-06 seasons. His main duties were strictly coaching WR's. Go watch high lights from Arkansas's offenses back then, and compare it to his tenure at Tulsa when he was completely in charge. They just added the co-oc to his title to stroke his ego, and so they would be sure to get Mustain and Williams. While at Arkansas, you can give Gus credit for installing the "wild hog" package with McFadden running it, but that's about as far as it goes. I mean use a little common sense, and read between the lines. See it for what it truly was!  Why would he leave a SEC school if he really was the OC, to go to Tulsa for the same position? That would be a major downgrade career, and money wise.

don't disagree...just stating fact and you stated the same..why in the heck did you think something else...good grief

Hey guys the man on the sports call in radio show says it can't be done so we all believe him and that's why we think this way.  You can say what ever you want and you can say dues have to be paid but G.Q. can run a better offense than what we saw last year at Tennessee no doubt. Guess some people can swallow hard and watch him win fifteen or twenty more championships at Maryville an you can mark that down in the books. The question won't ever be who will be number one but who will be number two.

I truly believe if George Quarles was to leave Maryville, David Ellis and Jim Gaylor would call it quits also. That is a huge reason to see GQ stay at Maryville. I saw what happened when Ted Wilson and Don Story left Maryville. Like Pepvol told me one time. He said he hopes GQ coaches at Maryville till he is 80.

Barney. These fans not showing up are crazy. I believe a lot of fans take it for granted. I remember Maryville going 20 years without a championship. I remember a lot of teams kicking Maryvilles butt. I remember thinking Maryville winning championships was a thing of the past. I told my nephew at the 96 championship games that Maryville would never win a title again. 2 years later Maryville did it. I was so glad to be wrong. Watching Maryville win State and going 15-0 never gets old to me. I would like to see Maryville go 15-0 every year.