Riverdale throwing game

ecu

I was at the game. What I saw was girls for BOTH teams making deliberate blatant plays. Intentional 3 second calls, 10 second calls, 5 second calls, missing FT's intentionally by shooting air balls or slamming the ball against the backboard. Riverdale did not attempt to take a shot till seconds remained in the game. There is such a thing as holding the ball to preserve a lead or take the last shot. I have never have witnessed a game where each team purposely tried to lose a game. If neither team wanted to win..... WHY PLAY THE GAME.

If each coach has more concern about getting a better seeding by losing a game there has to be a better way to do it than what I witnessed.

Someone needs to start posting videos/examples of teams that overachieved, teams that beat better opponents, teams with heart and desire, teams with coaches who go above and beyond to do the right thing.  Those are the stories of winners and the ones we all like to hear.  I'm gonna be looking for some to share.  Anyone got something?

Guess that it's a moot point now, but since I did the research...

1-5 2010 Scotts Hill loses to Middleton 31-66...beatdown at Middleton.

2-13 Another loss, at home 47-53...much better.

2-23 District championship win! 32-31....hope they didn't lay everything on this one game.

3-3 Region championship's. 41-31...solid ten point win over a more athletic team that everyone thought was a lock to take both district and region.

You never concede the win to an opponent, no matter how good, nor for positioning. Those two wins are two of the most memorable in the school's history of girls b ball, and propelled them to the state tourney. 

I regret that the players were cheated of their chance to beat their rival (by the coaches), and to experience the rest of the tournament (as punishment for the coaches actions), especially the seniors.

To those angry about the posts applauding the TSSAA's decision, save it for your coaches...their actions alone put your kids in this position. If no written rule was broken, the spirit of competition was violated, and the punishment was just. I would have been OK with suspending the head coaches from both teams and replaying the game, and the winner designated the #4 seed for regional's...just to give the kids an honest chance...they bear no responsibility, but were punished just the same.

As much as I think that what Riverdale and Smyrna did was wrong, I think this is a dangerous step to take.  If you have the current format, it is going to happen again and again.  Next time, it may not be as blatant, but it will still happen.  If something had to be done, I really think the step to take should have been to ban the coaches from the rest of the post season.

I can remember a few years ago when an AA team, that will remain unnamed,discreetly lost a game to duck a team that the coach didn't believe he could beat. The team that lost that game went on to win the state tourney. Of coarse it was denied that the game was deliberately lost, but it was common knowledge at the time that it happened. Several of the fans from that school joked about it for years.