Pearl Cohn at CPA

footballguru26

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PC is a very good team, with some excellent skill players. Their QB is a very good player - best passing QB I have ever seen at PC in the many years I have watched them play. #6,#2 are as fast and quick as you will often see in HS.

This game was very close, and could have easily ended differently. PC kept getting in long yardage situations due to penalties, and CPA gave up a lot of long yardage 3rd down plays. Both teams had long plays called back on penalties (CPA's was a TD).

The turning point was at the end of the 1st half, when PC was about to score and retake the lead. With about 40 seconds to go, CPA sacked the PC QB on 4th down, and then hit for a quick TD in the last 30 seconds.

I would not be surprised to see PC in at least the semis in 4A. CPA holds on barely and now goes to Ensworth to keep their 37 regular season win streak intact.

Edited by sportsnerd

Great HS football game between two really good teams that wouldn't quit. It really was like watching two heavyweight fighters go at it and neither could put the other away.

Tons of respect for Pearl Cohn. Ferrell is a really good dual threat QB. Vaughn is a tough runner that is hard to take down. Was also impressed with Groves and Parker for PC. If they stay positive they should go far. They've played a really tough schedule so far. Coach Brunetti is not afraid of anybody.

Big shout out for CPA. Still playing with out a couple of key players but able hang on and get a win.

Zack Weatherly had a huge night at QB and was 18-25 for 348 yards and 2 TDs. Price Pardue had another huge night receiving including a 70 yard TD reception. Some other less heralded guys stepped up with big plays as well. CPA gets a much needed bye week before taking on Ensworth.

I found out after the game that #2 is the sophomore brother of the quarterback.

I'm used to seeing our guys run down the other team's fast players but that wasn't happening tonight. #1, #2, and #6 were very exciting to watch.

Who was out in CPA's secondary? I've never noticed Zach playing defense, but maybe that's just me.

PCHS plays Muscle Shoals next. Their record won't be great, but they'll be a force in the state tournament.

Wallace Barrett has been out since 1st Qtr of Knox catholic game. 2 way starter at RB and S. Gray McCullough a normal starter at CB is out. Hope to get Wallace back by Ensworth game.

Credit the athleticism and downfield blocking of PC. Their receivers are athletic and able to make people miss and get YAC. PC is a good team.

Perdue #9 had a great game and so did Weatherly, but the star of the game for CPA was #55 - LB Cole Smith. He got hurt in the Catholic game, didn't play last week, was less than 100% last night.

IMO, he literally 'willed" CPA to this win. he had to come out at least 4-5 times to shake off pain and cramps, but when he was in he was all over the field. He prevented a few long plays chasing down PC backs at the sideline, and made the last play on 4th down PC play to prevent the first down that would have probably ended in a tying TD for PC.

Sometimes, the stats don't really reveal the MVP of a game.

Perdue #9 had a great game and so did Weatherly, but the star of the game for CPA was #55 - LB Cole Smith. He got hurt in the Catholic game, didn't play last week, was less than 100% last night.

IMO, he literally 'willed" CPA to this win. he had to come out at least 4-5 times to shake off pain and cramps, but when he was in he was all over the field. He prevented a few long plays chasing down PC backs at the sideline, and made the last play on 4th down PC play to prevent the first down that would have probably ended in a tying TD for PC.

Sometimes, the stats don't really reveal the MVP of a game.

#9 looked incredible. I couldn't believe what I was seeing out there. He won every jump ball and drug one of the PC defenders 20 yards into the end zone. Was Chip Ohmer shaken up on the kickoff. That was the first visit to CPA for me. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and people there.