Give an opinion..............about new playoffs

coach763

A very real chance Warren County goes 0-10 this year. They might get Sequatchie in a few weeks but that would be a mild upset.

Someone in another thread predicted they would be the first team in Tennessee history to go 0-11, and at this point I'd say that's pretty good odds.

Obviously yes, they'll get Maryville 1st round...

Edited by THE SQUAD

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TSSAA hung that everyone makes the playoffs as a carrot for the lower rung teams to buy in some. But If I am under .500 and know I am going to get my butt kicked after a long ride and a long ride back home. Not so good.

If I could share the picture I took a the Science Hill vs Bradley game you would see the results of a 200 mile road trip. Very sparse crowd from Science Hill. Nothing against them, but it is the reality that the TSSAA ignored when they made the stupid statement the fans of big schools would follow, and that they could afford the travel.

I think the best answer is really the 6A have a bye the first week and only take the top 4 teams of each Region. At least most of those will have a decent record and be competitive in most cases.

Some really great comments..............

A little history, when the play-offs first started; there were 8 teams in 3 classes. That was a total of 24 teams in the entire state...............there were no weak sisters in the playoffs!! That was (2) from upper East, (2) from lower East, (2) from Mid Tn, and (2) from West Tn. so there was (8) teams in 3A.............if you made the 3A playoffs; you were a war-daddy!

This also allowed for some still great bowl games, but more teams were added in a new system............we went to Dist winners (only) in the play-offs. This was OK, but there were always a few districts with 2-3 very good teams, and a few good teams were left out.

Then we went to the best quality set-up of best 2 from each district............this was IMHO; the best setup we had..............We were still 3 classes (no pub/priv split), competition was very stiff, and we still had some good bowl games.

In my personal opinion, the state of TN could support 4 classes with a good even breakdown,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we tried to get this, but the geography of the state made this nigh on to impossible.

I really hate that a poor team will have to endure this semi-nightmare..............also some of the 6, and 7 teams are not going be treated very nice either.

*note -- I will retract all comments the year that a 6th place team wins the State!! LOL

I have enjoyed the thoughtful comments

I like it.... Sure, some teams are going to make the playoffs that dont deserve to but thats always going to happen because regions are not equal in difficulty.... In the old set-up you had a region like WB's where we had 2 state champs and several other solid to really good teams to deal with and then you had Sevier Co and Oak Ridge and those rinky dink regions they were in. In a way this new set-up helps those teams that might have made the playoffs in other regions but are stuck in a region that is much tougher than the others.

Of course you would like it.Every team with a losing record would.Playoffs are a reward for winning!Losing teams have NO BUSINESS IN THE PLAYOFFS.This is a complete joke,embarassing to the teams that actually deserve to be there.This comment is not just pointed to WB but to all.A team with less than 6 wins should be at home watching.IMO!

Of course you would like it.Every team with a losing record would.Playoffs are a reward for winning!Losing teams have NO BUSINESS IN THE PLAYOFFS.This is a complete joke,embarassing to the teams that actually deserve to be there.This comment is not just pointed to WB but to all.A team with less than 6 wins should be at home watching.IMO!

My point is no matter how you slice it teams that do not deserve to make it will. In the old set-up you had teams that finished as high as 2nd spot in their regions that werent very good but would make it in because their regions were weak as heck. The good thing about this system is it gives the teams that might have qualified for the playoffs in other regions a chance to to upset somebody. But no matter what the TSSAA does some teams are going to make it in because regions are not equal in difficulty and some teams will have an easy path. Imagine the difficulty difference between having to beat Soddy Daisy, Cleveland, McMinn, Bradley, or Walker Valley to get in vs having to play Maryville, Knoxville West, Farragut, and Hardin Valley! That's not an even playing field. Some teams have a much harder road to qualify for the playoffs. Edited by Governors91

Should have made 6A 48 schools, if they were determined to keep the 1200 type schools out of it. The smallest still would have had an enrollment in the 1500 range I believe, and you could have 8 regions of 6 instead of 4 with 8.

should have made it 5 classes and the top have 48 schools. Too easy and too much sense.