Rockwood at Austin East

tigerfan2009

Those were the glory days. I played during the 3 classification years. A-E was THE marquis program in AA back then. Multiple state titles. My senior year they had a RB named Leroy Thompson. Probably one of the best backs in the Southeast at that time. God i miss the 80's. He went on to play at Penn State. Basketball program was winning titles back then too.

Thompson was a man among boys. I can remember Marion Co playing them in the playoffs for a few years. Leroy Thompson, Von Reeves, Joe Cody, Joe Fishback... Those teams were stacked.

Thompson was a man among boys. I can remember Marion Co playing them in the playoffs for a few years. Leroy Thompson, Von Reeves, Joe Cody, Joe Fishback... Those teams were stacked.[/quote. That team was stacked back then. I ended up playing college ball with Joe Fishback up at Carson-Newman. He was even better then.

Edited by TigerNation14

Thompson was a man among boys. I can remember Marion Co playing them in the playoffs for a few years. Leroy Thompson, Von Reeves, Joe Cody, Joe Fishback... Those teams were stacked.[/quote. That team was stacked back then. I ended up playing college ball with Joe Fishback up at Carson-Newman. He was even better then.

TSSAA has watered down the playoffs and it's not as hard as it used to be to get to a state title game. In those days you had to be good to get a win on a Friday night.

Every time Rockwood plays Austin East, I can't help but think about the 91 playoff game and the phantom 2 point conversion. That Rockwood team was probably the most talented team RHS has had in the past 35 years, even considering the 92, 04, and 09 teams. 

I don't think Rockwood could have kept up with Brentwood Academy in the finals, and they may not have been able to get past Powell in the semi-finals, but I would have liked to have seen the AE game decided by the players. That game was my 1st experience with how terrible TSSAA officials can ruin a football game and season. 

Uh the run? Oh yea you've never seen AE play before lol ....

Should be interesting. RW has averaged almost 300yds per game on the ground, playing some pretty solid teams. Your correct though T....i havent seen A-E play this season. Not even any film. Based on what im hearing, i expect a really close game. Maybe OT if we are lucky. Best of luck to both teams. Praying for an injury free ballgame.