Scotts Hill @ Waverly Central

lionsfan99

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#4 being out may slow down the Hill some but One thing to think about, The Coaches have had two weeks to prepare. I still believe you give the Edge to the hill with all the skill players they have. Special teams may factor in too,  #4 Punts as well . Averaging almost 39 yards for the season. Hopefully #9 will factor in on the kick offs. #9 is a Threat every time he touches the ball ...... After watching some  film I believe the Lions have  to many offensive weapons. #8 does a really good job of buying time and checking down to his 2nd and 3rd options.And can tuck it and run it too.. Any High School team could have trouble against this type team.. Bottom Line is this is a Great Match up and Not going to be an easy Victory for either team...But it is for the Region Championship...I know the Lions are Hungry!!

with  2 weeks to Prepare and get healthy  I say 27-14 Lions 

BELOW IS THE ARTICLE Redrage1990 if referring to: 

DRAWING CLOSER TO HIM:

One of the major knocks on travel sports is how much time for the young athletes – and their parents – is spent away from home, and that includes away from church on Sunday mornings.

But for Scotts Hill baseball and football player Evan Russell, his time with East Coast Baseball over this past summer helped to bring him to the point of making sure God was first in his life.

“I spent the summer playing with a showcase baseball team – East Coast Baseball,†Russell said. “They always made God before baseball, and that put a great impact on me. I now put the Lord before all my sports, and that puts more fun in it.â€

The lessons Russell learned from his time this summer, he brought back to Scotts Hill.

“We would always have a lesson before the game, and we always prayed before the games,†he said. “It was all based on God.

“Now me and my Scotts Hill teammates pray before and after practice and games.â€

Kainan Maners, Drake Thompson, Garrett Chalk and Hunter Grissom are some of the Scotts Hill teammates that join in with Russell.

His time spent putting God back as the priority this summer came less than a year after Russell lost his biggest supporter.

“Last year in August, my grandfather died from lung and throat cancer,†he said. “It hit me harder than anybody knows. He was my No. 1 fan in all of my sports, and he has been with me throughout me growing up.

“It was hard for me, especially the first time I touched the field. It took a lot of praying and support from fellow Christians. Throughout the process and the bad times, God was always with me, and I always had someone to talk to.â€

Russell describes his grandfather as humble, and now he finds strength in his memory.

“Every touchdown I score or home run I hit, he is always in my mind,†Russell said. “I know he is watching me, and that brings joy to my heart.â€

Russell grew up in the church as his father is a preacher at Central Grove Baptist Church.

“I was at a revival when I was 11, and that is when I found the Lord,†Russell said. “I have always been a child of God, and I always put Him first. But over the years, I was focusing on baseball – because baseball is my No. 1 sport. I started putting baseball in front of God.â€

Russell is active within the church with the youth group, and he also serves as the song leader.

“Being the song leader has its ups and downs,†Russell said. “I enjoy it, but I can’t sing very well.

“All of the youth are active within the church.â€

Russell also feels like he is a leader on the football team, and he said that gives him the ability to share God’s love.

“I feel like they can come and talk to me about God whenever,†he said. “I try to put the team first, and through my actions, I try to show how I am close to God.

“Everyone messes up, but I try to be a man and own up to my mistakes. When people talk to me, I feel like I can be straight up with them. I feel like if I didn’t know the Lord I couldn’t be a leader on the football and baseball team.â€

When things get tough in practice or in games, God is someone Russell relies on to push through.

“I feel like nothing is too big,†he said. “It gives me confidence knowing that I got someone taking care of me.

“When you are working real hard and not seeing many results, you have to have faith that God is going to bless hard work. That helps me get through those tough sprints or reps.†

Written By Michael Odom of the Jackson Sun. 

michaelodom@jacksonsun.com

Sounds like an awesome kid. Life lessons stink but even th good ones need them. This will not be the last time in his life that he will be taunted. He just has to come out of this stronger and I bet he will. I bet he will have one of th best games of his life when he returns. I wish he could play this week. I love to watch kids like this play. As for th riverside kid it sounds like he needs life lessons even more and it starts at home. Have safe travels loins on your way to waverly

Sounds like an awesome kid. Life lessons stink but even th good ones need them. This will not be the last time in his life that he will be taunted. He just has to come out of this stronger and I bet he will. I bet he will have one of th best games of his life when he returns. I wish he could play this week. I love to watch kids like this play. As for th riverside kid it sounds like he needs life lessons even more and it starts at home. Have safe travels loins on your way to waverly

I read the article this morning and was very proud of the kid. I hope he doesn't have his best game ever next week!! Lol

Great article!

I read the article this morning and was very proud of the kid. I hope he doesn't have his best game ever next week!! Lol

Great article!

I think that it may take several "best games" to beat TCA. The move to QB for Goldsmith ignited the offense...probably a better tailback, but the team needed him there to succeed.

The article is a good one, and couldn't have come at a better time. I'm sure that the young man was/is embarrassed over the incident, but in reality everyone has their "human" side, and it will come out at times. Glad that so many people get to read what kind of person that he really is, just when he needs them to know that he's not "that kind" of person.

Edited by tradertwo

Guest AdamsvilleDad26

Trader ye without sin cast the first stone. Kids are under a lot of peer pressure and just the weight of the situation. I'm in my late 40s just now learning to curb my tongue and actions. The article shows he has great family and good values. Emotions run high in football even for the old codgers in the stands. Y'all go take care of business