The penalty for not scheduling cupcakes & bad teams in the playoffs

nrgrizzlies

You heard wrong. Oakland beat Smyrna, 20-7

that is OK Midtenn football doesn't matter as Smyrna still a very good 6A team.second nr grizzlies you right SC lost some good seniors no doubt but they return entire backfield on offense besides QB. They return return 5 of their front 7 on defense and 2 of 4 DBs. The Seniors will be missed but they left a legacy at the Creek and provided a work ethic and standard I expect the younger guys to take and run with

that is OK Midtenn football doesn't matter as Smyrna still a very good 6A team.second nr grizzlies you right SC lost some good seniors no doubt but they return entire backfield on offense besides QB. They return return 5 of their front 7 on defense and 2 of 4 DBs. The Seniors will be missed but they left a legacy at the Creek and provided a work ethic and standard I expect the younger guys to take and run with

I agree. The seniors should be proud. 6 wins in year 3 is impressive

Creek loses a veteran QB, a WR/DB who signed with APSU, the other leading WR, and a 6-foot-7 TE who has started since day one, a kicker who has started since day one, several big linemen who have started since day one. With other region 5 schools graduating players, they might make the playoffs next year, but it's not like they didn't have a bunch of veteran senior leaders who paid lots of dues the first two years in 6a against the Oaklands and Blackmans of the world. They deserved this playoff game, not a bunch of teams with zero or one win.

What is Creek's reward for hanging 49 on Shelbyville at S-ville? Shelbyville goes to the playoffs for playing a bunch of 4a teams with losing records. And yes, I did email the list of teams with losing records in the playoffs to the T$$AA because until you see them listed all at once, it doesn't sink in.

Why insult other programs, Giles was in the 4a State Championship game just 2 years ago, Lawrence Co won 8AAA District last year, Yes tullahoma had a down year but that's not common for a John Olive team, Plus we have played them for 92 years(Rivalry). Yes Stewie put 49 on us but was a 7point difference with 6 minutes left in the 4th. Beat us by 14. It TSSAA hadn't butchered 6a we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Fight on Golden Eagles. Live for another week.

Why insult other programs, Giles was in the 4a State Championship game just 2 years ago, Lawrence Co won 8AAA District last year, Yes tullahoma had a down year but that's not common for a John Olive team, Plus we have played them for 92 years(Rivalry). Yes Stewie put 49 on us but was a 7point difference with 6 minutes left in the 4th. Beat us by 14. It TSSAA hadn't butchered 6a we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Fight on Golden Eagles. Live for another week.

not insulting g other teams I k ow very well how good Giles was 2 years ago. Believe me but this is not two years ago even then they would have had a hard time beating s team like Smyrna. Just saying there should be a better way to determine seedi g than overall record because it can be misleading. If we are OK with teams with losing records in ayoffs then why not make opponent overall wins the 2nd tiebreaker after head to head instead of overall record??

I see things differently. The fact that region games matter more means team can play any kind of non-region teams they want to: cupcakes or very competetive.  Overall records only come into play after the head to head region tiebreaker is used.

But, it seems everyone is never satisfied. I've read more than one post during the Z-plan era with complaints of teams being left out of the post-season even though they had a better record in the region than another team that got in.

From my point of view, back when the Z-plan was in effect scheduling cupcakes was a better idea for some teams because overall record counted first.

• Upvote 1

The playoffs don't lie..... If you schedule easy wins during the regular season, its going to show in the playoffs. While it stinks that SC was the odd man out, they knew what they had to do last night to get in, and couldnt get the job done. They should feel good about the strides they made this year.

Truth is, sub .500 teams are always going to make the playoffs because the TSSAA wont do what's necessary to prevent it. Its unfortunate for the teams like SC that have a good year and don't make it, but also makes for a great teaching point

BUMP!

I agree with you. Just win your freaking games in the region and everything takes care of itself. 

When you go to their place and hang 50 on them and they get in because they played three lower division teams with a combined record of 6 & 24, that is NOT having everything taking care of itself.  I saw there is a # on twitter to bring back the "Z" plan already.   This current setup has about one more year in it's lifespan before it's replaced.  The entire 6a plan is a farce.  Clocks will be running before the 1st qtr is over.

When you go to their place and hang 50 on them and they get in because they played three lower division teams with a combined record of 6 & 24, that is NOT having everything taking care of itself. I saw there is a # on twitter to bring back the "Z" plan already. This current setup has about one more year in it's lifespan before it's replaced. The entire 6a plan is a farce. Clocks will be running before the 1st qtr is over.

I will agree with you there.. Because of the butchering of 6A, it has turned 5A into the toughest classification in the state. Middle TN in 5A is loaded.. Z plan was interesting just needed a tweak or two.. 6A has 10 teams out of the 32 with a record below .500.. That is absurd