3A Quarterfinals: CAK at Alcoa (The Annual Rematch)

AlcoaBasketball

Alcoa is the team to beat every year. Everyone from the east knows that, and perhaps even those from the west and central are starting to figure that out. They are the favorite EVERY year to win the gold ball. BUT

Someone else has won that gold ball 3 out of the last 4 years:

2011 CAK

2012 CAK

2013 Alcoa

2014 CPA

It is no longer a given that they will win it all. They are STILL the favorite. But the favorite doesn't always win, as can be seen by the last 4 years.

In the final regular season game, Alcoa dominated the game and won by 26 points, with a very good CAK offense only scoring 7 points, and Alcoa scoring 33. Will having #15 available for CAK on both O and D help? Will the Tornadoes just cake walk through round 3? Will CRB have anything to counter Alcoa from the regular season, or will this just be another easy game for the Tornado faithful to nap through?

What is the common factor in the three years that you have listed that Alcoa didn't win gold?

Will CAK change or adjust the protection? Their 5 had a lot of trouble with the Tornado DL last time. Do they consider max protection?

I'm not a coach so I can only speculate. CAK generally runs either 3 wide with 2 backs or 4 wide with 1 back. Occasionally they will run 5 wide, empty backfield, but they have not run that set much this year, nor do I think they ran it at all against Alcoa. Right before the 1st meeting with Alcoa, CAK found out their number 1 threat (#15 Nichols WR) was out with a concussion. This was totally unexpected by all, and from what I heard and saw, CRB made several moves to try to compensate. That didn't go very well. How much of that was just Alcoa being a very good team and how much were other factors remains to be seen.

Alcoa is a tough nut to crack this year, with an outstanding front 4 that allows the remaining 7 to concentrate on coverage. This makes it even harder to find an open receiver, and to maintain protection long enough to find an open target (if there is one).

I do think #15 has an exponential effect on the offense for CAK. He makes everyone on the offense better because of his production, and because defenses generally have to keep him under wraps, which opens up more possibilities for others. Will that matter against Alcoa? We'll see in a few days.

I will say that I would be surprised if CAK does not have a substantially better showing this go around. Alcoa has a great team this year, but of course, there is a reason they play the games on the field and not on paper.

Hey CAK, tell your Tennessee commitment, Mr. All American. He better look to fall before he get suplexed again. And tell your coach, he needs to get a little smarter on the play calling if yall want to win. P.S. Don't try to give the refs the collection plate Friday to help yall win either.