Ooltewah Basketball Season Canceled

Southtowner

Multiple sources have confirmed that the remainder of Ooltewah High School's boys basketball season has been canceled, effective immediately. 

The boys team was summoned to the school's cafeteria today at 2 p.m. and told the news. 

The basketball team has played four games since one of the freshman players on the team was assaulted and raped during a trip to Gatlinburg, Tennessee, to play in the Smokey Mountain Classic basketball tournament just before Christmas. 

Family members of the freshman have said they wanted the school board to cancel the season. 

The boys had 13 games left, seven home games and six away games. 

Sad situation! Just curious, is it possible for 2 teams who are now short a game to get together and schedule a game to make up for the missed Ooltewah game? My son plays for Red Bank and we only had 8 home games to begin with, Ooltewah was scheduled to come in 2 weeks and now we will be down to 7 home games.

I’m not trying to diminish anything about the situation and I think they did the right thing, just honestly curious if that is possible and I’m sure we are not the only school that will want a game added back

What will this cost the tax payers to cancel the games and break the contracts?

HELLLLLLO.... earth to captain obvious - these cancelled games aren't going to amount to anything compared to what the lawsuits are going cost the taxpayers of this county.