Alcoa 2016

AlcoaBasketball

I talked to an Alcoa dad at the jamboree at Alcoa last year. He was a WB grad who put his son in Alcoa. He said he did this because WB's program had been a train wreck. Guys, it really is that simple. Parents want their kids to have success and dont want their kids at loser schools.If WB and Heritage got their shiz together we wouldnt lose kids. You mentioned Greenback.... There's a reason Greenback doesnt lose kids to Maryville and Alcoa. They have a good program and played in the championship game last year.It has nothing to do with their small community promoting loyalty.

This is a picture of the last Walland High Football team in 1976 and they had 41 players and the school had 300 enrollment. Three years ago I saw a Heritage team with 33 players with 1,550 enrollment. I have the pictures to back up the statements Gov. When they put these schools together they created a mess. William Blount is 140-245 since the school started for a winning percentage of 36% and Heritage is 128-268 in 39 years for a 32% winning percentage. Numbers and pictures don't lie. 39 and 37 years are more than enough time to correct a problem. The travel distance to school keeps a lot of these kids from going out for football. Blount County should of made smaller schools when they did this but then again those schools weren't built with winning football games in mind and neither is any other school unless it some rich private school with some big money behind it.2iue4x5.jpg

Edited by BarneySox2007

Again,

Size has nothing to do with WB's level of success or lackthereof. The County's issue is they have historically not invested in athletics. WBs teams, have at times, had support from the administration. They had success during those times. WB athletics are curently being supported by the Administration and you will see them be successful in the coming years. Do you really think breaking up the schools would make them competitive? Heck no. Your anecdotes about the smaller schools being successful proves nothing because that was decades ago. Furthermore, those schools existed during a time when Maryville and Alcoa werent going to state every year. If we still had all of the small schools, Maryville and Alcoa would be getting even more athletes. At least with the two big schools, we can try to sell the kids on the idea that if we keep all of our athletes in the county we can compete with Maryville and Alcoa. You couldn't say that with little rinky dink 1A schools.

blah,blah,blah......how about this thread turn back to a "Alcoa 2016 and who gives a rat @$$ about WB"topic.

Gov I have to say hammer is right on. These little schools in Blount County did well before they were all put together. Kids have to travel long distances to play sports distracts a lot of them from playing. When you have schools like we had in the 70's they had no problem getting kids out for football. Even Townsend High only had 110 kids total in high school but always had a football team. 5yzq8j.jpg

nice

This is a picture of the last Walland High Football team in 1976 and they had 41 players and the school had 300 enrollment. Three years ago I saw a Heritage team with 33 players with 1,550 enrollment. I have the pictures to back up the statements Gov. When they put these schools together they created a mess. William Blount is 140-245 since the school started for a winning percentage of 36% and Heritage is 128-268 in 39 years for a 32% winning percentage. Numbers and pictures don't lie. 39 and 37 years are more than enough time to correct a problem. The travel distance to school keeps a lot of these kids from going out for football. Blount County should of made smaller schools when they did this but then again those schools weren't built with winning football games in mind and neither is any other school unless it some rich private school with some big money behind it.2iue4x5.jpg

Nailed it Barney. I agree with everything you said and that rarely happens. lol.

Also,

More schools would mean that the money would be spread even thinner than it already is. That means each school would have less money to hire quality coaches,upgrade facilities, buy equipment etc.

Why build a football field at the two newer middle schools that feed into WB. Put turf on WB's field with that money and just put a practice field at the middle schools.

Gov I have to say hammer is right on. These little schools in Blount County did well before they were all put together. Kids have to travel long distances to play sports distracts a lot of them from playing. When you have schools like we had in the 70's they had no problem getting kids out for football. Even Townsend High only had 110 kids total in high school but always had a football team. 5yzq8j.jpg

Hey Gov. Wouldn't it be nice to see a Friendsville High School right on 321 in Friendsville where you can see it from the highway. I would imagine it would be about the size of Polk County High School. The same thing on 411 with a new modern Lanier.