Riverdale have a chance to make it to Glass House

pioneer42

You have two different styles of basketball in the two regions. Region 3 is more fundamental. They're patient on offense and play good defense. Both teams can shoot from all over the floor. Region 4 is more physical. They lean on you on defense and play inside more on offense. The big girls put a shoulder into the defense to clear a path to the basket. Depending on where your officials are from will make a big difference. If they let them play physical, 4 has the advantage. If they call it tight, I think it's 3.

PLAY4FUN - Sophomore Howard @ Bradley is big time D-1. You name a school, and they are recruiting her. Juniors Hughes, McRee and Brown are D-1 players, all being recruited by OVC level schools. Senior Illes @ Cumberland Juniors Varney and Carlton are all OVC level players. And for the record, you quoted that Cumberland lost 2 times against Blackman this year. Well Riverdale and SC both lost to Blackman 2 times this year as well. Put Bradley or Cumberland in 7AAA and either team would do just fine.

Where did you get this info on who's recruiting who?

Guess this will all be settled on Saturday. I don't think anyone is saying Bradley or Cumberland is not capable of winning but I am calling right k ow the best chance to dethrone a team is Bradley winning at home vs.Stewart's Creek. Riverdale will beat Cumberland at home most likely by double digits on Saturday. Agree or disagree you heard it here first.

Congratulations to region champs Bradley Co. As much as i hate to say it, I agree with WARDAWG2038. Cumberland can't beat Riverdale at RvrDL. It Will definitely be a double digit win for RvrDL. They would have had at least a chance playing at Cumberland. IMO Bradley Co can and should beat SC in Cleveland. Will be a close game though. Good luck to both Region 3 teams.

Tennessee does not need 6 classes in basketball. Maybe 4 could work.

Four would be better, if they did not cut the number of state qualifiers to 4 from 8. Before any moves to Division II and with all the new charters, etc starting cutoffs would be to around 400 in Class A, 735 in Class AA, 1200 in Class AAA. Cumberland County, Lawrence, White County would be among those not facing the Rutherford schools in the postseason.

Y'all kill me.....we can't beat the best so we will get a new classification.  I remember when Riverdale football powers that be forced the public/private split in the 90's bc they couldn't beat Brentwood Academy and things haven't been the same since in DI football.  We now have 8 football State Champions, which is a joke.  No need to do that as well to basketball.

7aaa schools have an average enrollment of 1,777 students. Biggest is Oakland 1,933. Smallest is Stewart's Creek 1,691. The 3 smallest schools in 6aaa are Cumberland 1,051 Stone Mem 1,065 White 1,195. I would say there probably does need to be some reclassifying done. I'm in favor of at least going to 5 classes.

Five would also spread it around a lot and make districts small. If you went with regions to make up for it, the travel would be even worse. 5A to 4A cutoff would be about 1250, but districts would average only about four teama.

Edited by Indian

So help me understand how our friends in Alabama can have 7 public school classifications and Georgia can have 6 public classes (each have additional private classes) and we just can't figure this out? 3 classes?? Really that is all that basketball, baseball, etc. deserves? GA and AL are more football focused than TN and they double or more the amount of state champions in all other sports than we do. Instead of approx 120 per class they have about 60 per class. More tournaments, more champions, more school spirit, more $ for the state. They have figured this out and we live in the dark ages. The travel is solved by the longer distant games played on Saturdays. (Approximately 10 Saturdays in a typical basketball season)

More titles- More kids Win.

AL seems to call its districts "areas" and the ones I looked at only had 3 or 4 teams. 16 areas. That is a ton of non district games to schedule but they manage it.

GA has a lot more schools so I can see it working out better.

Both points you make are true. Many Coaches would prefer more flexibility in scheduling though. Imagine more weekend tournaments where schools can find the right level of competition through these non district games. Maybe a really competitive A school could get games with the untouchable AAA's or the weaker AA's could line up with some A schools more often for the regular season months. In the end a 60 school state champion is very respectable and the greatest travel would resemble the current process which would be deeper in the playoffs. 6aaa has a great point - 2000+ schools vs barely 1000 is a massive gap.

It's a very Realistic statement. Check their records, strength of schedule and margins of victory. Cumberland and Bradley have lost only 7 games combined. 2 of the losses were to each other (home team won both times). 2 of the 3 Bradley Co losses were their 2nd & 3rd games of the year (on the road) to 2 really good teams (Bearden & William Blount). Cumberland lost 2 reasonable close games to Blackman and dropped their 1st game of the year to a good Baylor team. If anybody from 7AAA (coach, player or fan) thinks they are gonna walk into Bradley Central or Cumberland Co and have a cakewalk to the state tournament, YOU ARE NUTTS! And, I guess we will get to if it is a realistic statement Saturday night. Both teams could beat either 7AAA team. If Cumberland plays at home would be mostly way it could happen (they shoot the ball so well at home). Bradley Co plays such great defense & shoots it well too, I'm not sure it matters where they play. With Blackman and Dangerfield out, the best player still playing in AAA plays for Bradley Central (Howard).

I'll take Riverdale by 10 against either of these two teams.