Watering down the PRIZE

In Hoc Signo Vinces

No, I agree that quantity does not equal quality. However, it does necessitate it. You can't build a strong wrestling contingent without growing numbers. Take a look at the top wrestling teams in the state and I'd be willing to bet that they have a significantly higher number of participants than the lower teams. Numbers do no equal greatness, but there's no such thing as a great program without any wrestlers. In the same way, participation rates DO have a direct effect on the overall quality of wrestling in the state.

How many wrestling programs have been established only because of the split? 

I say zero and to this point no one is able to provide me with any evidence to contradict that statement. The TSSAA, public school coaching staffs and administrators have done to high school wrestling the exact same thing that No Child Left Behind did to education.  They have watered down the requirements to be successful so that Little Johnny & Little Suzie may feel good about themselves. 

Edited by cbg

It appears the consensus in Georgia (my personal sampling) today is that divisions are good but you can get too many. This comes from coaches and families I have spoken to over the years going back to 2000.

I actually like the idea proposed where smaller school division wrestlers (depending on the weight class) can go to the larger school division individual tournaments to compete in order to have a more competitive and quality state championship with more coaches and recruiters observing at the finals. Apparently this occurs in other states but I'm not sure which ones, perhaps Pennsylvania.

So quantity has a quality all of its own now? More crappy wrestling which reciprocates more bodies is supposed to be the goal; not improving the proficiency nor quality of wrestling? Who cares how many programs there are; in my opinion some should throw in the towel, a minus 14 lineup is a joke (inadequate coaching and other support delegate these programs as insolvent enterprises).

I would like to see you go to a school that has never had a wrestling team and start one.  See how many kids you get out if you have to wrestle the larger schools and get drilled from the beginning.  Then you have to worry about starting a feeder program if the lower schools even have wrestling. If you are at at small school then their is at least an opportunity for the kids to have some pride about themselves and not quit from embarrassment. Not to mention when you are staring a program it is difficult to fill a full team and most will not schedule a meet against teams with few wrestlers.  Then you have the money, mats-uniforms-travel and I am willing to bet no budget for it for sure.

I would like to see you go to a school that has never had a wrestling team and start one.  See how many kids you get out if you have to wrestle the larger schools and get drilled from the beginning.  Then you have to worry about starting a feeder program if the lower schools even have wrestling. If you are at at small school then their is at least an opportunity for the kids to have some pride about themselves and not quit from embarrassment. Not to mention when you are staring a program it is difficult to fill a full team and most will not schedule a meet against teams with few wrestlers.  Then you have the money, mats-uniforms-travel and I am willing to bet no budget for it for sure.

Don't all novice wrestlers, especially those in their first two years, climb the proverbial hill of disappointment culminated by frustration and lackluster results? That is just wrestling, I don't know too many individuals who walked out onto the matt on day 1 and were coronated state champions

As for your general point about teams, there are a slew of relatively new Williamson and Rutherford county schools able to start and build successful programs (Ravenwood, Independence, Summit, Blackman, etc). Admittedly these programs had great support from their districts, coaches, and parents but it simpply isn't all about money and resources. If that was the case why hasn't Ensworth high school wrestling become a juggernaut?

Don't all novice wrestlers, especially those in their first two years, climb the proverbial hill of disappointment culminated by frustration and lackluster results? That is just wrestling, I don't know too many individuals who walked out onto the matt on day 1 and were coronated state champions

As for your general point about teams, there are a slew of relatively new Williamson and Rutherford county schools able to start and build successful programs (Ravenwood, Independence, Summit, Blackman, etc). Admittedly these programs had great support from their districts, coaches, and parents but it simpply isn't all about money and resources. If that was the case why hasn't Ensworth high school wrestling become a juggernaut?

You are correct in that if Ensworth ever decides to get serious about wrestling it will be over for every team in Tennessee and you can just mail the state championship trophy to Bellevue.  Early last summer there were rumors beginning to swirl around that Ensworth athletic director Ricky Bowers was going after a wrestling coach from Tennessee that has been ultra successful and would be willing to pay 6 figures to hire him along with providing him with 2 great assistant coaches.  For whatever reason the rumor died after about 6 weeks.  With Ensworth you never know what they are going to do.  They may very well make another run at that same coach before he signs a contract with his current school or they may go after a successful coach from one of the northern or Midwestern states.

Edited by cbg

There is a difference between Novice and Beginner.  If it is your very first time waling onto the mat and never been around the sport that is very different than going out with sum knowledge. 

Also try it from an area that has no wrestling around, out in the country is not the same situation as areas of cities.  Then distance to compete is a whole different topic.   When you have to travel great distances your parent support is going to be limited especially in the building stages.

You are correct in that if Ensworth ever decides to get serious about wrestling it will be over for every team in Tennessee and you can just mail the state championship trophy to Bellevue.  Early last summer there were rumors beginning to swirl around that Ensworth athletic director Ricky Bowers was going after a wrestling coach from Tennessee that has been ultra successful and would be willing to pay 6 figures to hire him along with providing him with 2 great assistant coaches.  For whatever reason the rumor died after about 6 weeks.  With Ensworth you never know what they are going to do.  They may very well make another run at that same coach before he signs a contract with his current school or they may go after a successful coach from one of the northern or Midwestern states.

I'm sure Father Ryan, Bradley and several others just can't sleep nights wondering if the mighty Ensworth might take up wrestling.

I'm sure Father Ryan, Bradley and several others just can't sleep nights wondering if the mighty Ensworth might take up wrestling.

Father Ryan, Baylor, Bradley, etc...had best hope that Ensworth does not get serious about wrestling!  Ensworth has deep enough pockets that if they want to dominate at wrestling it will happen.  I personally have serious doubts if Ricky Bowers would ever place any emphasis on a sport that he does not coach but I have been wrong before. Ensworth has enough athletes in the school at the present time to win the state in wrestling.  They are just lacking a good coaching staff that are proven winners.

Edited by cbg

Father Ryan, Baylor, Bradley, etc...had best hope that Ensworth does not get serious about wrestling! Ensworth has deep enough pockets that if they want to dominate at wrestling it will happen. I personally have serious doubts if Ricky Bowers would ever place any emphasis on a sport that he does not coach but I have been wrong before. Ensworth has enough athletes in the school at the present time to win the state in wrestling. They are just lacking a good coaching staff that are proven winners.

Baylor arguably has pockets just as deep as Ensworth...FRHS has kept up with them just fine.

I think a feeder program is even more important than money, and right now Ensworth's MS is virtually nonexistent. I'd wager that you put 14 first year "athletes" against the seasoned wrestlers Baylor and the Irish produce and Ensworth doesn't win a match

Edited by D2Wrestling