TSSAA Makes Money While Schools Lose It

etcoach

What is fair about teams having to go to Knoxville from west of the big river. You think teams from the east would want to go to the Liberty Bowl for state championship games. I love my Red Devils, but Going to Memphis, ain't happening.

They should rotate it. One year it could be in Nashville, the next in Knoxville, then memphis. If you think about it, its not really fair that Middle Tenn teams essentially gets a home game for the state game every year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought back in the 90's, you didn't play side by side regions, meaning regions 1 vs. 3, 2 vs. 4, 5 vs. 7, 6 vs 8. Thought they changed it so there wouldn't be as much travel with side by side competition, 1 - 2, 3 - 4, 5 - 6, 7 - 8.

If you cut back to 4 class's won't there be more travel and the size range would be much greater then now?

Better go look at how Georgia, Alabama, Miss. do their playoffs. Think I heard where 4 teams from each region in Georgia go to playoffs, just like Tn. But they send them in 4 different directions for playoffs and there association pays for there travel expenses. Don't know if that's true or not, maybe a rumor.

That is true about GA. They pay for the travel and take 4 from each region then send them each team to different areas of the bracket. They usually pair teams from Region 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8 in round one, then the winners of 1-2 and 3-4 play and so on. So no team from the same region will see each other until the semi finals or finals.

• Upvote 1

Football should be played at Neyland or Nissan/Adelphia/Whatever-it-is-named-this-week and basktball should be at the Forum.

An issue with playing games at the Titan's stadium is that it's much too large for the likely small crowds that will attend the games.

I agree it will be on a artificial surface from now on. I really don't have a problem with the location of the games now except Tech could use some upgrading of their facilities.

My "issue" with the games at Tennessee Tech is that with me living in Nashville I'm not likely to just show up for a game when don't have "a dog in the hunt".  Cookeville is not that large and fairly isolated. Granted, I wouldn't just show up for games if they were played in Knoxville, Chattanooga, or Memphis either. But having the games near larger urban centers could  possibly increase the gate of causal fans off the streets.

An issue with playing games at the Titan's stadium is that it's much too large for the likely small crowds that will attend the games.

My "issue" with the games at Tennessee Tech is that with me living in Nashville I'm not likely to just show up for a game when don't have "a dog in the hunt". Cookeville is not that large and fairly isolated. Granted, I wouldn't just show up for games if they were played in Knoxville, Chattanooga, or Memphis either. But having the games near larger urban centers could possibly increase the gate of causal fans off the streets.

Indiana plays at Lucas oil. Who cares?

Indiana plays at Lucas oil. Who cares?

Indiana also has a state income tax. Should we mimic all that the state of Indiana does?

I just feel that a field commensurate with the expected crowds will produce a better atmosphere.  I don't know the size of the crowds at the games in Indiana. But the few thousand of fans who show up for the games in Tennessee would seem lost in Nissan Stadium.  But then again, Lucas Oil Stadium is enclosed. So that works in its favour in late Autumn.

Edited by midtnmale

Indiana also has a state income tax. Should we mimic all that the state of Indiana does?

I just feel that a field commensurate with the expected crowds will produce a better atmosphere. I don't know the size of the crowds at the games in Indiana. But the few thousand of fans who show up for the games in Tennessee would seem lost in Nissan Stadium. But then again, Lucas Oil Stadium is enclosed. So that works in its favour in late Autumn.

Yeah, let's play the game in a glorified high school stadium instead of playing it in a neat and different atmosphere.

Please inform me on why the State Championship game is at Cookeville anyway? I know they moved the championship weekend from MTSU to Tennessee Tech, but why? 

I honestly would love the state championship games to be played at Vanderbilt. It's pretty much in the middle of the state, a great city, and it has turf. In a matter of that, I would love for all the state championship games to be played at Vanderbilt University. With the basketball players able to play at Memorial Gym and the baseball tournament to play at Vanderbilt, that experience will be amazing for the athletes who worked hard to get there. I understand it being at MTSU and Vandy doesn't have a softball program, but that would be cool for it to be played at Vandy.

The truth is, I want whats best for the kids. And I know a lot of High School fans across our beautiful state want that as well. But I looked at the 6A bracket to see the scores and it's awful. The only 'upset' was Collierville beating Wilson Central. But seeing scores of 49-3..38-7..43-0...63-0..48-0..56-14 is not good. That's bad. I know all the 6A teams are playoff teams, but seeing those types of scores are bad for 1A-5A schools that barely missed the playoffs that could've done better. I'm not dogging 6A because they're scores like that in other classifications. But I think the TSSAA needs to start considering adjusting the playoff fomat in the future, or this will go on for a while in 1A-5A classes. The production on the field in November across the state is making it a water-down system. That's all!