Meigs County Football at Forrest

Tiger86

I saw a one sided second half! The ref would throw flags every time Meigs made progress to bring them back. A personal foul called on a guy that made a great play and he stood up and clapped. pitiful! A loss of down on a holding call. Pitiful! A push off not called and an interception taken away! Pitiful! Fans taunting a bunch of heartbroken kids that just got raped of a game! Pitiful!!! That was not a great football game that was a disgraceful act and I would be ashamed to take that kind of win! I can't wait for Marion to win next week!

You can't blame a loss on the officials. Some of the calls were unfortunate, but it is what it is. To the poster who said the TSSAA would get the film, feel free. If there's anything I've learned it's that the TSSAA will speedily and efficiently look into the matter and a just and resolute decision will be made. Good luck to the Rockets.

The after game activities were very unfortunate. I'm sure both sides will look back and wish it would have went differently. Let's not let that overshadow what was a Great high school playoff game.

I will agree it was a great game. Everyone school has certain should we say "followers" that can get out of hand. Its not tied to just one school or another. But, I would not say say either team was completely innocent. Tension was high it was an important game for both teams. Coupled with teenagers and a contact sport things can sometimes escalate quickly. I enjoyed the game.

As, I said last night good luck and congrats to Forrest!

I am still pulling for the other MC from Region 3!

I could comment on some very embarrassing plays be meigs players but, I won't. This is football and not for the sensitive as some of us are showing to be. I am sorry you feel this way. I do however take great offense on how our players did not "earn" the victory. C'mon on don't forget your talking about kids that have been giving their all for months. Someone had to lose and their season is over and that's the beauty of playoff football. Again congrats to Meigs on a great season. They are a very good football team.

A few thoughts about the game:

Defensively, Both teams played well. In the first half Forrest had a goal line stand in the first quarter and an interception on the three yard line with a minute left in the half. Second half they make an interception in the end zone as time expires. Only first half points Meigs allowed were set up by a long halfback pass.

Meigs County stayed in the game with special teams play. Their punter is outstanding. Punting, long Kickoff returns, and solid kickoff coverage kept field position in their favor all night.

Meigs County #1 is impressive - Likely the best back Forrest faced (so far). Most of his success was on one toss play in one set and the Rockets never adjusted to the formation.

These two may have meetings in the near future. The future for both programs is bright. Forrest started 3 freshmen and had 5 others play significant minutes. Meigs QB will be fun to watch in the coming seasons.

Final 5 minutes of the game were a roller coaster ride. Meigs county has a go ahead touchdown. Forrest drives deep into Meigs territory and turns it over after missing a 4th and 2 attempt with under 3 minutes to play. Meigs is forced to punt. Forrest has a good return close to midfield and takes over with less than 90 seconds and no timeouts. They connect on a big screen pass to #21 to get to the 30. Then the QB hits the apparent game winner to #8 with 28 seconds left. Meigs has a nice KO return and then on 2nd down coming after a timeout runs a trick play. Direct snap all the way across the field to #1 with nine blockers in front of him and most of Forrest's defense on the other side of the field not ready. Two seconds put back on the clock and one final play from the 15 yard line. Pass is intercepted.

Controversy: "The catch" Forrest ran #8 on a post route. Ball was thrown late and short. He was double covered- one on each side. He used his hands to swim one defender and jumped over the other defender to catch the ball at its highest point. He comes down with the ball and the defender starts wrestling at the ball on the ground. The same play will happen a dozen times this weekend in college and pro games and might get called PI once. No one will call it an interception.

Meigs penalty yards: There is no one to blame except MC. They had 3-4 offsides/false starts. One was on 3rd and 5 with Forrest deep in their own territory. One was on a 38 yard FG attempt which made it a 33 yd attempt (this proved to be the difference in the game).

One holding call was downfield and led to a 2nd and 10. One holding call set up a 1st and 26 which they converted on a nice pass to #23 which led to the go ahead score.

Multiple Personal foul and unsportsmanlikes sealed their fate. The refs did not call everything. A handful of other activity from Meigs did not get flagged.

Overall, exciting hard fought game that gave me my money's worth.