Quarles leaving Maryville

GC_Quincy

I don't know the numbers, so I don't know whether Maryville gets any more or any less transfers than OR does.  Even so, how many of these transfers over the years have been significant contributors at Maryville as opposed to the transfers to OR?  Again, I don't know the numbers.  You also then have to compare whether Maryville was getting a similar number of transfers before Quarles or if it increased with our success, and how did that relate to Maryville's growth rate.  

From 2000-2009 (which largely coincided with the beginning of GQ's success) Blount County had one of the largest increases of population in the state.  So, I don't think that the draw of the county is or has been football, but I think if you have a son who plays football and you're choosing a house you may very well decide to be in the Maryville or Alcoa school districts rather than the county.

We got 1 transfer last year, he was from the Atlanta area. We don't get many if any most years. Sometimes we will get 1 or 2 from Clinton, but they get some from us, too. But yeah, I can't blame parents for wanting to send their kids to either Maryville or Alcoa. Both have great football programs and above average academics.

What I'm saying is we have probably the best school system in East TN arguably, and we aren't getting players from all over Anderson Co. That's my point. So, obviously a lot of that has to do with football. But, we aren't winning crazily like Maryville either. But, my point is if it was merely academics we'd be getting a lot of transfers in throughout Anderson Co which isn't the case.

I think that is a fair point. Heck, the kids roaming the halls at OR weren't even born the last time you guys won a title, and most of them probably don't even remember the 2005 season. Since OR's last title, Maryville, Alcoa, Greenback, Sevier County, Jefferson County, Clinton, Fulton, Austin-East, Powell, Central, West, Halls, Catholic, Webb, CAK, and Farragut have all earned as many trips to state (or more) as OR has. Winning begets more winning, so I would imagine that things would change for OR if they could distinguish themselves by winning a title (or three). Or even if they could make the trip to Cookeville a couple of times.

I'd also add that Blount County has about two-thirds more youth/teenagers as Anderson County does (30k vs 18k).

Edited by osunut2

I think that is a fair point. Heck, the kids roaming the halls at OR weren't even born the last time you guys won a title, and most of them probably don't even remember the 2005 season. Since OR's last title, Maryville, Alcoa, Greenback, Sevier County, Jefferson County, Clinton, Fulton, Austin-East, Powell, Central, West, Halls, Catholic, Webb, CAK, and Farragut have all earned as many trips to state (or more) as OR has. Winning begets more winning, so I would imagine that things would change for OR if they could distinguish themselves by winning a title (or three). Or even if they could make the trip to Cookeville a couple of times.

I'd also add that Blount County has about two-thirds more youth/teenagers as Anderson County does (30k vs 18k).

Very true, Nut.

What I'm saying is we have probably the best school system in East TN arguably, and we aren't getting players from all over Anderson Co. That's my point. So, obviously a lot of that has to do with football. But, we aren't winning crazily like Maryville either. But, my point is if it was merely academics we'd be getting a lot of transfers in throughout Anderson Co which isn't the case.

I don't know how many "players" Maryville is getting from all over the county, but if I had to guess it is probably a lot fewer than you'd imagine.  Further, Oak Ridge has a tuition cost that is, from my very brief research, $1000 higher per year than Maryville.  I did just see that the Oak Ridge school district is number 1 in the state and Maryville is number 2.  Anderson County is 42 while Blount County is 66.  So, it could be that the difference between AC schools and BC schools that make the difference.  Possibly more people perceive it as a better value to pay for Maryville or Alcoa rather than send their kids to BC, as opposed to not seeing as much of a value of sending their kids to OR school system.  And, again, from my knowledge, most of the kids that are tuition students have been such since they were in kindergarten.  

You also have to consider the number of people in each county.  In the 2010 census Anderson County had roughly 75k people while Blount County had almost 125k.  Blount County also has roughly 5,000 students in high school compared to Anderson County having around 3,500.

Again, you could be right, it could be football, but I think there are a whole lot of factors in play here and to just look at football success as the reason is a failure to look a the entire picture.   :mrgreen: