Who will be the next coach at GCA?

Raven52

No, I'm pretty sure GQ hasn't applied because he has a new job as the OC-in-waiting at his college alma mater.

One thing I learned during the seemingly long and uncertain period when CAK was looking for CRB's replacement is that there are sometimes candidates being seriously considered whose names never make it onto the early rumor/speculation buzz on CoachT.  It didn't become widely known or speculated that someone from GA might be about to get the job until fairly late in the process.

The only people who really KNOW right now who the leading candidates are for the GCA job would be the AD and head of school and whoever else might be on the search committee.  My bet is they are taking their job very seriously and will choose a good candidate regardless of whether that person might be perceived as the "obvious" choice by us CoachT followers. They might very well be considering candidates from other states. 

This brings back memories of the CAK search experience when all the early buzz on CoachT was about Nix, Price, Witten, then it turned out CAK went with someone from GA.  The longer this plays out, I think the more likely it is that something similar will happen at GCA.  Just my best guess at this point.

The GQ comment was tongue in cheek, but I seriously figured that RB would be considered at least as a "final three" type applicant before interviewing. I have had some insight regarding coaching hires, and understand completely that all options should be explored before settling on one, but in the same regard, coaches of his caliber don't stroll into town every day looking for work either. Guess what I'm saying is that if he isn't the best option someone "special" must have applied.

If I were GCA and you can't fill Bradley's financial needs to come here then I would go over at Central high courting Bryson Rosser in a New York minute. I hate it Bradley and GCA can't come to terms because they actually need each other. First of all he couldn't be 100% happy where he is or he wouldn't have been talking and second GCA is loaded with returning starters and a great middle school team from last year that even beat Maryville. 

If I were GCA and you can't fill Bradley's financial needs to come here then I would go over at Central high courting Bryson Rosser in a New York minute. I hate it Bradley and GCA can't come to terms because they actually need each other. First of all he couldn't be 100% happy where he is or he wouldn't have been talking and second GCA is loaded with returning starters and a great middle school team from last year that even beat Maryville.

The fact that Coach Bradley contacted us about this position should've been a home run hire for GCA. The powers that be have an agenda and saw otherwise. It was NEVER a matter of money. Money was discussed and that figure was well within what our school could afford. I don't want this very fine man accused of asking for a huge salary and being turned down. To be honest, he turned us down because of the process that our administration wouldn't deviate from. I don't blame him for his decision and I maintain the upmost respect for Coach Bradley.

Edited by gcapride

In saying "he turned us down," are you implying he was actually offered a job and declined?  

And what is the "process that [GCA's] administration wouldn't deviate from?"

The fact that Coach Bradley contacted us about this position should've been a home run hire for GCA. The powers that be have an agenda and saw otherwise. It was NEVER a matter of money. Money was discussed and that figure was well within what our school could afford. I don't want this very fine man accused of asking for a huge salary and being turned down. To be honest, he turned us down because of the process that our administration wouldn't deviate from. I don't blame him for his decision and I maintain the upmost respect for Coach Bradley.

Good post.The ignorance used in this process will cost you all!Bradley would have turned GCA into a powerhouse almost immediately.Now the AGENDA minded know it alls will probably bring in a wet behind the ears coach with no head coaching experience and it will be like starting over (of course we have a home and away the next two years and I don't mind breaking in a rookie maybe we can whip you all a couple of times) CRB would have DRAWN kids now you have the risk of LOSING them.GCA wins the DOOFUS award.You had a GREAT coach wanting the job and and make that man wait and I am very interested to see who they actually hire.If its not GQ himself and they miss on Bradley.anything less would be moronic----GEEZ!!!

Good post.The ignorance used in this process will cost you all!Bradley would have turned GCA into a powerhouse almost immediately.Now the AGENDA minded know it alls will probably bring in a wet behind the ears coach with no head coaching experience and it will be like starting over (of course we have a home and away the next two years and I don't mind breaking in a rookie maybe we can whip you all a couple of times) CRB would have DRAWN kids now you have the risk of LOSING them.GCA wins the DOOFUS award.You had a GREAT coach wanting the job and and make that man wait and I am very interested to see who they actually hire.If its not GQ himself and they miss on Bradley.anything less would be moronic----GEEZ!!!

Ditto

Wow, that was quite a response, pal. 2 things:

1. I was referring to a "schedule" / "process" when I said "agenda". Should've chosen better words I suppose. I realized it when I saw you running down a different path with it. Don't want anyone's feelings to get hurt.

2. We own GB, let's not forget that. We could roll out one of our youth league coaches to take care of that bunch you've got down there.

To answer the CAK guys ? above, there's a hiring process that's been in place and a time table that the administration is set on following and not altering. While I feel it's good to have a process and follow it, sometimes you have to adjust and tweak the process if circumstances call for it. I don't envy the position that these guys are in and the decision they have in front of them. All we can do is hope for the best.

Wow, that was quite a response, pal. 2 things:

1. I was referring to a "schedule" / "process" when I said "agenda". Should've chosen better words I suppose. I realized it when I saw you running down a different path with it. Don't want anyone's feelings to get hurt.

2. We own GB, let's not forget that. We could roll out one of our youth league coaches to take care of that bunch you've got down there.

To answer the CAK guys ? above, there's a hiring process that's been in place and a time table that the administration is set on following and not altering. While I feel it's good to have a process and follow it, sometimes you have to adjust and tweak the process if circumstances call for it. I don't envy the position that these guys are in and the decision they have in front of them. All we can do is hope for the best.

All you privates have an AGENDA "PAL" LOL.Too bad your youth coaches couldn't have line your ladies up against us the past two years.I expect us to be a little down unless we get a couple "surprises" (one will blow your socks off) in the off season.Hey get ole Pridemore to extradict one of his Fla friends like they did the Pridgeon kid a few years ago!I've heard he has a few connections in the Sunshine State.LOL.

Sad if true...turning a slam dunk into an air ball

I don't fault the GCA decision makers one bit for having a process and sticking to it.  I would imagine that process involves calling not only the references each candidate provides, but also others who might be good sources of feedback about the candidate but who weren't the "references" listed by the candidate himself.  I would imagine it would include calling people who are more familiar with the candidate than the casual observer based upon having worked with the guy for some time, coached with him, or having had some kids play for him. 

When the decision makers do those things, they might get a different picture of the candidate than the casual observer on CoachT might have based upon what they read in the newspapers and on CoachT.  Every coach has pros and cons...the people who have the keenest appreciation for the pros and the cons are the people who've had the most interaction with the coach over a period of time.

For those of you who think CRB would have been a slam-dunk, knock it out of the park hire for GCA, I would be interested in what your perception or understanding is regarding some questions:

1. What is your understanding of why CRB left CAK?  Was it his choice, or the school's, or both?  If it was his decision, why did he leave and do those reasons seem valid?  If it was CAK's, what were the reasons (as you understand them--surely among the GCA fan base that is excited about CRB as a candidate there's some general narrative about this topic).

2. Why do you think he now wants to leave USJ after only one year, when that job was touted as being a great opportunity for him?  If it's mostly about getting back to Knoxville, why did he leave in the first place--see question one above.

3. If he has taken himself out of consideration (which is the inference I'm drawing from a couple of the recent posts on here), why did he do so?  If he's really excited about the job, why not let the school take its time and make sure IT is equally comfortable with him being the best candidate for the job? In other words, what's the hurry?  

This is a very interesting topic, and I strongly suspect there's more to it than just the GCA search committee being idiots and either intentionally or carelessly making the totally wrong decision when the "obvious" choice is right in front of them.

I don't fault the GCA decision makers one bit for having a process and sticking to it. I would imagine that process involves calling not only the references each candidate provides, but also others who might be good sources of feedback about the candidate but who weren't the "references" listed by the candidate himself. I would imagine it would include calling people who are more familiar with the candidate than the casual observer based upon having worked with the guy for some time, coached with him, or having had some kids play for him.

When the decision makers do those things, they might get a different picture of the candidate than the casual observer on CoachT might have based upon what they read in the newspapers and on CoachT. Every coach has pros and cons...the people who have the keenest appreciation for the pros and the cons are the people who've had the most interaction with the coach over a period of time.

For those of you who think CRB would have been a slam-dunk, knock it out of the park hire for GCA, I would be interested in what your perception or understanding is regarding some questions:

1. What is your understanding of why CRB left CAK? Was it his choice, or the school's, or both? If it was his decision, why did he leave and do those reasons seem valid? If it was CAK's, what were the reasons (as you understand them--surely among the GCA fan base that is excited about CRB as a candidate there's some general narrative about this topic).

2. Why do you think he now wants to leave USJ after only one year, when that job was touted as being a great opportunity for him? If it's mostly about getting back to Knoxville, why did he leave in the first place--see question one above.

3. If he has taken himself out of consideration (which is the inference I'm drawing from a couple of the recent posts on here), why did he do so? If he's really excited about the job, why not let the school take its time and make sure IT is equally comfortable with him being the best candidate for the job? In other words, what's the hurry?

This is a very interesting topic, and I strongly suspect there's more to it than just the GCA search committee being idiots and either intentionally or carelessly making the totally wrong decision when the "obvious" choice is right in front of them.

Sounds like you have you may have an issue with Coach Bradley!

I'm trying to be diplomatic. Many times we see people from afar, whether it be on the news, in the papers, on TV, movies, etc., and develop certain impressions. Up close, those people tend to be more complex and multi-faceted than the impressions we've formed about them.  Like I said, CRB just like any coaching candidate has pros and cons.  All I've seen on here so far are the pros. Before hiring him, GCA should make sure it's fully informed about the potential downside.

The questions I posed in my previous post might cause folks to think about some questions they would want to answer before pulling the trigger on a job offer.

Sounds like you have you may have an issue with Coach Bradley!

Edited by Warriors2011