Christian Brothers Duals

WrestlingGod

our man OW may not surface for some time.  He knew he was fighting windmills but he continued anyway to beat a drum that only he could hear. 

"beat a drum only he could hear"...that's good writing, something along the lines of Shakespeare or Cormac McCarthy...and throw in the allusion to Cervantes (come to think of it the drum phrase is a variation on Thoreau), and that's some strong medicine.

Meanwhile I wait like some defendant awaiting a verdict for a reply from our young sage, but the only sounds I hear are the singing of the morning birds and the baying of my hound entreating me to take him on his morning walk...

Where is my OW? I'm eager to hear your observations on the day.

our man OW may not surface for some time.  He knew he was fighting windmills but he continued anyway to beat a drum that only he could hear. 

Don't get too excited there Artus & Tex. Tournament champion and a 3rd place.  How is that a failure and what drum is it I'm beating that no one is hearing???  CBHS took home the gold!  As a matter of fact I think that makes 2 times The Bros have put it on your boys. 

As for the Arlington match, I'll give you that one, SH had a good match vs an Arlington team that was missing one of their best wrestlers, Cannon, who is state ranked and recently walked through the GP with 4 pins and a major.  I didn't hear our coaches make any excuses but having someone of his caliber out of the lineup most certainly tied their hands a bit.  So now we are 1-1 against Science Hill.  Maybe we will meet again at the State Duals and settle this. 

So if you want to go all literary let me join:  Failure is not a single, cataclysmic event. You don't fail overnight. Instead, failure is a few errors in judgement, repeated every day.  One "event" does not determine this team's season.  You won't see Arlington team crying in their coffee this morning, in fact, I know a few who are back at work already.  So I'm glad you take pride in thinking that I/we failed, but we only use this as fuel to ramp up for the post season. 

Good quote youngling. And don't misunderstand me. I'm not glorying in anyone's failure, but in the success of the Hilltoppers. Any match between these two teams is going to be a good one. 

I'm actually an Arlington fan. I love it when anybody from either end of the state fouls things up for the guys in the middle.

I'll be at the duals. Make sure that when you aren't wrestling that you come introduce yourself. I'll keep your identity secret.

• Upvote 1

Ok Artus, I see you trying to pretend to take the high road here, but here's the thing, you come on to make your pointed post at me almost immediately following the match where Arlington lost.

And now you claim "I'm an Arlington fan" Sure you are. It's amazing how people can be a "fan" of someone after they beat them.

Don't get too excited there Artus & Tex. Tournament champion and a 3rd place. How is that a failure and what drum is it I'm beating that no one is hearing??? CBHS took home the gold! As a matter of fact I think that makes 2 times The Bros have put it on your boys.

As for the Arlington match, I'll give you that one, SH had a good match vs an Arlington team that was missing one of their best wrestlers, Cannon, who is state ranked and recently walked through the GP with 4 pins and a major. I didn't hear our coaches make any excuses but having someone of his caliber out of the lineup most certainly tied their hands a bit. So now we are 1-1 against Science Hill. Maybe we will meet again at the State Duals and settle this.

So if you want to go all literary let me join: Failure is not a single, cataclysmic event. You don't fail overnight. Instead, failure is a few errors in judgement, repeated every day. One "event" does not determine this team's season. You won't see Arlington team crying in their coffee this morning, in fact, I know a few who are back at work already. So I'm glad you take pride in thinking that I/we failed, but we only use this as fuel to ramp up for the post season.

If I'm reflecting correctly, Arlington beat The Hill by one point earlier this season. At that time, SH wrestled without their 195 pounder, D. Medina.

At Christian Brothers, Arlington wrestled without Cannon resulting in a 42-27 victory for The Hill. While Medina's presence could had greatly made a difference in the first match up, I'm not sure Cannon's presence in the 2nd match would had countered the 15 point spread.

Having that said, when these two battle again, it will be a barn burner as each team negotiates their line ups.

Edited by TheHillWrestling

If I'm reflecting correctly, Arlington beat The Hill by one point earlier this season. At that time, SH wrestled without their 195 pounder, D. Medina.

At Christian Brothers, Arlington wrestled without Cannon resulting in a 42-27 victory for The Hill. While Medina's presence could had greatly made a difference in the first match up, I'm not sure Cannon's presence in the 2nd match would had countered the 15 point spread.

Having that said, when these two battle again, it will be a barn burner as each team negotiates their line ups.

Both scores are wrong here.

Arlington beat us by 3 earlier in the season. Yes we did not have Medina, but they also gave us 18 points in FF that match. This time the score was actually 44-27. We had our full lineup and they were missing Cannon who could have allowed the coaches to adjust the lineup more in their favor to close that gap and make a difference in the outcome.

Just like us and the TN High coaches, the Arlington coaches are very experienced at shuffling around lineups to work better in their favor. We know from experience that it doesn't always work out as you plan. It didn't work out for them this time, so I'm sure we will see many different matchups if we compete again. Just like this Thursday. I'm sure Coach Marshall will adjust his lineup to put himself in what he feels is his team's best position to win. It's crazy how deceiving final dual scores can be when two very close teams are battling it out.

We will not be able to beat either team a second time without all 14 of our boys competing at a high level no matter who they put on the mat against them. They know more about our kids now (as we do theirs) so it will be a battle of the bodies and the minds.

Both scores are wrong here.

Arlington beat us by 3 earlier in the season. Yes we did not have Medina, but they also gave us 18 points in FF that match. This time the score was actually 44-27. We had our full lineup and they were missing Cannon who could have allowed the coaches to adjust the lineup more in their favor to close that gap and make a difference in the outcome.

Just like us and the TN High coaches, the Arlington coaches are very experienced at shuffling around lineups to work better in their favor. We know from experience that it doesn't always work out as you plan. It didn't work out for them this time, so I'm sure we will see many different matchups if we compete again. Just like this Thursday. I'm sure Coach Marshall will adjust his lineup to put himself in what he feels is his team's best position to win. It's crazy how deceiving final dual scores can be when two very close teams are battling it out.

We will not be able to beat either team a second time without all 14 of our boys competing at a high level no matter who they put on the mat against them. They know more about our kids now (as we do theirs) so it will be a battle of the bodies and the minds.

This is the most accurate assessment of the dual that I have seen thus far. Not having Cannon, and their starter at 170, forced the coaching staff to bump a lot. Having said that, I believe that Science Hill is a top 4 team in Div. 1. They have multiple wrestlers who can score bonus points at will and their role players seldom give up pins. They are pretty solid from top to bottom.