Whitehaven coach has schedule woes

CoachT

Locastro will keep studs. Book it. I have no doubt about it. He's probably the best in D2 in Memphis in that regard. D2 will have to deal with that juggernaut for as long as he is the HC at Laussane. They will win more gold balls as long as he is there. They will field a championship worthy team each year from here on out until he leaves Lausanne or retires. I don't see either of those happening for a while.

It use to be CBHS and MUS were the leaders in stud procurement with Briarcrest acquiring some as well, but not as much as those two institutions. Throw in Harding Academy, and St. George's getting their fair share as well. However, Lausanne has changed the landscape. There is a new sheriff in town when it comes to this, and his name is Locastro.

He should change his name to Tee Martin with as much recruiting as he does.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Locastro will keep studs. Book it. I have no doubt about it. He's probably the best in D2 in Memphis in that regard. D2 will have to deal with that juggernaut for as long as he is the HC at Laussane. They will win more gold balls as long as he is there. They will field a championship worthy team each year from here on out until he leaves Lausanne or retires. I don't see either of those happening for a while.

It use to be CBHS and MUS were the leaders in stud procurement with Briarcrest acquiring some as well, but not as much as those two institutions. Throw in Harding Academy, and St. George's getting their fair share as well. However, Lausanne has changed the landscape. There is a new sheriff in town when it comes to this, and his name is Locastro.

Plus I think the very word you used "procurement" is the perfect word for what he does--- definition of "procurement"- the act of obtaining or buying goods or services.

Plus I think the very word you used "procurement" is the perfect word for what he does--- definition of "procurement"- the act of obtaining or buying goods or services.

Let me reiterate ... MUS, CBHS, Briarcrest, Harding Academy, and St. George's all do what he does. He's just better at it then they are. I'm just focusing on these schools because they are Memphis area private schools that partake in this. Not just Lausanne. It's like that in Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville. BA, Ensworth, MBA, McCallie, Knox Webb ... so on and so on. Let's not make this the lynch Locastro hour because he's operating in an area that was well established be fore he got there.

It's why private schools were quarantined/excommunicated to their own league.

Let's get a clear understanding ... I'm not bashing him at all. It's not like he is the Lone Ranger in this. There are plenty of others who do the same thing he does.

For the record. I have no problem with what the private schools do. If MUS or CBHS or Lausanne wanted my son to play football at their school and were willing to waive or pay the tuition, or whatever they do, I'm all for it. The doors those high school diplomas open are tremendous. In most cases, it's a no-brainier. Especially for most, who could not afford that type of education. I think it's GREAT!

Edited by kwc

You got nicknames for the other D2 coaches in the state of Tennessee who do what he does? Or, is this a 'hate on Locastro' moment? He must have swooped up a guy that you were hoping would go to your school.

Not a good look.

Edited by kwc

You got nicknames for the other D2 coaches in the state of Tennessee who do what he does? Or, is this a 'hate on Locastro' moment?

Nope- he's the only one.  I think the other coaches bring in a few studs as you call them, but this guy brings in a whole team.  Maybe the other schools have always done it, but now that we are in D2-AA we may have to deal with this team if we get that far which is why I'm interested, I will admit that.  Question- if your son played at Whitehaven or another successful Memphis public school, would you want your son to stay there or go to a Lausanne, CBHS, etc.?

I can only assume you have some proof of that "buying goods or services" accusation? Surely you wouldn't just accuse someone of paying for players without hard evidence. Now, if you are just talking about "recruiting" then fine. But as KWC points out, lets not act like every successful private (and many publics for that matter) school in the state doesn't recruit.

I can only assume you have some proof of that "buying goods or services" accusation? Surely you wouldn't just accuse someone of paying for players without hard evidence. Now, if you are just talking about "recruiting" then fine. But as KWC points out, lets not act like every successful private (and many publics for that matter) school in the state doesn't recruit.

Nope- I didn't use the word originally, only gave the definition found on the internet and never said anything about paying anyone. What do you think is being provided? Services and in this case that is football services for a waived or reduced or paid tuition.  I know it's D2 ball, but bringing in entire teams just doesn't seem right.

Nope- I didn't use the word originally, only gave the definition found on the internet and never said anything about paying anyone. What do you think is being provided? Services and in this case that is football services for a waived or reduced or paid tuition. I know it's D2 ball, but bringing in entire teams just doesn't seem right.

I've never really understood what the big issue is with this problem throughout D2 schools. Isn't the goal to win? Don't you need good players to win? Why should you just sit around instead of trying to get players to come play for you? Now, I do have a problem with actually paying players. But there is nothing wrong, in my opinion, with financial aid given to athletes. People seem to have such a problem with kids bettering themselves and setting themselves up for a better future by getting a great education.

Nope- he's the only one.  I think the other coaches bring in a few studs as you call them, but this guy brings in a whole team.  Maybe the other schools have always done it, but now that we are in D2-AA we may have to deal with this team if we get that far which is why I'm interested, I will admit that.  Question- if your son played at Whitehaven or another successful Memphis public school, would you want your son to stay there or go to a Lausanne, CBHS, etc.?

First, don't think that Locastro is the only one. Second, why distinguish between a few studs, and a whole team? What ... is one suppose to be noble and the other a pox on society? If you have a few or a whole bunch, it's the same thing. You are in it to win it. Why not make your team the best it can be? Especially if that is why your school has been placed in a division because those schools give some type of scholarship. If your school is in the same division and classification ... either you guys compete or get run over. Plain and simple. You are in the division any way. Why not compete?

Whitehaven loses players from their feeder school, Havenview, on a regular basis, to private schools. Whitehaven has a freshman linebacker, Brayson Eason. He's a stud ... he's been playing with the varsity since day one. Our coaches had to beat back the private schools on him to get him to come. Whitehaven is unique. It's a school in a black neighborhood that is located in a black middle income community. It is not in a downtrodden part of the city. The school has good academics and a very good administration. The school does extremely well in preparing the student body for college. I know the football program is run by a man who does his due diligence when preparing his young men for higher learning. This past signing period saw Whitehaven have 19 young men sign letters-of-intent.

19!

I probably wouldn't send my son to a private school if he was already enrolled at Whitehaven. The school's academic reputation is just too good. However, I wouldn't be surprised if some did ... but it is extremely difficult to come to Whitehaven and 'steal a player' unless he wasn't getting on the field because every one in front of him was better. Whitehaven loses football players on a regular basis, and not to private schools. It is usually to another D1 program in the city of Memphis. However, if the private schools came a calling when my son was finishing middle school, well, he might not have went to Whitehaven in the first place. It would have to be a full ride. Nothing partial or anything like that.

It's been my experience that private schools don't seek out high schoolers anyway. They seek out Middle schoolers. 

Edited by kwc

First, don't think that Locastro is the only one. Second, why distinguish between a few studs, and a whole team? What ... is one suppose to be noble and the other a pox on society? If you have a few or a whole bunch, it's the same thing. You are in it to win it. Why not make your team the best it can be? Especially if that is why your school has been placed in a division because those schools give some type of scholarship. If your school is in the same division and classification ... either you guys compete or get run over. Plain and simple. You are in the division any way. Why not compete?

Whitehaven loses players from their feeder school, Havenview, on a regular basis, to private schools. Whitehaven has a freshman linebacker, Brayson Eason. He's a stud ... he's been playing with the varsity since day one. Our coaches had to beat back the private schools on him to get him to come. Whitehaven is unique. It's a school in a black neighborhood that is located in a black middle income community. It is not in a downtrodden part of the city. The school has good academics and a very good administration. The school does extremely well in preparing the student body for college. I know the football program is run by a man who does his due diligence when preparing his young men for higher learning. This past signing period saw Whitehaven have 19 young men sign letters-of-intent.

19!

I probably wouldn't send my son to a private school if he was already enrolled at Whitehaven. The school's academic reputation is just too good. However, I wouldn't be surprised if some did ... but it is extremely difficult to come to Whitehaven and 'steal a player' unless he wasn't getting on the field because every one in front of him was better. Whitehaven loses football players on a regular basis, and not to private schools. It is usually to another D1 program in the city of Memphis. However, if the private schools came a calling when my son was finishing middle school, well, he might not have went to Whitehaven in the first place. It would have to be a full ride. Nothing partial or anything like that.

It's been my experience that private schools don't seek out high schoolers anyway. They seek out Middle schoolers. 

I see what you're saying.  Guess it's going to take time getting used to the recruiting part of D2.  I'm not folding my tent and agreeing 100%, but you have a good point that if you recruit a little or alot what's the difference.  Hard to argue with that.  Whitehaven sounds like a good school and a good football program with the key being colleges know to look there for players.

19!

As someone who has been around private schools a ton, I will say that very few, if any, offer full scholarships/financial aid. Don't get it confused, I have heard of examples where families get up to 90% financial aid, but not full. The way it works is applying parents of both athletes and non athletes fill out financial aid packets that go through a 3rd party. That 3rd party reviews their info (income, siblings, etc.) and sends back to the school what % of aid they qualify for and how much must be paid.

I actually know of 1 particular Memphis private school who has targeted other high school players. I'm not going to name them but it is a school who has had success and has never to my knowledge been accused of recruiting. For the most part I agree though, they general look for middle schoolers.