Too Many Classes

LOLOLOLOLOLOL at this topic.

It's the dead period and folks just want to talk about something I guess.

This whole topic varies with each and every person's different preferences and perspectives.

What the guy in suburbia Knoxville thinks will vary greatly with the guy in rural areas of the tri-cities, which will vary greatly from the guy who lives in urban Knoxville which will vary greatly from the guy who lives in rural middle Tennessee which will vary greatly from the guy who lives in the suburbs surrounding Nashville who's look at things  dramatically different from the to the guy who lives in urban Nashville and so on, and so forth,  ad nauseam. 

It's fun to read the different agendas and points of view though. 

There isn't an answer to this question that will please the masses. There just isn't. No matter what is done ... more folks will complain then those who agree. 

The TSSAA is d ammed if the do, and they are d ammed if they don't. In D-1, if they choose 3 classes, 4 classes, 5 classes,  or 6 classes.  It won't matter. More folks WON'T like what is chosen, then those who DO like it.

Edited by kwc

Just now, kwc said:

LOLOLOLOLOLOL at this topic.

It's the dead period and folks just want to talk about something I guess.

This whole topic varies with each and every person's different preferences and perspectives.

What the guy in suburbia Knoxville thinks will vary greatly with the guy in rural areas of the tri-cities, which will vary greatly from the guy who lives in urban Knoxville which will vary greatly from the guy who lives in rural middle Tennessee which will vary greatly from the guy who lives in the suburbs surrounding Nashville who's look at things  dramatically different from the to the guy who lives in urban Nashville and so on, and so forth,  ad nauseam. 

It's fun to read the different agendas and points of view though. 

There isn't an answer to this question that will please the masses. There just isn't. No matter what is done ... more folks will complain then those who agree. 

The TSSAA is d ammed if the do, and they are d ammed if they don't. In D-1, if they choose 3 classes, 4 classes, 5 classes,  6 classes.  It won't matter. More folks WON'T like what is chosen, then those who DO like it.

This is true.  One of the OP's complaints was that some regions are small leaving some teams to try to scramble to schedule lots of non-conference games. That would be inevitable in any setup because the population isn't distributed evenly across the state.  In some areas there are more big schools and less small schools and vice versa. People would complain no matter what because there is no perfect system. I, myself, think the current 6 class system is more or less fair and reasonable.

22 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

In 2009 the TSSAA expanded Division I from five classifications to six.  In 2016 the TSSAA voted to force Private Schools that compete in Division I to face more severe consequences as it relates to which classification that the multiplier forces them to compete in.  This led to a large majority of the private schools in the state of Tennessee to leave Division I and choose to play in Division II.  In order to compensate the larger number of schools in Division II the TSSAA expanded Division II from two classifications to three beginning in the fall of 2017.  The addition of more classes led to more regions and therefore schools being forced to find more non-region games.  In fact a large portion of schools in the state play the majority of the contests against non region foes.  November, and December, for schools statewide has become a "silly season" for high school football coaches.  Instead of maintaining traditional rivalries that go back several decades the coaches are now seeking wins at all cost.  Coaches are scheduling out of state opponents more frequently.  Coaches are scheduling in-state non-TSSAA schools more frequently.  When coaches do call other schools, often times, they are contacting schools that compete in much smaller classifications.  This is commonly referred to as "win chasing" and is damaging tradition and the competitive nature of the game.  The idea that "everyone gets a trophy" when the season is complete is saddening.  

Anyone else who has an opinion about this please share your thoughts.  This topic really came to my mind today when I saw that there are still a dozen schools, at least, statewide who are searching for games to play less than a month and a half away from the start of the season. 

I agree , way too many classes, should be 4 in Division I and 2 in Division II. If basketball can operate with 3 classes in DI and 2 in DII so can football with less teams. 

6 hours ago, TheGuvna said:

I guess Maryville has a problem with 6 classes because they have been seriously challenged in 6A. They have actually had competitive games in the playoffs and lost a few championship games. Ya'll are right. It would be better if we went back to the way things were and Maryville was in a region with Clinton, Halls, Powell, and South Doyle.

Didn't say that at all, Maryville qualified for 5A and chose to play in 6A. To many long road trips cut down on crowds. Did you enjoy going to Oakland and get beat like a drum, I would think not. There was no reason for that game and lucky no one got hurt. No sense in games like that. 

4 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Didn't say that at all, Maryville qualified for 5A and chose to play in 6A. To many long road trips cut down on crowds. Did you enjoy going to Oakland and get beat like a drum, I would think not. There was no reason for that game and lucky no one got hurt. No sense in games like that. 

Barney,

There has always been one sided games in the playoffs even back in the 3 class days. You cant avoid that no matter what you do. There are so many factors like injuries, illnesses, kids moving in the middle of the season, kids getting kicked off teams for academics or disciplinary issues etc. Thats not even mentioning how certain teams match up with each other. You also have some regions that are full of bad teams and the top team of those regions goes to the playoffs and gets blown out.

20 minutes ago, QSouth89 said:

I agree , way too many classes, should be 4 in Division I and 2 in Division II. If basketball can operate with 3 classes in DI and 2 in DII so can football with less teams. 

That works in basketball because you have 12-15 players per team versus 40 or 50+ plus in football on average. In basketball you can win with one or two studs, but not so much in football. Thus, enrollment numbers are a much bigger factor in being competitive in football and it makes sense to have more classes for football.

Edited by TheGuvna

10 hours ago, TheGuvna said:

Except not everybody gets a trophy. Nice try though. Alabama has roughly 2 million less people than Tennessee and they have 7 classes.

And you just reinforced my point.  Alabama has too many classifications, too.  

What is a "state championship" really worth when you have roughly 50 schools in each classification and 32 of them make the playoffs?

Spin it however you like, but Tennessee has a watered down system.  

Face it folks it is not about enrollments or travel distances.  It is simply about MONEY.

Fact is football generates over 50-75% of the T$$AA's income.  Thusly they are trying to generate more money for THEM!

Just how good is the salaries and travel perks for the full time staff of the T$$AA?  Answer that question and you will see the why of it all.