Overton, rebuilding or is it something else.

fb247

48 minutes ago, bleacher said:

Overton should play 2A. 1200 kids don't even know what a football is. And the best talent in the zone goes to private schools. Huge disadvantage.

Even schools in Metro try to get other schools kids. What other schools in Metro are losing kids to privates?

1 hour ago, FBfan26 said:

When I seen them they looked real good even though it was against Hillwood. They had plenty of athletes

And you're exactly right, they had athletes on the field and had plenty of depth it seemed like to me. People have to factor in they just played two really good programs in Father Ryan and Mount Juliet. MJ is easily a top 10 team this year and people will start realizing that as the season continues. As for Overton, they're the same type of team as last year  without a star player (Theo Jackson). They should win 4-5 games.. rebuilding year? Maybe.. but they aren't terrible my any means.

20 hours ago, MJGOLDENBEARS said:

And you're exactly right, they had athletes on the field and had plenty of depth it seemed like to me. People have to factor in they just played two really good programs in Father Ryan and Mount Juliet. MJ is easily a top 10 team this year and people will start realizing that as the season continues. As for Overton, they're the same type of team as last year  without a star player (Theo Jackson). They should win 4-5 games.. rebuilding year? Maybe.. but they aren't terrible my any means.

Overton has always had a good OLine. Maybe they are not doing what they should. I know Overton teams of the past where very good pounding the ball. 

The truth of the matter is that John Overton High School is not a very good football team.  Everyone wants to base how good a program is on playoff experience but that is an old model.  Back when only the top 1 or 2 teams in each district went to the playoffs it was easy to conclude that if a team qualified for the playoffs four or five consecutive seasons they were a good program.  Today most teams that fail to make the playoffs are truly a bad team, especially when you take into consideration there are now nine (9) classifications in Tennessee high school football.  

Edited by cbg

18 minutes ago, cbg said:

The truth of the matter is that John Overton High School is not a very good football team.  Everyone wants to base how good a program is on playoff experience but that is an old model.  Back when only the top 1 or 2 teams in each district went to the playoffs it was easy to conclude that if a team qualified for the playoffs four or five consecutive seasons they were a good program.  Today most teams that fail to make the playoffs are truly a bad team, especially when you take into consideration there are now nine (9) classifications in Tennessee high school football.  

Half the football teams in Tenn. probably go to the playoffs with the top 4 going in each region.

2 hours ago, fb247 said:

Half the football teams in Tenn. probably go to the playoffs with the top 4 going in each region.

True and approximately one half the teams that qualify for the state football playoffs in Tennessee have no business in the playoffs.  I would love to see the TSSAA go back to a 16 team bracket for each division in the playoffs.  Maybe even an 8 team bracket for D2 due to a lack of teams.  EVERYONE WANTS A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY BUT FEW ARE WILLING TO WORK HARD ENOUGH TO EARN A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cbg said:

True and approximately one half the teams that qualify for the state football playoffs in Tennessee have no business in the playoffs.  I would love to see the TSSAA go back to a 16 team bracket for each division in the playoffs.  Maybe even an 8 team bracket for D2 due to a lack of teams.  EVERYONE WANTS A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY BUT FEW ARE WILLING TO WORK HARD ENOUGH TO EARN A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP.  

Amen ! Great post !