2017-2018 AA Top Teams

ballinup90

39 minutes ago, UTRok said:

At this point the difference in the schedules between these two teams if very minimal. They have one opponent in common Livingston. CCHS beat them 73-36 by 37 and UHS beat them 64-26 by 38. I think CCHS may be a better overall shooting team but do not think they can defend Levy. So at this point it is all just speculation but time will possibly tell.

Have you seen Cumberland county play?  Who has upperman played that you would consider a quality opponent?  If you stop levy, you stop upperman. Who else is going to score?  Who else do they have to handle the ball against a trap press all night?  Cumberland county has 8 or 9 girls who can score and can play defense, and they are well coached. 

The same can be said about Cumberland County.  If you stop the coaches niece, you stop Cumberland.  Check the box score and see how many points the role players have scored against anyone when she is not in the game.    Cumberland has no other proven scorers.  Most good teams don't try and break a press by dribbling.  Levy was selected Miss Basketball for a reason.  Why is Bradley and Oak Ridge not on the schedule?  I know for a fact they use to play both in the past.  Upperman district is down but no weaker than 7AA.  With only 5 teams only one will not make the region.  The same can't be said for 8AA.  

Edited by ADMIRAL

6 hours ago, ADMIRAL said:

The same can be said about Cumberland County.  If you stop the coaches niece, you stop Cumberland.  Check the box score and see how many points the role players have scored against anyone when she is not in the game.    Cumberland has no other proven scorers.  Most good teams don't try and break a press by dribbling.  Levy was selected Miss Basketball for a reason.  Why is Bradley and Oak Ridge not on the schedule?  I know for a fact they use to play both in the past.  Upperman district is down but no weaker than 7AA.  With only 5 teams only one will not make the region.  The same can't be said for 8AA.  

You just answered the question about you  seeing them play, you obviously have not. You can be a fan of your team, but you can't declare your team better than a team you've not seen,  by reading a box score. Why are Bradley and oak ridge not on uppermans schedule?  

9 minutes ago, Mw4vols said:

You just answered the question about you  seeing them play, you obviously have not. You can be a fan of your team, but you can't declare your team better than a team you've not seen,  by reading a box score. Why are Bradley and oak ridge not on uppermans schedule?  

Actually you asked me that question not Admiral and yes I've seen them play but not since early. Hence my comment that CCHS may be the better overall shooting team. Why are Bradley and Oak Ridge not on Uppermans schedule? I would say because they didn't just drop from AAA to AA this year. With that being said a good AAA team that drops down you would expect them to be better than the AA teams. Would you not? Why is Bradley and Oak Ridge not on CCHS schedule?

Here is an example of your non conference comparison. Last 5 games for upperman, opponents have 19 total wins, only one team has winning record and that team is from cchs district. Cchs last 5 opponents have 34 wins, all have winning records, and 4 of those 5 are ranked in top 25 in their class and the other one plays in the toughest district in Tennessee. 

41 minutes ago, Mw4vols said:

Here is an example of your non conference comparison. Last 5 games for upperman, opponents have 19 total wins, only one team has winning record and that team is from cchs district. Cchs last 5 opponents have 34 wins, all have winning records, and 4 of those 5 are ranked in top 25 in their class and the other one plays in the toughest district in Tennessee. 

Which means nothing. UHS had a very similar schedule last year and won the state tournament. When CCHS beats Jackson South Side, East Nashville and Perl Cohn in that order over a 3 day period. I will say they have done something. Until then all of this talk on a message board is just that who beat who and who is better than who. If they play one of us can say that team is better until then nothing else matters.

On 12/14/2017 at 10:37 PM, Mw4vols said:

Have you seen Cumberland county play?  Who has upperman played that you would consider a quality opponent?  If you stop levy, you stop upperman. Who else is going to score?  Who else do they have to handle the ball against a trap press all night?  Cumberland county has 8 or 9 girls who can score and can play defense, and they are well coached. 

I think Levy is the third leading scorer on team at this point. Def not a one player team. 

13 hours ago, UTRok said:

Which means nothing. UHS had a very similar schedule last year and won the state tournament. When CCHS beats Jackson South Side, East Nashville and Perl Cohn in that order over a 3 day period. I will say they have done something. Until then all of this talk on a message board is just that who beat who and who is better than who. If they play one of us can say that team is better until then nothing else matters.

Good post. 

On 12/14/2017 at 10:37 PM, Mw4vols said:

Cumberland County cannot press against Levy they will get beat by double digits. I think overall they are the best team on paper but that doesn’t win games. With all this realignment I have no clue who plays who in the region. Are these two districts in the same region?

2 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Cumberland County cannot press against Levy they will get beat by double digits. I think overall they are the best team on paper but that doesn’t win games. With all this realignment I have no clue who plays who in the region. Are these two districts in the same region?

Have you seen both teams play?  Unless you have seen both play, you can't make a comparison. Defense and quickness dont show up on paper. Districts 7 and 8 are in same region. 

On 11/9/2017 at 10:44 PM, Rebel82 said:

I'm excited for the season to start and a little anxious too. South Greene returns all but one and they play fast. I really don't see anyone out running or out hustling, but they have a couple injuries to get through. I haven't heard anything on one of the players, but the other should be back by the first of the year. They also gained some talented freshman but I'm not sure how it all plays in.  I'll know more by Thanksgiving. South Greene has always filled their schedule with AA and AAA schools, so they know what the competition is like. I think they will be competitive from the beginning of the season, but I won't be too concerned if they have some hiccups. Several girls are going to have to pick up new positions to fill the missing shoes while they're out.

South Greene figures to be in the glass house at the end of the year however there won’t be any cupcakes for them.  You’ll have the defending state champion Upperman Lady Bees with Ms Basketball  Kiara Levy, Cumberland County and Westview waiting on them.  All 3 teams are currently undefeated and there won’t be 5 losses between all 3 teams this year.  Having said all of that South Greene is pretty darn good as well!  Those should be your final 4 teams if it all plays out like it should. 

I would say the top five are the teams already listed. Cumberland County is a top ten team but they haven't played a top tier team yet. In fact, looking at their schedule they may not play a top tier team until tournament time. I know they have played good teams but there is a difference between beating good teams (Blackman, Beech, McMinn) and beating top tier teams (Riverdale, Upperman, Westview). And no I haven't seen Cumberland County play. Doesn't matter either because all is opinion right now but in time we will see which opinions are more correct.

• Upvote 1