Class 3A Round 2: South Gibson (9-2) at Raleigh Egypt (11-0)

NotNoahHouck

Memphis area high school players of the week (Round 1, Playoffs)

John Varlas, USA TODAY NETWORK – TennesseePublished 9:00 a.m. CT Nov. 7, 2017

Raleigh-Egypt MLK Prep Football

Football offense

Kalyn Grandberry, Raleigh-Egypt: The senior picked up 237 yards on just 15 carries and scored on runs of 87, 18 and 44 yards as the Pharaohs improved to 11-0 with a 41-13 victory over Bolivar Central in the first round of the Class 3A playoffs. With 40 touchdowns on the year and at least one game to go, Grandberry has a shot at the Shelby County single-season record of 43 set by White Station's Dillon Mitchell (2015).

Football defense

Quentin Williams, Southwind: Williams intercepted two passes and broke up two others to help the Jaguars defeat Clarksville Northeast, 35-28, in Class 5A. One interception was returned 70 yards for a touchdown and pulled Southwind to within a point at 28-27 after trailing 28-7.

Reach John Varlas at john.varlas@commercialappeal.com or on Twitter @johnvarlas.

Last Week's performance..

23 hours ago, kwc said:

Bold Black = Agreed.

Bold Red = Wholehertedly disagree. By all intense and purposes they weren't expected to beat Arlington AT Arlington. If that wasn't a "Dang, they beat them!!!!" win, then I don't know what one looks like. They pulled it out in OT. That was the very first game of the season and it served notice ... Raleigh-Egypt is a power to be reckoned with. 

Bold Blue = SGC doesn't have an edge over Raleigh-Egypt by virtue of victories over good teams. Actually, Raleigh-Egypt has the advantage in that department. SGC has wins over 4A Lexington who is currently 8-3 and in the 2nd round of the playoffs. This is SGC's signature win on their schedule. They have a victory over 6-5 fellow Region 7-3A opponent Milan and a victory over 6-5 fellow Region 3-7A opponent Boliver Central. That's it. Three victories over teams over 0.500. By that same measurement, Raleigh-Egypt has three (3) victories over opponents who are over 0.500. Region 8-4A Wooddale (6-5), Region 7-3A Boliver Central (6-5), and Region 7-6A Arlington (7-4). I give Raleigh-Egypt the edge because they beat a 6A team, where as SGC beat a 4A team.

Yes, SGC played a more difficult schedule by virtue of also playing 4A Crocket County and fellow Region 7-3A opponent, Covington. However ... SGC lost those games. They lost to Crocket by two TDs and they lost to Covington by 4 TDs. 

RE and SGH have three common opponents. Craigmont, Bolivar Central, and Trezevant. Those games went as follows for each:

Raleigh-Egypt 47, Craigmont 0        
Raleigh-Egypt 36, Trezevant 8        
Raleigh-Egypt 41, Bolivar Central 13        

South Gib. 34, Craigmont 16        
South Gib. 36, Trezevant 8        
South Gib. 28, Bolivar Central 19        

None of this means that Raleigh-Egypt will win. It doesn't mean that SGH will win. I think it is more indicitive that this will be a competitive game. I think that RE is building on what they accomplished last year, and taking it further. This is their 2nd year in a row going undefeated in the regular season. Now, they are learning what it takes to win in the post season. It's a learning process.

I will have RE winning this game in BGIM. They are playing at home which helps tremendously. They have a dominant run game and a solid defense. To win championships you have to be able to do two things. Run the ball and stop the run. RE does both well.

According to the Shelby Metro Sports Blog Website, the RE running back, one Mr. Kaylin Granberry, the Mr. Football semi-finalist, is the third best RB in all of Shelby County in yardage. He is listed behind Jeremey Banks of Cordova, and Eric Gray (Mr. Football semi-finalist in D2-AA) of Lausanne. Go here to see all of his stats, and others in Shelby County,  through the regular season. Accoding to the Commercial Appeal, Kaylin is three TD shy of tying the record for TDs scored in a single season. Kaylin has scored 40 TDs. The record of 43 was set by Dillion Mitchell, who is currently a WR at Oregon.  RE is also dynamic as a team. Offensively they average right at 390 yds per game. They are 7th in all of Shelby County. They are 2nd in all of Shelby County in scoring. Defensively, they are the top rated defense in all of Shelby County. Running the ball on them is difficult. Go here to see theirs, and other teams ... team statistics.

If I wasn't going to go see my Whitehaven Tigers play ... I'd probably go to this game ... just to lay my eyes on Kaylin. That man had 237 yards on 15 carries last week while scoring 3 TDs. Whew!

Does he tie or break the record this Friday? Hmmmm....

South Gibson is a relatively "new" team...their "they beat them" moments didn't necessarily involve beating a superior opponent, rather beating teams that they traditionally wouldn't beat. Lexington was a good win...one that nobody saw coming, but Lexington also lost to Liberty, and wasn't a very good team at all early this season. Bolivar had high expectations with some talented players, but to be realistic they were just above average, and Milan underachieved all season. Still the Hornets won those games when expected to lose by many, and have gained confidence from them. That is what I meant by dang...they beat them!!! Their schedule had some tough opponents, and that will help, but getting the monkey off their back with Milan was probably their signature win...you can't always figure "best win" on paper.

I have heard the same thing from several people about the Lexington win. Its not the same team. Well SGC took its foot off the pedal and could have really embarrassed the tigers. Our coach has to much class and dignity to do that. Lexington set the tone for the season. I honestly believe we leave Memphis with a W this friday. Thats why we play the games!

5 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

I have heard the same thing from several people about the Lexington win. Its not the same team. Well SGC took its foot off the pedal and could have really embarrassed the tigers. Our coach has to much class and dignity to do that. Lexington set the tone for the season. I honestly believe we leave Memphis with a W this friday. Thats why we play the games!

I hope your coach don't go into Memphis with the same mindset. They're not going to take their foot off the gas for No One lol.

14 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Well, if 4A Lexington set the tone, what did the 4A Crockett County game do for the team? Your guys went there and got doubled up on. You think maybe the coach took his foot off the pedal a tab bit too early? For that matter, what the heck happened when you faced your fellow Region 7 - 3A opponent Covington? You guys put 21 on the board and still got beat by four TDs. That Covington game happened at home too! What is a guy to think? Were those two games anomolies? I don't think so.

I honestly believe that SGC will come into Raleigh-Egypt Stadium and leave Memphis with an L. We will see this Friday night. I agree, that's why they play the games!

Edited by kwc

13 hours ago, kwc said:

Well, if 4A Lexington set the tone, what did the 4A Crockett County game do for the team? Your guys went there and got doubled up on. You think maybe the coach took his foot off the pedal a tab bit too early? For that matter, what the heck happened when you faced your fellow Region 7 - 3A opponent Covington? You guys put 21 on the board and still got beat by four TDs. That Covington game happened at home too! What is a guy to think? Were those two games anomolies? I don't think so.

I honestly believe that SGC will come into Raleigh-Egypt Stadium and leave Memphis with an L. We will see this Friday night. I agree, that's why they play the games!

Fair. I will not shame you for your opinion about the Crockett and the Covington losses. the Crockett game was a lot closer than the scoreboard says. We were tied at halftime against Crockett and we had several calls that simply did not go into our favor. I am not making excuses we lost to a better team that night. Crockett won the game fair and square. The covington game came down to turnovers. We gifted the chargers 3 turnovers with fabulous field position and they converted all of them into touchdowns. Also we lost one of our very best defenders on D mid way in the 2nd quarter. He laid lifeless on field for several minutes.... I know you were not there but it was extremely scary and I think it took some of the wind out of our sails. Also we moved the ball against covington and scored some points. Covington is the best team I have watched play this year. 

So " whats a guy to think "  think this. RE is going to run ruff shot over the hornets this Friday and go on to win the state. 

I am telling you that in my honest opinion SGC finds a way to win the game. I am not a coward that hides behind the internet with shameless posts and outlandish words. I own what I say and I am telling you the same thing I said from the start. RE is favored on paper and should be but do not be surprised if SGC comes out of this game with a win. 

Also RE's schedule is terrible. They are undefeated but out of the 11 teams they have played how many have a winning record? 2 long shot says 3? Coach T's strength of schedule has them ranked in the low 40's and SGC is 13th I think. 

I probably will not post again about the game until the following day after the game... Its a long drive home. 

GO HORNETS!!!!!

Edited by ManOfMillions

3 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Fair. I will not shame you for your opinion about the Crockett and the Covington losses. the Crockett game was a lot closer than the scoreboard says. We were tied at halftime against Crockett and we had several calls that simply did not go into our favor. I am not making excuses we lost to a better team that night. Crockett won the game fair and square. The covington game came down to turnovers. We gifted the chargers 3 turnovers with fabulous field position and they converted all of them into touchdowns. Also we lost one of our very best defenders on D mid way in the 2nd quarter. He laid lifeless on field for several minutes.... I know you were not there but it was extremely scary and I think it took some of the wind out of our sails. Also we moved the ball against covington and scored some points. Covington is the best team I have watched play this year. 

So " whats a guy to think "  think this. RE is going to run ruff shot over the hornets this Friday and go on to win the state. 

I am telling you that in my honest opinion SGC finds a way to win the game. I am not a coward that hides behind the internet with shameless posts and outlandish words. I own what I say and I am telling you the same thing I said from the start. RE is favored on paper and should be but do not be surprised if SGC comes out of this game with a win. 

Also RE's schedule is terrible. They are undefeated but out of the 11 teams they have played how many have a winning record? 2 long shot says 3? Coach T's strength of schedule has them ranked in the low 40's and SGC is 13th I think. 

I probably will not post again about the game until the following day after the game... Its a long drive home. 

GO HORNETS!!!!!

Did I strike a nerve? (Sounding like Tweety Bird) I did! I did strike a nerve! Let's see some of your responses. Shall we?

Shame me? ... Coward? ... Outlandish words? Won't post again until after the game? Think RE is going to run roughshod over SGC?

SMH.

Any way. As I've stated before, I'll state again. RE did what good programs do when they are superior then their competition. They didn't play down to them. They dominated who they were supposed to dominate. That's all you can ask a team to do in those instances.

This will be a competitive game. RE will win against a good SGC team. Kaylin will tie or break the record.

That's my opinion.

Have a safe trip everyone!

10 minutes ago, kwc said:

Did I strike a nerve? (Sounding like Tweety Bird) I did! I did strike a nerve! Let's see some of your responses. Shall we?

Shame me? ... Coward? ... Outlandish words? Won't post again until after the game? Think RE is going to run roughshod over SGC?

SMH.

Any way. As I've stated before, I'll state again. RE did what good programs do when they are superior then their competition. They didn't play down to them. They dominated who they were supposed to dominate. That's all you can ask a team to do in those instances.

This will be a competitive game. RE will win against a good SGC team. Kaylin will tie or break the record.

That's my opinion.

When did he call you a coward or say you used outlandish words?  I think you took what he said the wrong way. Also he said why he wouldn't post again but had nothing to do with anything you said KWC. Cmon man.... Your reaching. 

5 hours ago, kwc said:

SMH.

That's my opinion.

I said I probably would not post again but this is comical. You made me laugh. KWC do me a favor and go back and read again what I said. I never called you any names or said that you said anything outlandish. I have said for years that everyone should have to make public who they are. People get on public forums and spread crazy when they can hide behind the internet. Im not one of them. I was simply saying that most everyone around here knows who I am and sharing my honest opinion. 

A special teams play is the difference in this contest. 

KWC have a great Friday. Im looking forward to a hard fought game tonight and may the best team win it. 

GO HORNETS!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

When did he call you a coward or say you used outlandish words?  I think you took what he said the wrong way. Also he said why he wouldn't post again but had nothing to do with anything you said KWC. Cmon man.... Your reaching. 

I never said he called ME a Coward. I never said he that he said the I used outlandish words. Re-read my response. 

Anywho, it's all good. It's a message board where folks give their opinions on things. The teams actually have to play the games regardless of what someone says on here.

I was actually amused at all of the hyperbole.

It is what it is.

Game Day!