Da Haven

dannyq

10 hours ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

The offense will be expected to score more than 21 points in the playoffs this season.

That isn't an unreasonable expectation. Especially with the talent on the wings. There is a senior TE/DE who has verbally commited to Ohio State. There is a senior ATH/WR who has verbally committed to Vanderbilt. There is a senior ATH/WR who has verbally committed to South Carolina. There is also a sophomore ATH/WR who has already been offered by the University of Memphis. So that's Big 10, SEC, SEC, and, to date, a possible AAC talent ... all on the wings. That's not counting the other players on the roster who also contribute in those areas.

Edited by kwc

Memphis' CorMontae Hamilton so determined to play at Ohio State, he took solo bus trip, got offer

Jason Munz, Memphis Commercial AppealPublished 7:04 a.m. CT Aug. 24, 2018

Cormontae Hamilton

(Photo: Mark Weber, The Commercial Appeal)

CorMontae Hamilton has recounted the Greyhound bus story so many times by now, he could likely tell it in his sleep.

The 4 a.m. wakeup call in the middle of summer. The 24-plus hours the 17-year-old spent going from Memphis to Columbus, Ohio, and back — alone. The countless number of Lil Baby, Young Dolph and YoungBoy Never Broke Again tracks that pumped through his Beats by Dre to keep him company. The Uber driver who kindly stopped at a Columbus Chick-fil-A before dropping him off at a Comfort Inn for the night. The gloves and cleats he threw into a backpack and wore the next day at Ohio State’s Friday Night Lights football camp.

Hamilton, a three-star tight end and one of Whitehaven’s senior captains, so coveted a scholarship offer from the Buckeyes that he was willing to do whatever it took to put himself in the right place at the right time to get it.

“My team growing up was the Florida Gators,” said Hamilton, whose family moved to Memphis from Decatur, Illinois, almost a decade ago. “And Urban Meyer was the head coach there at the time. So I had been feeling Ohio State for a long while.”

Whitehaven's Cormontae Hamilton runs through drills

Whitehaven's Cormontae Hamilton runs through drills during a recent practice.  (Photo: Mark Weber/The Commercial Appeal)

Why trip to Columbus, Ohio, was on a Greyhound

But Hamilton’s plans hit a snag shortly before he was set to head north on June 21. The 6-foot-1, 246-pounder’s mother, Nikki Gilmore, couldn’t get off work in time to make the drive. So she nervously agreed to let him board a Greyhound at the Airways Boulevard station.

“I think it was worse for me,” said Gilmore, who dropped her son off early the morning before the one-day camp. “Between me, my mom and my sister, we worried the whole time. They were like, ‘Did you talk to him? Have you heard from him?’ So I called him, like, every other second. And when I wasn’t calling, I was texting. I was telling him to watch the people around him. ‘Watch your surroundings. Make sure you carry your backpack with you at all times. Don’t be texting and tweeting while you’re walking.’

“He was like, ‘Mom, I’m fine.’”

Despite battling an injured shoulder, Hamilton earned the scholarship offer he was after and committed to the Buckeyes on July 27. 

Hamilton admitted his trek, which made stops in Nashville, Bowling Green, Louisville and Cincinnati before reaching Columbus, wasn’t the most glamorous. Besides the backpack, folder full of bus tickets and headphones, he carried a pillow and a jar of juice (consisting of apple cider vinegar, ginger and green tea) his mother concocted.

Gilmore has been preparing the all-natural homemade beverages since her youngest son, MarQuavius Jones, died in 2015 at 4 years old from a rare form of cancer (alveolar soft-part sarcoma). Only 80 cases are diagnosed per year, according to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

“They gave him chemo and radiation and he beat it the first time,” Hamilton said of his half-brother’s battle with the disease. “But it somehow came back and my mom decided to try some natural ways to make him better. And it really helped him. But it came back worse.”

“We wanted to eat like (MarQuavius), so he didn’t have to eat that way alone,” Gilmore said. “So ‘Tae’ has kept it going.”

Whitehaven senior Cormontae Hamilton (9) is verbally committed to Ohio State.

Whitehaven senior Cormontae Hamilton (9) is verbally committed to Ohio State. (Photo: Brad Vest/The Commercial Appeal)

What CorMontae Hamilton said about Urban Meyer

Meyer was suspended Wednesday night for the first three games of the season for how he handled what an Ohio State investigation called "a pattern of troubling behavior" by former assistant coach Zach Smith.

Hamilton said the controversy has done nothing to shake his commitment. 

"Not at all," he said, noting offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson has served as his primary recruiter. "Like I tell everyone else, it doesn't bother me. When I heard about it a few weeks ago, I texted (Meyer) and said, 'Wish you well. Hope everything will be all right.'"

Edited by kwc

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ClarkGriswild said:

Any 5A teams sticking out in Memphis this season? Trying to see what may be coming from the West Side of the bracket. 

Memphis 5A is usually Ridgeway or Southwind. Neither look like a contender at this stage of the season. Kirby, on the other hand, is in its third year under coach Chester Flowers. Their QB is a Louiseville commit. They are currently undefeated at 3-0. They play Olive Branch, a 6A north Mississippi team that is pretty good. If they win that game, or even keep it close, then Kirby, in my mind is legit. Keep an eye on Kirby. Southwind and Ridgeway have let me down too many times in the past.

Edited by kwc

• 3 months later...