Coach Morris is stepping down

SHHS87

South Gibson has one good year and defeated a Trezevant team that is at or near rock bottom with the current status of their program, and now we're going to sit here and say that South Gibson is a winning program? There's no consistency going on in Medina. Besides, if a kid move to South Gibson, that's a big mistake.

The Milan Bulldogs will be fine, but I truly believe Kevin Ward won't leave the Big A. I think they'll get an assistant who's down the road and has a big game tomorrow night.

On 11/14/2017 at 9:52 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

Ward would have to deal with Haywood each year and he knows that. However, Crockett is still a good job where going to Milan, may not make it that much better. Swenson, he is in the perfect situation where he is at. Bowling, he is getting everything he wants. But it’s up to him if he wants to move to Milan or not. I know one guy that should be considered, he is just down the highway. Just down the highway.

Which coach "down the highway" are you talking about? People in Milan say they want the offense opened up. Swenson and Bowling are the exact opposite of that. Great coaches and I hope Swenson stays forever. 

13 hours ago, RockyTop98 said:

Which coach "down the highway" are you talking about? People in Milan say they want the offense opened up. Swenson and Bowling are the exact opposite of that. Great coaches and I hope Swenson stays forever. 

He maybe referring to a coach employed at Trenton...  Marley, Vowell or Driggers have been head coaches.  Marley would open the offense up, but how long would he coach?  I would not think they would hire Vowell or Driggers.  

On a side note I hope the "powers that be" are not swayed by the fans desire for anything and instead make the best hire.  Even a school as good as Milan can experience a bad run if the wrong coach is hired.  Look at Union City and Henry County as an example.  Go after a coach who has built/mantained a successful program and steal them away.  In no particular order (other than alphabetical) , Bowling, Comer, Counce, Gray, Hookfin, Jacobs, Swenson or Ward. 

Edited by riverrat

2 hours ago, riverrat said:

He maybe referring to a coach employed at Trenton...  Marley, Vowell or Driggers have been head coaches.  Marley would open the offense up, but how long would he coach?  I would not think they would hire Vowell or Driggers.  

On a side note I hope the "powers that be" are not swayed by the fans desire for anything and instead make the best hire.  Even a school as good as Milan can experience a bad run if the wrong coach is hired.  Look at Union City and Henry County as an example.  Go after a coach who has built/mantained a successful program and steal them away.  In no particular order (other than alphabetical) , Bowling, Comer, Counce, Gray, Hookfin, Jacobs, Swenson or Ward. 

Driggers would be a definite no. His track record as a head coach has been worse than horrible. I wouldn't mind Vowell but he isn't a spring chicken. I am sure that is who most of the posters are referring to when they are mentioning my some one "just down the highway". 

19 hours ago, RockyTop98 said:

I was referring to Vowell, but he is not an offensive coach. Though, I do think he's ready to be a head coach again. However, if Milan fans wants an offensive coach that'll run a spread offense (if you want to open the offense up) then Blake Butler could be a guy to come to my mind, but I don't think Milan fans would want Blake Butler, coming from 2A via multiplier that's content with 7-8 wins, to a 3A school that wants deep playoff success. Plus TCA pretty much has to run a spread offense because their lineman are the same size as their receivers. After that, there's not many guys I can think of because West Tennessee had a below average year in football. 

I know Milan will do well with anyone they pick. I would be for Ward because of his winning ways. People can beat him sometimes but I have never known a coach (personally) who could out-work him. I think his big secret is hard work, and he probably learned that while playing at Milan. There are other good ones, but Ward would be hard to beat as the next Milan coach. 

On 11/16/2017 at 4:50 PM, howdoitknow said:

They could hear from Matt McConnell from Waverly Central High School.  The job he has done there the last 4 years is incredible.  

True, Matt would be a good pick for any team. I can't remember Waverly ever stringing together four great years like they have over the past four.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:12 PM, pizzpatriot said:

Personally, I feel for who ever comes in there. If they don’t win off the bat, could get rough. Those folks over there are used to winning!

Pays better than most jobs in West Tn.  Better athletes and tradition also.  If the coach doesn't win he should be sent packing.  It is Milan not (insert your school here) after all.  Best job in West Tn.

5 minutes ago, BigStickDiplomacy said:

Pays better than most jobs in West Tn.  Better athletes and tradition also.  If the coach doesn't win he should be sent packing.  It is Milan not (insert your school here) after all.  Best job in West Tn.

The coaching supplement Morris was receiving was VERY large.  He earned every penny of it though. Be very interested to see if it stays where it is with a new coach coming in.