TSSAA Agenda Item - Unsportsmanlike Conduct

RedStateReject

Saw this on the legislative agenda for the TSSAA. 

1. Proposed Addition to Article III, Section 10 (Unsportsmanlike Conduct) of the TSSAA/TMSAA Bylaws:
    If a fan is ejected from an athletic contest, the school will be given a choice of removing the fan for a minimum of the next two contests or fined $500.00 and face further disciplinary action. If a fan is ejected from an athletic contest, and the fan is a relative of a student-athlete participating in the contest, the school will be given a choice of removing the student-athlete and the fan for a minimum of the next two contests or fined $500.00 and face further disciplinary action.
    Rationale:The TSSAA and its member schools believe strongly that the major purpose of athletics is to be a part of the total educational program. A major part of this purpose is to stress to coaches, players, officials, and fans the vital importance of sportsmanship. It is critical that everyone in each of these categories understand the major role model that they can be for others. Recognizing this principle, unsportsmanlike conduct on the part of these groups cannot be accepted. (Submitted by the TSSAA staff)

I am all in favor of the first part, but the second stipulation of suspending a student-athlete for the conduct of a relative who has been ejected from a game does seem to go to far. What say you Coach T Nation?

11 minutes ago, RedStateReject said:

According to the entry, this idea/amendment was made by staff at the TSSAA. Apparently, they think this a great idea, worthy of debate. Sorry, but I think its time to go back to the drawing board and come up with something that will enhance the sports in Tennessee, not hurt the athletes.

Simply cannot attach a fan to a student athlete. I don't have a problem with making the fan's suspension longer. Some of these loud-mouthed dads need to pipe down and quit embarrassing their kids.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cherokean said:

Guessing this item is somewhat a direct result of what occurred at a Pickett Co. football game this season.  A $500 fine that's double the fine for first incident coach ejection...IMO, boo on T$$AA for another possible money grab.  

Could of been a result of the Tyner fans fighting in the stands following their loss in Cookeville.

On 12/7/2017 at 8:35 AM, RedStateReject said:

Saw this on the legislative agenda for the TSSAA. 

1. Proposed Addition to Article III, Section 10 (Unsportsmanlike Conduct) of the TSSAA/TMSAA Bylaws:
    If a fan is ejected from an athletic contest, the school will be given a choice of removing the fan for a minimum of the next two contests or fined $500.00 and face further disciplinary action. If a fan is ejected from an athletic contest, and the fan is a relative of a student-athlete participating in the contest, the school will be given a choice of removing the student-athlete and the fan for a minimum of the next two contests or fined $500.00 and face further disciplinary action.
    Rationale:The TSSAA and its member schools believe strongly that the major purpose of athletics is to be a part of the total educational program. A major part of this purpose is to stress to coaches, players, officials, and fans the vital importance of sportsmanship. It is critical that everyone in each of these categories understand the major role model that they can be for others. Recognizing this principle, unsportsmanlike conduct on the part of these groups cannot be accepted. (Submitted by the TSSAA staff)

I am all in favor of the first part, but the second stipulation of suspending a student-athlete for the conduct of a relative who has been ejected from a game does seem to go to far. What say you Coach T Nation?

I agree