Top Team Rankings

ObserverW

4 minutes ago, Bump11 said:

Please expand on this because I’m not remembering the last time. Baylor maybe? Or the Bros?

I'm not sure on a lot of other teams but I know CBHS did crack the top 25 when Kaleb Baker was there. They won the KC Stampede that year. Maybe 2012. I'm not exactly sure of the year. Maybe Garrett could help on that.

8 hours ago, WrestlingGod said:

I'm not sure on a lot of other teams but I know CBHS did crack the top 25 when Kaleb Baker was there. They won the KC Stampede that year. Maybe 2012. I'm not exactly sure of the year. Maybe Garrett could help on that.

Best CB ever did at KC was 6th in 2011 and I don’t see CB ranked in the national polls at that time. I don’t ever remember a TN being ranked in the national polls, sadly TN just isn’t at that level, GA has had a few through the years with Collins Hill, Archer and FL with Brandon, but the south itself hasn’t had that many ranked teams.

On 12/29/2017 at 0:00 PM, WrestlingGod said:

On 12/29/2017 at 8:43 PM, cobrakid8 said:

Best CB ever did at KC was 6th in 2011 and I don’t see CB ranked in the national polls at that time. I don’t ever remember a TN being ranked in the national polls, sadly TN just isn’t at that level, GA has had a few through the years with Collins Hill, Archer and FL with Brandon, but the south itself hasn’t had that many ranked teams.

15 hours ago, SAC said:

Fairly certain CBHS entered the Fab 50 poll a few years ago. Not top 25 but did appear in the Intermat preseason poll (2012). 

CBHS has never cracked the top 25 (in any reputable poll), nor has any TN team in the time that I have been following wrestling in the state or that I have seen covered in my searches through history.  not saying it hasn't happened but I don't believe it has happened in the modern timeframe where I think national rankings are a little more solid, etc. as the exposure has grown so much in the last decade and a half or so.

The 2011-2012 CBHS team ended the year ranked 47th in the nation  by Intermat.  I believe that they got as high as the mid-30's that season after they knocked off the previous #30 ranked team, Blue Springs (MO), who had finished a few spots ahead of them in KC.  That dual score was somewhere around 35-18.  I think the dual with Soddy Daisy earlier in the year was closer but we all know duals are about match-ups, etc.  As someone mentioned, CBHS finished 6th at the Kansas City Invitational / Stampede (can't remember which name it was using then).  I could probably dig up some snapshots of those mid-season rankings to know exactly what it was they were ranked but that might take me some time. 

The 2012-2013 CBHS team also ended the year ranked 47th in the nation by Intermat.  They only managed a 14th place finish at Kansas City that season but were missing some starters including defending champion Kaleb Baker.  I don't remember how high their ranking climbed during the season that year.  I do think that was the year they set the scoring record at the Granite City Tournament they won over a tough Archer team out of GA.  They also had some big wins over traditional powers like Mater Dei (IN) and Merrilville (IN).  I think they took a lose to Pope (GA) at the Cleveland Duals that year as their only lose.

There have been very few SE teams that have entered the top 25 through the years.  Brandon (FL) was up there for quite a while and right now Lake Highland Prep seems to be representing Florida in the national rankings.  GA has had some teams that have made it that high in the past like Collins Hill and Archer from what I remember.  As has been mentioned here before there always seems to be a rotating power in the Atlanta, GA that can get into the rankings... Collins Hill, Pope, Archer, etc. and then Camden has been strong as of late.  Beyond that national ranking representation in the SE is hard to find. 

Teams really have to get out and hit the bigger events where the other ranked teams will be and then you have to be able to hold your own and pick-up wins if you want a chance to crack into those rankings.

Very few people in the state really understand what a team competing at that level looks like and what it takes to get there.

Edited by ghouse
additional info

1 hour ago, ghouse said:

CBHS has never cracked the top 25 (in any reputable poll), nor has any TN team in the time that I have been following wrestling in the state or that I have seen covered in my searches through history.  not saying it hasn't happened but I don't believe it has happened in the modern timeframe where I think national rankings are a little more solid, etc. as the exposure has grown so much in the last decade and a half or so.

The 2011-2012 CBHS team ended the year ranked 47th in the nation  by Intermat.  I believe that they got as high as the mid-30's that season after they knocked off the previous #30 ranked team, Blue Springs (MO), who had finished a few spots ahead of them in KC.  That dual score was somewhere around 35-18.  I think the dual with Soddy Daisy earlier in the year was closer but we all know duals are about match-ups, etc.  As someone mentioned, CBHS finished 6th at the Kansas City Invitational / Stampede (can't remember which name it was using then).  I could probably dig up some snapshots of those mid-season rankings to know exactly what it was they were ranked but that might take me some time. 

The 2012-2013 CBHS team also ended the year ranked 47th in the nation by Intermat.  They only managed a 14th place finish at Kansas City that season but were missing some starters including defending champion Kaleb Baker.  I don't remember how high their ranking climbed during the season that year.  I do think that was the year they set the scoring record at the Granite City Tournament they won over a tough Archer team out of GA.  They also had some big wins over traditional powers like Mater Dei (IN) and Merrilville (IN).  I think they took a lose to Pope (GA) at the Cleveland Duals that year as their only lose.

There have been very few SE teams that have entered the top 25 through the years.  Brandon (FL) was up there for quite a while and right now Lake Highland Prep seems to be representing Florida in the national rankings.  GA has had some teams that have made it that high in the past like Collins Hill and Archer from what I remember.  As has been mentioned here before there always seems to be a rotating power in the Atlanta, GA that can get into the rankings... Collins Hill, Pope, Archer, etc. and then Camden has been strong as of late.  Beyond that national ranking representation in the SE is hard to find. 

Teams really have to get out and hit the bigger events where the other ranked teams will be and then you have to be able to hold your own and pick-up wins if you want a chance to crack into those rankings.

Very few people in the state really understand what a team competing at that level looks like and what it takes to get there.

Thanks ghouse, my point was proven

Edited by fooseball95

I was honored to be a part of the 1997 John Overton H.S. team that cracked the USA Today Top 25 National Poll. During the 1995–1998 time frame, the Bobcat wrestlers won the State's Traditional State Tournament twice (1996 and 1997) and finished in the top six twice (sixth in 1995 and second in 1998). Moreover, the wrestling team won the Tennessee state Dual Title in 1997 with an undefeated dual record of 29-0. They finished in the top four in each of those years in the dual tournament having placed fourth in 1995, third in 1996, champion in 1997, and third in 1998.

During this time, the Overton wrestlers had many individual state champions and All-Americans such as University of Nebraska recruit, Charles McTorry,[10][11] Eric and Derrick Jordan, former Sacred Heart University Head Coach Casey Brewster, Timothy Drinkwine, Robby Lee, William Hadden, and others. 

Coach Ralph Gabriel, took the team to many national tournaments such as the US Open in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, the Virginia Duals in Hampton Virginia, the Tournament of Champions in Reno, Nevada. Other tournaments attended were in New Orleans, Central Square, New York, Herndon, Virginia; and Chattanooga, Tennessee.